Electric towing brakes unit for Hyundai Terracan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 16:39
ThreadID: 91005 Views:2334 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to get my 2006 Hyundai Terracan fitted with an electric brake unit for towing a caravan. Appreciate any lessons learnt on this as enquiries to various Auto Electricians for a price has shown a vast variation in prices and what each considers the best unit.

Old Mal (but a wise old one)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:35

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:35
G'day Mal,

I reckon it's hard to go past a Tekonsha Prodigy. I've had one on conventional electric drum brakes and currently on electric over hydraulic disc brakes and it's been great on both.

There are later models from Tekonsha now, P2 and P3, I think. You might have to get one of those if you choose the Tekonsha brand, as the Prodigy might be superseded.

Unlike some others, the Prodigy is auto levelling (ie you can mount it at almost any angle and it compensates.) Also it is "smart" in that it senses how hard you're braking and applies appropriate braking to the van to match. (It has an accelerometer in it.)

I have found that with this unit both vans I've had almost look after themselves as far as braking is concerned - braking distance in an emergency stop is only slightly longer than normal - but that will depend on your own van and its brakes. Eg my current van, a Kimberley Karavan at 2200kg loaded, brakes better than the previous Avan at 1200 loaded.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474040

Follow Up By: Old Mal - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:48

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:48
Thanks Frank,

Just booked it in with my local Auto Electrican for the Teconsha Prodigy

Cheers

Old Mal
FollowupID: 748920

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:44
Mal,

The main thing to consider is whether the brake controller can be mounted without interfering with leg room.

I considered the Prodigy unit, then determined that the way it mounts in a cradle hanging under the dash, there was no way it was going to fit in my Colorado.
My knees would have been in the way and bashed against the "obstruction" and I am not an overly tall person.

I decided on the Redarc remote head unit after discussion with the rep at the Camper Trailer business I bought my camper from.
They use a Redarc unit to control a trailer that carries three campers at a time.

Personally, I don't give a tinker's cuss as to the mechanics of one type over the other.
The Redarc unit is attractive in price and works smoothly in practice.
Best of all, it fitted well up under the dash, away from potential restricted leg access and the control knob and LED indicator fitted easily, on the dash, adjacent to the steering column.

Just confirm leg room before you commit and fork out the dollars.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474050

Follow Up By: Old Mal - Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:35

Thursday, Jan 05, 2012 at 17:35
Good Point - thanks Bill, I'll discuss it with the Auto Sparky next week before he installs it

Old Mal (and getting wiser with help from friends)
FollowupID: 749049

Sponsored Links