Camping at Bendethera

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2012 at 23:20
ThreadID: 91125 Views:2401 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Has anyone been down to Bendethera recently? I am planning to go this thursday. How is the track condition when you went? BTW I will be coming into Bendethera via Briadwood with camper.

Thanks in advance.
Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:13

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:13
If you are coming via Middle Mountain road (Braidwood) with a camper it poses quite a challenge. I went in that way near 2 years ago and it is rough. With any recent rain the river crossing can be high and there was considerable sized loose sandstone rocks littering the track. I have been in that way previously to that and found it do able with a trailer but the track was in better condition. If you read my blog, i actually didnt make it all the way in last time but i continued to the Trig point only about 15 or 16 ks in and it was rough going. If there has been some grading in there recently, it may be better now. Moyura is an easier track in i believe but i havent tried that way. I will be going that way from now on.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474536

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:30

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:30
We went there in October. You may have some fun with the trailer but it will get through. I would.

However if a storm is threatening either get out early or wait until its well and truly gone. We were caught in this one and slipped quite a bit on the way down to Dry Creek Crossing. We had to keep going as we wanted to beat any flash flood. It's hard to see a storm coming when in the valley.

Phil

AnswerID: 474539

Reply By: RedCherokee - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 09:25

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 09:25
We went from Araluen road up Dry Creek fire trail, then Merricumbene and out via Dampier fire trail in November. Saw the Bendethera camping area, but didn't actually go down that last bit down into it.

It took 5 hours and 40 litres of fuel to travel 70 kms. No extraordinary problems, just very steep and rocky made for slow going. Water crossings were easy. Dry Creek end has signs saying trailers and caravans not permitted. Didn't notice the same signs from the other end, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

If it were me, I'd take the camper in from Moruya and then go for a fun drive around the trails without the trailer and stress of needing to get somewhere in time to set up camp.

AnswerID: 474543

Follow Up By: Keith Berg - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 14:59

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 14:59
I went in and out last January from Moruya after a week of heavy rain. The track was well maintained but quite steep, wet and slippery in parts. I think you'll be fine with a trailer if the track is dry, but it might be a bit slippery coming out after rain. It's a lovely spot.
FollowupID: 749507

Reply By: siukalo - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 16:43
Thanks all gents. I think I will give it a miss then as I am take a first time camper with me and young family, dont wanna get stuck. I was there say 3 years ago with camper and had no problems with it when dry. Just don't know how bad the track would have been decaded because of idiots. Once again thanks all.
AnswerID: 474577

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 18:09

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 18:09
Its not idiots, its wear and tear from its rugged tracks with little or no maintenance. Its a popular spot so it gets its fair share of traffic from all roads in.!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 749535

Follow Up By: jdbb - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:06
We went through Dry Creek, up Merricubene and back out through Moruya a couple of weeks ago. Merricubene is in pretty good condition but I wouldn't take a trailer that way. You'd be better of going in from Moruya - might be a bit longer drive but would probably be quicker.

The other alternative is to come in from the Braidwood/Cooma road down Dampier FT. Someone else might know if you can get a trailer in that way - there's a couple of hairpins that might make it difficult.

Another place you could think of trying is Stewarts Crossing between Braidwood and Nerriga. Great campsite, good river for the kids - but no toilets.

John
FollowupID: 749551

Follow Up By: RedCherokee - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:46
jdbb,

Do you mean Oallen Ford on the Shoalhaven river? Stopped for a good look there a coupla weeks ago. Plenty of spots to park a camper - up on the ridge under the trees, down on the sandy side, or over on the river stones. Watch out for ant nests up top.

As you say, the river would be great for swimming, or playing on inflatable toys, kayaks etc. As usual, I'd be keeping a close eye any littlies, as the water can get deep and reasonably fast in spots. Plenty busy over Christmas, despite not having any facilities.
FollowupID: 749614

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29
The notices down in the valley say that camper trailers are NOT to go in or out via Dampier Trig, as the track gets torn up.
AnswerID: 474658

Reply By: RedCherokee - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:56

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:56
For first go out in the new camper in that part of the world, I would stick with the old faithful, Shallow Crossing. Yes, you have to pay, but it isn't much.

Reliable dirt roads in, basic toilets (composting) and showers. River is nice to play in. Plenty of space for setting up new campers. Not too far from town if you need to go in for something.
AnswerID: 474659

Sponsored Links