Tyre Question

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:03
ThreadID: 8948 Views:1549 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have done a search of the archives but have found nothing to set my mind at rest.My situation is this,I have just purchased a '94 GQ patrol DX 4.2D,it has a two inch lift and a brand new set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Lt 285/75R 16 tyres,is this set up legal in N.S.W.? It also has extractors,GIO refused to insure it when I informed them of this(been with them 25 years,never made a claim),AAMI were happy to cover me with with up to four modifications,I listed tyres as one of the mods but just told him they were "biger" he seemed happy with this,could this come back and bite me on the arse?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:42

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:42
could this come back?? Think about it.. its an insurance company... Tell them EVERYTHING.. Even when you Wee. Little things are what they love to use to get out of claims.

Check the RTA Web site for the Mods section.. Your allowed 15% bigger I think.. Not sure, or try your luck and call them. not that it will get you far.. None of them speak english.

Also try The GQ List

Wont insure you with extractors? LMAO!!! What a serious mod that is.. Insurance companies. I dislike them.
AnswerID: 39359

Reply By: fitter - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:12

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:12
P.C.
I am in the process of buying a new patrol and as an option i wanted 285/75R 16 tyres fitted from new. The responce i got from Nissan was that they would be happy to fit 265/75R 16 tyres but the 285 tyres would be illegal.
As was suggested in the other responce, it is your responceability to notify the insurers of every detail, otherwise they will only hold it against you if the worst happens.

Good luck,

Cheers.
AnswerID: 39387

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Dec 11, 2003 at 16:25

Thursday, Dec 11, 2003 at 16:25
Fitter, did you ask them about the alternate tyre placard? The Patrol GU guys here should be able to tell you more/confirm it, but my understanding is that because the cab chasis model ran larger tyres but is part of the Patrol range, then the law about the largest tyre/wheel combo relates to the largest in the range, i.e. the largest run on the cab chasis model. For that reason Nissan produce replacement placards (at about $11, I think) for Patrol wagon owners. That has meant the 285/75/16 became a legal tyre option for you (in NSW, at least).

Happy hunting.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 257597

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Dec 10, 2003 at 13:47

Wednesday, Dec 10, 2003 at 13:47
P.C. there is plenty on this topic in these archives - I've written a bunch of it. Also over on Overlander Forum you'll find a thread dedicated to this.

In short, look at your tyre placard and decide which is the largest diameter tyre it allows you to fit. Calculate the standard diameter (tyre width x profile x 2) plus rim in millimetres. For example (245 x .70 x 2) + 16 x (25.4) = 749.4 mm diameter. In this equation the .70 is the profile (read the other threads for an explanation if interested).

Once you've worked out the std, add 3%, e.g 749.4 x 1.03 = 771.9

Now add the 15 mmm allowed in NSW without an engineer's cert and you get a maximum allowable diameter of 787 mm.

Now, go find out what actual diameter your Duelers are and you'll have your answer.

The 2" lift is legal.

Truckster is right - tell the insurers everything.

AAMI are pretty good for 4x4 insurance (there is also 1 or 2 threads on that in here too). You'll find they don't consider tyres a mod, just an accessory. The lift and the extractors are mods so you have 2 left.

Smile, you're on ExplorOz
AnswerID: 39851

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Dec 11, 2003 at 16:21

Thursday, Dec 11, 2003 at 16:21
Oh, a couple of other things to bear in mind:

1) A wider tyre with the same profile, will also have a larger diameter and,
2) You may not exceed a 26 mm increase in width without an engineer's certificate.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 257595

Sponsored Links