help with travel around aus - melb- adel -alice - darwin - cairns - east coast t

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:01
ThreadID: 91294 Views:1862 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello. I am planning a trip around half of aus in April this year with the two kids and the wife. I have researched some great parks to stay at throughout the trip. We plan to arrive on the east coast in May/ June. I have heard that it may be difficult getting into caravan parks at this time. Is this true ?
Does anyone have any caravan parks that you would highly recommend ?
Our travels are Melb - Adelaide-Alice -Darwin-Townsville -Cairns -Brisbane - Sydney a
The parks I have investigated are
Soldiers Point - Port Stephens
Trial Bay - South West rocks
Cairns coconut - Cairns
Beachcomber - Mission beach
Discovery - Rockhampton
Noosa Bougainvillia - Sunshine Coast
Walkabout Palms - Townsville
Clarkes Beach - Byron Bay
Riba's underground - cooper pedy
MacDonnell Range - Alice Springs
Shady Glen Tourist Park - Darwin
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanking You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:47
Your choice for Alice Springs would be close to the dearest park in Oz, there are cheaper ones in Alice.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475312

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:59

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:59
Yep dear it is but it has very good facilities. We stay their almost yearly. It can be very busy at that time so I would advise booking well in advance if you can.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750270

Reply By: feathery - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 16:26
Michael Bl
I live at south west rocks and trial bay is good but the Arakoon State recreational area is is tops unpowed sites only 20 m from water powed about 50 m great fishing in park also
Keep this to your self but if you can find your way to gap beach in the reserve you will discover something very special enjoy our place

Greg
AnswerID: 475320

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:03

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:03
Outside of school holidays I wouldn't have thought you would have had any problems in NT and NSW.
Our kids really enjoyed their stay at McDonnell ranges after 2 weeks in bush or ordinary CP, it really catered for them really well. Yes it may have been a more expensive CP, but it really offered a lot
Clarkes should be fine. Surely you will know 3 days ahead where you will be and can make a booking which will cement your spot.
AnswerID: 475384

Reply By: Jacaluke - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:34

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:34
In South West Rocks I would probably choose Horseshoe Bay Caravan Park over Trial Bay - Horseshoe Bay is right on the beach with a lovely outlook. On the Sunshine Coast I would probably choose Cotton Tree Caravan Park at Maroochydore over the Big 4 at Tewantin - it is just a bit more central depending on what you want to see I suppose. We recently stayed at the Big 4 at Tewantin and it was great but just a bit of a drive to go places - centrally located if you wanted to head up to Double Island Point though or Fraser Island. A bit far if you wanted to head to places like Australia Zoo and Maleny/Montville though.
Clarkes Beach at Byron Bay is always busy and fully booked so you might have trouble getting into there. If that is full try Broken Head Caravan Park just down the road - only a 10 minute drive out of Byron and a beautiful spot right on the beach.
We stayed at MacDonnell Range Big 4 in Alice Springs and it was fantastic - especially with kids.
Cairns Coconut is located south of Cairns so it is a bit of a trek when you want to head to the northern beaches and Port Douglas - it is a great park though.
Have a great trip - sounds like it's going to be fantastic.
AnswerID: 475467

Follow Up By: Grubby - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:46

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:46
Broken Head is awesome!!! But shhhhh don't tell anyone. :-)

FollowupID: 750684

Reply By: glampergal - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 21:30
For Adelaide we just got back from Brighton Caravan Park this arvo. Bit sandy but right on a great beach, rocky areas for the kids and 100m down a gorgeous sandy stretch. We really had a fantastic time. Close to Westfield Marion too which kept me happy!

In Alice we would stay at Stuart. Not the biggest but well priced and well situated nice and close to town. If you do choose Macdonnell Range make sure you head over to Heavitree Gap outback lodge to handfeed the rock wallabies. Its free and the kids will love it.

In June watch out for Finke and the Alice show, might be busy... Enjoy!
AnswerID: 476018

Sponsored Links