Sturt NP

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:49
ThreadID: 89225 Views:1672 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What are the best campsites in Sturt NP?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 15:04

Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 15:04
For what?....a bit more info and even a please or thank you may elicit more info.
Courtesy costs nothing.
Happy camping or whatever. Witi.
AnswerID: 466009

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 16:06

Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 16:06
We have recently stayed at the Dead Horse campsite just outside Tibooburra and also at Fort Gray, and we also had a look but did not stay at the campground at the eastern end of the park.

They all have long drop toilets and picnic shelters with free gas BBQs and a rainwater tank. The eastern end one seemed rather open. The Fort Grey area is level and also fairly open, but they are all OK as a basic NP campground, so not much to choose between them.

Which one to use would rather depend on where you want to go in the park. I think from memory there is a camping fee of $12 plus a 3 day (?) park entry fee payable (unless you have an annual pass) = $17 for one night.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466017

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Monday, Sep 26, 2011 at 00:40

Monday, Sep 26, 2011 at 00:40
Can't say what is the best one. The only one we have stayed at was Fort Grey in July this year. One night we had the entire campground to ourselves (2 vehicles). The next there were at least 8 other cars there.
Plenty of space, sheltered BBQs, long drop dunnies.
The contemporary Fort Grey homestead is only a few hundred metres away so you can hear their generator running during the night. It is not intrusive, but it is noticeable.Lake Pinaroo is a short walk away (15 minutes). It had quite a bit of water in it for the first time in many years.

For photos from Fort grey campground see here. For Photos of Lake Pinaroo see here and for photos of the Old Fort Grey Homestead Ruins see here
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 466053

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Monday, Sep 26, 2011 at 15:11

Monday, Sep 26, 2011 at 15:11
Hey Charlgrave,
I have always preferred the camp at Olive Downs - amongst mulga so a fair bit of shade (provided you get in close!), and a lot more privacy because of the number of mulga trees. It's been 2 years since I was there so can't guarantee it hasn't changed.
AnswerID: 466077

Sponsored Links