Mt Sandiman Station

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:50
ThreadID: 91307 Views:3674 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A number of years ago I had the pleasure of spending a few days ay Mt Sandiman station on the eastern edge of the Kennedy Ranges. At the time the owners were in the process of setting up a " station stay " while still running it as a station. My kids and I had a great time there visiting the ranges and even helping out with some of the work around the beautiful old homestead. I have recently heard that the station has been abandoned and as we are contemplating a visit to the area this winter I wondered if anybody had any confirmation / clarification of this.

Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 00:08

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 00:08
Hi Steve,

I passed by there in 2008, had a chat to the wife of a roo shooter who were staying there. It certainly wasn't up to "Station Stay" standard at that time not sure about now.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475377

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 01:28

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 01:28
Talk about serendipity I was way pointing a trip at lunchtime today for over Easter and Mt Sandiman was one of the places I'd way pointed. Tried doing a Google search and it turned up very little info.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475378

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 09:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 09:55
Found the following phone numbers on the web. Can't say how current they are:
Mt Sandiman Station Stay (08) 9943 0550
Gascoyne Hotel (08) 9943 0504

Hope this helps.
regards

Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475392

Reply By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:22

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:22
Hi Steve,

As I understand it Mt Sandiman was sold a few years ago to a nearby station, and the old Mt Sandiman homestead is now occupied by a local roo shooter and his family as caretakers. We were up there last year, and there is no station stay available.

Access to the Keneddy Range NP is also limited and with the current bushfires that have been burning in the Gascoyne region since boxing day, at the moment the Keneddy Range NP is totally closed. As of yesterday still burning.

The tracks over the top were also closed last year by DEC/CALM and I'm not sure if / when they will be open again. I would suggest that you contact DEC prior to your trip.

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,6431/Itemid,2123/

Regards
Kurk
AnswerID: 475398

Sponsored Links