Flight over Lake Eyre

Submitted: Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 13:12
ThreadID: 89115 Views:1686 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Any recommendations as to take the flight from Maree or William Creek. Also is it better in the morning or later in the day.
Thanks, Robert & Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 13:47

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 13:47
Hi , Last year I flew from William Ck at around 8.30 am in Sept , it was good ,clear and calm but I do not know which is the best place to fly from or what time . I cannot ask the pilot what time is best as it was his last day and he is now ferrying big money gamblers between Melb and Hong Kong .
AnswerID: 465472

Reply By: AdelaideGeorge - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 13:48

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 13:48
Hi my wife and I passed through William Creek a couple of months ago and asked the people at the flight booking centre opposite the pub about going up. They were helpful and tried to fit us in but we didn't want to wait 2-3 odd hours until a seat was available so in the end we didn't take a flight.

Just wanted you say that are nice, helpful people (we spoke to the lady pilot at the office) and it may be best to phone ahead and book a flight (if they'll do that).

As I indicated in my post after we got back, I wouldn't recomend anybody actually stay at William Creek - booking ahead, taking the flight and moving on would be my choice. Accomodation at Maree would be far far superior so if you've got to stop, stop there I'd suggest

As for the time of day, I think I recall someone saying that sunset is great - I may be wrong.

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 465473

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:26

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:26
George,

You must be joking mate!
What sort of accomodation are you talking about?

Robert & Julie,

I have camped at William Creek on a couple of occasions and love the character of the place. The camp ground opposite the pub has all the ammenities required. We stayed three nights last time there as we took a flight in the evening of the second day to the Painted Hills, then a flight the next day over Lake Eyre, along the edge of the Simpson Desert and stopped over for a couple of hours at Dalhousie Springs for a dip, then on to the Pink Roadhouse for an Oodnadatta Burger for lunch, before returning to William Creek.
The William Creek Hotel is an Australian icon and one of the great outback pubs to experience, so if you have the time to drive there, my advice is to go.

As for Marree, not much there as far as I'm concerned. Would not consider an overnight stop there.

Wrightsair can arrange pickup from Cooper Pedy, as well as their base at William Creek, so it depends on how much time is available to you.
Coober Pedy is easily accessable being on the main route along the Stuart Highway and there is lots there to see and do.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 739546

Follow Up By: AdelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 15:54

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 15:54
No I'm definiely not joking mate! I called in and looked at the new acccomodation at the Maree Hotel - it's excellent - for SA outback and probably for any accomodation anywhere. The camping ground is also far nicer to look at but the showers couldn't be any worse than William Creek!

I took a short video of the water dripping out of the shower at the William Creek campground and have other evidence to back up my view but of course it's just a persona; view.

[I don't have any connection whatsoever with William creek or Maree faciilities]
FollowupID: 739613

Follow Up By: P and JM - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 14:28

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 14:28
YES...YES have to fully agree, one can pee more water than what comes from those taps at William Creek C'van park across from Hotel
FollowupID: 739676

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 18:34

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 18:34
You guys have sure got some interesting priorities when it comes to remote outback travel.

Water is kind of scarce out William Creek way except for that residing in Lake Eyre at present, but that is a different matter altogether:-)

I guess I just prefer to talk to the Dingos and watch the incredible sunsets, than waste time and precious resources on a high pressure shower, every day.

Different folk see things in their own way and with their own set of priorities, even when travelling through the outback.
For us, we are satisfied if we manage a shower or wash every three days or so.
Anything less is pure luxury, but we don't expect it and don't rate locations based purely on ablutions.

Bill

FollowupID: 739699

Follow Up By: AdelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 20:30

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 20:30
waht rubbish!!...my wife and I wash in a litre of water each per day for most of the time we are on a trip and bush camping - HOWEVER.........when we PAY good money to use a commercial camp site we EXPECT to get what we pay for........and that includes a SHOWER......our bush camp showers work 1000% better than the Willam Creek showers so............they shouldn't charge for, or represent they have, showers when in reality they don't have what most people in Australia would call a shower!

Additionaly, the campground is awful!!!!!!!.......in my opinion.

[I emphasise, I have no axe to grind-no commercial interest in rubbishing any thing or anybody but this is my personal opinion from personal experience. I don't take tours through William Creek - I don't have any reason to denigrate of promote anything or anybody. I have no financial interest at all in any outback resort campground or town]
FollowupID: 739718

Follow Up By: AdelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 21:22

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 21:22
it just occurred to me - the 'showers' are in such a putrid state that the water cannot posibbly be potable anyway - the mineral deposits indicate that it's bore water they use in the showers

Happy days

George
FollowupID: 739727

Reply By: Member - Jeff W (QLD) - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 14:53

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 14:53
Hi Robert,

We took the flight from William ck last year and found it to be very good. The only draw back if any is that the runway is very easily affected by rain and can cause flights to be cancelled.

Cheers and enjoy the experience.

Jeff
AnswerID: 465476

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff W (QLD) - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 14:54

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 14:54
Forgot to mention. The colours of the afternoon flight are great.
FollowupID: 739491

Follow Up By: mchapo - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 16:48

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 16:48
William Creek strip has been sealed, now beautiful tarmac
FollowupID: 739498

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 15:01

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 15:01
Harry & Julie,

Wife and I did a 3 day air tour with Wrights Air from William Creek over the whole Lake Eyre area in July. We flew via Marree right up the lake one day and from east to west to William Creek the next day. I think you will see most for a given flight time from Marree. The track is over Muloorina Station and the south lake past level post bay and up the east coast of the north lake. You will probably see the points at which Cooper and Warburton Creeks flow into the lake and possibly do a fly over of the punt on the Cooper.

The hotel facilities at William Creek are rather ordinary and the dongas in the camping park are about the same standard. I understand from Wrights Air that some cabins with en suit are being built. If you are camping the camp ground is reasonable for its location. We found the food and drinks at the pub OK for price, quality and meal size.

Hope that helps.

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 465479

Reply By: Des G - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 16:31

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 16:31
Hi my wife and I took the two hour flight out of Marree,we went on the early morning flight,7am itwas $260 pp. and would highly recommend it absalutly amazing at that time of day.that was at the start of August,we booked at the servo and stayed at the caravan park.which ever way you decide to go am sure you will really enjoy it.not to be missed .Des
AnswerID: 465484

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 18:17

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 18:17
Trevor Wright and his team at William Creek are excellent. But you need to book ahead. Those who don't can wait for a day at this time of the year so give them a call or email to sort things out

Doesn't matter what time of the day if you take the two hour flight as long as the sun is shining or the light is good otherwise the lake absorbs the sky colour and photographs can look washed out

Lunch or dinner at the pub is always good

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 465495

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 19:33

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 19:33
Can't comment on Maree, but from William Ck - excellent. Recommend the first flight of the day over the Painted Hills and Lake Eyre. The air is as still as it will be all day, it is very clear and the low lighting enhances the Painted Hills. (We found the Painted Hills much more special than the Lake!)

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 465503

Reply By: harry & the hobbit - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:19

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:19
Thanks for all replies. It would seem that anytime is a good time. Can,t wait.
Regards, Harry & the Hobbit
AnswerID: 465512

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 16:51

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 16:51
Gooday, we have just come back from doing a flight out of Lyndhurst, book at the Hotel, flight took 2.3 hrs, 380 dollars per person, flew from Lyndhurst to Cooper Creek Crossing, down the wetlands into Lake Eyre North then to Lake Eyre south and back across Marree. Absolutely money well spent and would recommend it most highly. We were originally heading for William Creek to fly out of there, however saw the sign outside the pub at Lyndhurst and inquired, so glad we did. If your camping we can recommend Farina, great fun. Our flight was in the morning, great best time. Also no great wait for the flight. The flight over the Cooper Creek wetland was awesome and not to be missed.

Kind regards

Mike and Lyn R.
AnswerID: 465578

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 18:49

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011 at 18:49
Mike and Lyn, did that flight cover the Painted Desert as well ?
FollowupID: 739624

Follow Up By: Member - Mike R2 - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:42

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:42
No it did not.......Regards Mike R.
FollowupID: 739665

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 18:43

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 18:43
Lancie49,

Just for your reference, the Painted Desert and Painted Hills are two different locations, some hundreds of kilometres apart.

The Painted Desert can be accessed by vehicle (also worthwhile) while the Painted Hills are on private land (Anna Creek Station I believe) and only publicly accessible by air.

Bill

FollowupID: 739702

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:21

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:21
But the easiest landscape of this type to see is the Breakaways near Coober Pedy. Not as extensive, but it gives you the idea.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739707

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:46

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:46
Thanks fellers, confusement reigns in my tiny mind..................
FollowupID: 739709

Sponsored Links