Copilot software

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 16:39
ThreadID: 8965 Views:1509 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Has anyone seen the copilot incar navigation sofware in use yet?. It sounds very cool, if you're into that sort of thing. Unlike Ozi Explorer (which I think is an excellent program) it uses vector based maps and it can plot routes and tell you when to turn etc . It also tells you approching fixed speed cameras and other points of interest. I would really like to see it in action.

On another (sort of related) note, A while back I posted details about a computer I was building for my car with MP3, DVD oziexplorer etc. At the time I was still not sure what type of screen I would be using but a few users asked for info on screens.

If anyone is into this sort of project I have found a supplier for an excellent screen. The screen is 7.2 inch and unlike most of the incar screens around it has a true VGA connector on it. The navtive resolution is 800 by 570 (something like that but will go higher). It also comes with a touch screen option delivered to Sydney for about $400, non touch screen is cheaper. From all acounts this screen is VERY bright and can even be viewed in direct sunlight. I havent bought one yet but will in the new year. The screen also has two composite video inputs (for video camera etc).

The brand is lilliput and they are being sold on ebay by a dealer in Hong Kong. User opinions can be found at www.mp3car.com.

I find using a laptop in the car a pain and have found PDAs to small for maping which is why I am puting this computer together, that and its an interesting project.

Some people are using this screen with a laptop. They hide the laptop under the seat and use this screen mounted on the roof or dash (the image can be inverted). Windows XP comes with a software keyboard so the touchscreen can be used as a keyboard and a mouse. I have read posts on this forum asking how and where to mount a laptop in the car and think this would be a good option.
Cheers
Groove
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:20

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:20
Groove

I haven't seen the co-pilit nav system yut.

However I would be very interested in what you have done so far re your in car PC. And also when you order the new screen how you find it.

No rush for a reply.

Thanks in advance

PT
AnswerID: 39421

Follow Up By: Groove - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:47

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:47
Hi Paul,
I will let you know how I go with the screen.

About the computer, I bought a VIA mini ITX mother board and had started fabricating a case out of alluminium and perspex. I found a suplier for a 12 volt DC DC convertor made especailly for ITX motherboards running in a car ($49) all was looking good.

Then I saw a carputer setup using a laptop and decided to examin my existing laptop a little closer.

It turns out my laptop will start up and run with the screen closed (there is a setting in the setup) and will still send a pitcure to an external monitor at a different resolution to the built in display.

Taking this into account I decided to srcap the dedicated computer idea and work with the laptop. Now I am building a platform similar to a fridge slide under the drivers seat that the laptop will attach to with velcro straps.

All cables will be attached to the slide and it should be a simple job to remove the laptop if needed. This is cheating abit on the carputer idea but why reinvent the wheel, also I figure laptops are design to take a bit a bump now and then so it is well suited to the job. The only unresolve issue is a remote on switch so I dont have to fiddle about under the seat to swtich the thing on, this will require a bit of a hack to the laptop but nothing too hard.

The ITX motherboard will now be turned into a mp3 jukebox and high definition ditigal TV reciever and video recorder, but thats another project.
Cheers
FollowupID: 257187

Sponsored Links