great ocean road from Sydney

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 16:59
ThreadID: 91222 Views:1768 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Just wondering on peoples experiences doing the great ocean road from Sydney. I was thinking maybe down the coast, then across the GOR and up into SA to Mt Gambier (and maybe to Adelaide) then back to Sydney via the Hay plains etc. We will take our time and have a bit of an explore on the way.
*Any points of interest that are a must see?
*Any opinions whether we should go down inland rather than coastal?
*Any tips on where to stop/stay?
We have a 90 series prado and a off road camper trailer, hopefully we are able to find free camp sites along the way (maybe in a c/van park once or twice).
Also, we will have our baby (currently 6 months - hope to travel some time this year), when is the best time of year to do the trip? Hopefully not in school holidays, or when it is freezing cold.
Any input is greatly appreciated. Happy 4wd-ing! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landseka - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:00

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:00
*Any points of interest that are a must see?

YES! The whole road! What a fabulous drive, do it but take your time. It is beautiful.

There is a rain-forest walk at the eastern end, can't remember exactly now, well worth the (not long) walk.

We took a plane flight from one of the charter operators over the 12 (6??) Apostles which we enjoyed.

There is not much along there in the way of free camps so you may have to Park it.

Enjoy it whenever you do it, Spring or Autum outside school hols would be best.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 474995

Follow Up By: emma t - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:10

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 18:10
great thanks...

Also after any must sees along the way to/from. Trying to decide whether to go the coast or inland. Limited to off road as we will be traveling by ourselves (although not scared to give anything a go!)
FollowupID: 749968

Reply By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:26

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:26
You will be doing the GOR from East to West. So do not get at the beginning of the road at 10am (the beginning being the sign accross the road). Coachs and tour buses leave Melbourne early in the morning and reach here at this time. If you are in front, they will be pushing you along and you will not enjoy the trip. It is not a road to have a frustrated coach drive right behind you.
AnswerID: 475003

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:32

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:32
this being the beginning.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8695357/stock-photo-the-great-ocean-road-australia-tourist-destination.html
FollowupID: 749972

Follow Up By: emma t - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:54

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:54
Thanks for the heads up re the coaches!!!

:)
FollowupID: 750015

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:41
The GOR is a great drive & plenty of info on the net.
As regards your getting there...the highway direct to Vic is a quick, but boring drive.
If you are not constrained by time, I would go the coastal route..very scenic in NSW.
In Vic you often have to do side trips off the highway to see the sights, but most are
only short detours. You will need to research the free camp situation..eg Camps 6
book..as free camps to suit a C/t wont be all that plentiful. I would avoid school
holidays for obvious reasons. Temperature shouldnt be an issue in coastal areas,
wind may be..& the water is always cold. The Grampians & rural Vic are nice..
Echuca & the Murray also. Enjoy.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 475055

Follow Up By: emma t - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:52

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 09:52
Thank you! I grew up on the south coast of NSW and there's quite a few places I want to take my other half to show him, plus visit family along the way. As for the camper trailer, it is an off road hard floor job, so its easy to put anywhere, we don't need nice ground like a tent model. And I am hoping my partner can get at least 3 weeks off work, so we can wander!
:)
FollowupID: 750014

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:57

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:57
Hi Emma,

We did a 3 week trip that took in the GOR. Im just starting to put up some blogs over the next week or so, so you might find it useful to have a look at them. We went Canbarra - along the Murray R - Grampians - SW Vic - GOR - home. Very scenic trip.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475066

Sponsored Links