Is the Barry way suitable for small caravans ???

Hi All,
Just wondering if any of you know if the road up from Buchan through to Jindabyne? We are looking at heading that way after Easter this year to start a trip down the Murray for a few weeks. I have had a look at the maps and it would appear that part of the road is gravel. That won't bother us as we have a 4x4 & supreme getaway off-road van. I was more concerned with the width & windiness of the road and it's suitability to be towing along it. Look forward to your replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:10
It looks a bit narrow etc. Have a look at these comments

Suggan Buggan Rd
AnswerID: 475278

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:27

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:27
It's very narrow and windy in places but I've seen 40 foot motorhomes go down there so your caravan should be fine. No problems with my camper trailer.
AnswerID: 475281

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:54
Gooday, We went down from Jindabyne early last year when there was a lot of rain, and the road was treacherous, from the Jindabyne end I had to negotiate 4wd as we were sliding around some of the corners. Should be Ok if dry but honestly would reconsider in there is a lot of rain about.

Regards

Mike
AnswerID: 475285

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38
Hullo Chris

I have travelled this section of road quite a few times, mostly from Jindabyne down into Vic as far as Black Mountain, but sometimes further down and often towing a CT (Tvan).

North of Limestone Rd, this road is generally unsealed and winding and in the wet, can get quite slippery.

The main issue for anyone towing a van is the narrowness, particularly if you meet one of the locals towing a tandem trailer carrying cattle [which we have experienced!]

A section north of Black Mountain to Suggan Buggan is very narrow and cut into the side of a mountain - it is not for the faint hearted! :-) There are few places where it would be safe to pass if both of you are towing and which one of you is going to back up? In the recent past, I understand one vehicle (a 4WD) went over the side, plunging several hundred metres, killing the driver.

Continuing up into NSW, there is another narrow winding section from the river junction at Jacobs River camping area to just north of the Wallace Craigie LO. In this section, you would be on the outside edge of the road winding up the side of a steep gorge. Again, passing opportunities are few and in this case, the road surface is fine gravel whicj becomes quite slippery when wet.

FWIW, my suggestion would be to find an alternative route.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 475292

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:06
Hi Chris,

I just read the caravan forum from the link provided. I am surprised at how gung-ho they seem to be regarding the Barry Way.

We have driven the road many times, often taking a day trip down from Jindabyne to picnic and swim in the river. Other times we have driven right through. It is a beautiful drive and we have done it with our camper a couple of times. Bikers love it. It can be 'heart in the mouth' stuff when something big comes the other way. While one of us is driving the other always watches ahead for any sign of approaching vehicles, especially when we are on the outside with hundreds of feet drop!

Have a great trip whichever way you go.

Min
AnswerID: 475294

Reply By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:55
G'day all, there are DMR signs saying "no caravans" along the way - may be an insurance problem?
hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475297

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:19
Wise words from Andrew in my view - while a solo vehicle with due care is ok, it's right off my list, now that I tow a van on holidays. Came down there a few years back in fine weather towing a camper - quite narrow in places at the northern end with sheer drops aplenty and no guard rails (gulp) - safe passing in some places would be near impossible. I wouldn't dream of taking a van along there - and her ladyship won't go along there ever again anyway :-o).
AnswerID: 475301

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:48
Hi ChrisK. There is an article on The Barry Way in the February issue of On The Road magazine. Although this is supposed to be a magazine for people who travel towing things, as usual, there is nothing in the article about the road and it's suitability for towing vans or camper trailers. It is a major deficiency of articles on places to visit in most caravan magazines.
In the information panel at the end of the article it says "The route is fine for conventional vehicles driven with care. Best time to visit is summer". It gives a phone number of the Snowy River Visitor Centre in Jindabyne for more information - 02 6450 5600.
I drove this route south to north about 35 years ago in a Tryumph 2000 sedan and I remember it as mountainous and narrow. Work has been done since then, no doubt, but widening roads that cling to mountain sides is an expensive business and my guess would be that not too much of that had been done.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475305

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 13:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 13:32
Hi Kevin & others,
Yes, I read the article you mentioned in the latest "On the Road" magazine and also notice that they gave no indication either way about towing a van or camper trailer. In fact because of this lack of info it has caused me to start this thread here. I must agree with most of you that this road is not at the top of my list to traverse. We initially wanted to go up from Cann River via Bombala to get to our eventual destination but thought this one may be a slim chance as an alternate route.
Thanks for all the replies so far, I feel at this stage that it we won't be pulling the van over this road on this trip.
FollowupID: 750263

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:52
Hullo Chris (again :-)
If your option was the Monaro Hwy, you might like to consider the one in between - namely Orbost through Bonang, Delegate and Bombala. Pretty road through forest initially, windy but OK for vans. Delegate is a sleepy town back somewhere in the mid 1900s (which is a plus). If you prefer a bit of dirt, you could turn off through Bendoc.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 750282

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 15:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 15:50
Get in touch with one of the local kayak/canoe companies, they're often taking their trailers down to the river for tours and school camps. But if Barry Way is plan B you might like to think of a plan C for wet weather.

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475317

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:57

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:57
Gday
Kathy and I drove down Barry's way a couple of years back with a high lux and camper trailer . That was after a real wet night and we caught up to the council truck doing road works. I would just drive carefully , like I do. The kids recon i drive like Morgan Freeman ....

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475347

Reply By: bob&loz - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 20:07
We went down from Jindabyne last xmas towing a 20' van and had no worry. It is a very scenic drive and not too narrow if taken slowly in my opinion.

When we turned off and went down over macillops bridge was a different matter. That's not for the faint hearted.
AnswerID: 475355

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 22:16
If I recall correctly, the McKillops Bridge Road has a large "No Caravans" sign near the start and a "No caravans past this point" sign at Little River Falls.

The problem seems to be that a growing percentage of caravaners just seem to take the attitude that signs like that somehow don't apply to them!

As Hugh says below, it is an absolute pain for others coming the other way. In fact, on the McKillops Bridge Road I think it says at the top something like "no passing places for 11 km".

This time last year, there was a Prado towing a Jayco 2.24 m wide camper trailer on the southern end of the Birregun Road coming towards me doing about 60 km/hr. Fortunately I could see the dust cloud some distance off and got into one of the few passing spots. He sped past me with never a wave of acknowledgement, closely followed by another twit doing the same speed!

Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is becoming all too common andf I don't see it changing.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 750303

Follow Up By: bob&loz - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:14

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:14
Andrew
The sign only says not suitable for vans. They are not banned.
I camped the night at little river and went through at 6 am not much chance of meeting anyone and I did not.

The day before a group of 30 odd tractors came through the same road with assorted backup trailers following as well.
FollowupID: 750307

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:36

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:36
G'day Bob & Loz,
I don't tow a van but having been down that road many times i would tow a van down there.
It's all a matter of the drivers confidence & skill levels as to where they can go. I don't know how many times I have been told by people "don't go there you will come unstuck" only to have gone there anyway & wondered what all the fuss was about.
It's a fantastic drive with beautiful views particularly from North to south. I say go for it if you are confident & skillfull towing your van.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 750345

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:39
Stu

I am making a quite different point, albeit allied.

It is not about being able to "safely" negotiate the specific track/road when you are the only vehicle on the road. That of itself is not usually an issue. Viz, if you knew you were the only vehicle on the section of road, go for it. Many of us have been to places that less experienced/skilled people have had doubts about.

It is when the road is so narrow that meeting a vehicle coming in the opposite direction presents a real problem.

When the narrowness of the road is combined with a rugged and in some cases, precipitous terrain, real safety issues are created.

In the case of the McKillops Bridge Road, the trafficable road surface is some 3m wide, in many cases the inside edge has table drain that is cut steeply into the cliff face so that it is not possible with a van to pull very far off the road surface without fouling the sides of the van, and the outside edge has not been compacted and is soft and could well give way, particularly if wet.

Further, in the case of the McKillops Bridge Road, there are few, if any passing places for nearly 11 kms.

Now, if I was travelling up that road and met someone coming the other way towing a van, I might be sorely tempted to pull off to the left as far as practicable, stop, get out a chair and the thermos for a hot drink, take a few pictures of the situation and say to the other driver "I believe there is a sign at the start that says 'Not suitable for vans' - your call" :-)

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 750380

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:35

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:35
G'day Andrew

Actually I do see where your coming from regarding the side road to McKillops bridge. I was more refering to the Barry way running North South. I guess at the end of the day it's up to the individual to make the decision based on the research he is doing.

I have travelled far & wide & I am a little tired of hearing of why I should not go somewhere because of what might happen to me or my vehicle when I have the skills not to get into trouble in the first place or extract myself if I do.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 750396

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:04

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:04
Hullo Stu

Agreed.

Mind you, there are more than a couple of places on the Barry Way where I would prefer not to meet a vehicle towing a van!

For example, the section running parallel to the Ballantyne Hills where the road is narrow, with blind corners and cut into the side of a cliff (where the guy went over the edge and was killed) and some lengths of the section up to Wallace Craigie LO.

I was talking the other day to a property owner down the bottom end near Black Mountain (we left the Tvan there while we went to McKillops Bridge and back) and he doesn't use the road north if it is "busy" (relative term :-), particularly if they are tourists.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 750399

Reply By: Hugh D - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:41
Frankly, if your caravan is wider than your tow vehicle, you will be a monumental pain to any other road users - especially at Easter when there is a lot of traffic on the Barry Way
AnswerID: 475366

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:48
FollowupID: 750300

Reply By: willawa - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 21:55
Hi ChrisK
In a word NO.
It's fine for camper trailers but anything larger could be a problem especially if you meet another van or the like coming down from Jindabyne.
I have seen a guy towing a van and other towing a boat meet on one of the 'thin" sections,not a pretty sight seeing them decide who is going to back up and where!

also you may encounter the odd 'cowboy' driving too quickly.

It can also snow at that time of the year that can make it a little tricky.

Cann River to Bombala would be my suggestion you can then cut across to Jindabyne west of Bombala on the Snowy River way via Dalgety then to Berridale or Dalgety to Jindabyne .
there is camping at Bombala if you want to stop and it's a nice trip also.

cheers
Ed

AnswerID: 475369

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:23

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:23
The Bonang Road is also suitable for vans (Orbost to Delegate) at suitable speeds.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750394

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:11

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:11
Here is a Google Maps street view or the road south of Suggan Buggan. There is 5 or so kilometres of this rising to the south. There are little or no passing spots in that length. Some parts of it have a few hundred metres drop over the side. If you think you can get your rig past one of the locals with their horse trucks then feel free. They will not give you much help, they will look after their horses.

The photo above looks like it is on the NSW side looking down into the Snowy River where the road is wider.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475373

Reply By: Member - hatbadges - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:18

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:18
I agree with Andrew & Jen. We towed a small camper trailer there in 2008 & while we made the trip with no problems, I'd hate to be towing a large heavy caravan in the sections of the road already mentioned. There's large drops with very little guard rails & awfully windy sections I literally crawled through.

Honestly Chris, if towing a caravan I'd give it a big miss.
AnswerID: 475405

Sponsored Links