Where to go?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 09:37
ThreadID: 91330 Views:2031 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi everyone,
We are taking a 3 month adventure with our 4 girls (aged 5-10) in mid March. I had hoped to go Melb, Perth, Broome, Darwin, then back down the centre to home (Melb). Now wondering if that might be too far. We want flexibility so that if we really love somewhere we can stay a week or more and not be under pressure to then do massive days to catch up. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts / experiences. There is so much to see. We want to make best use of the 3 months.
Thanks, Marnie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:00

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:00
Hi Marnie,
Appreciate your dilemma, You could spend nearly 3 months going across to Perth & still not see it all. Your doing the right thing asking here, fathom through all the info. When on the road speak to fellow travellers. You don't talk of your vehicle or trailer/caravan a little more info will will encourage more positive replies.
Have a wonderful trip
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475474

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:01

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:01
Marnie, do you really like looking at cities and towns or have you listed convenient way points to give us an idea of where you want to go? To give you much advise we need to know what you are interested in. To do the trip you have specified by almost the shortest route is 11,500 km. If you add even another 1/3 extra for side trips you will average 165 km per day. There will be days in which you do way more that that but if you use areas like crossing the Nullarbor to make up distance and don't stop to look around you will miss so much of what Australia is about.
We did roughly what you are suggesting in 09 in 4 months and we missed so much that we have plans to go back for much longer. WA alone needs at least 6 months if visiting from the east, in my view.
Why don't you look at doing the Centre, Darwin, Kakadu and the adjoining areas.
But what ever you do make sure that you have fun. And as you probably know, with children of the age of your children you can't do too many consecutive long days.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475481

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:45

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:45
Hi Marnie

All good advice given so far Marnie. Make sure you include something for everyone's interests - including the youngest. You could start out with the plan to go tour say the Centre - lots to see in and around Alice Springs, and say if there is time, we will go on to Kakadu or Litchfield (or both depending on how well you family is travelling) Take it easy, enjoy what you see, and almost half way through your time frame, look at the turn around point. Depending on you and your family's interests, it may take you three months to reach the Northern Territory! Better to stop, see, enjoy and participate all along the way than drive and drive and feel frazzled.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475490

Follow Up By: Marnie R - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:18

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:18
Hi, thanks for the advice so far, it's very helpful. I'm new to this so still learning! We are towing a 2011 jayco expanda 17.56.1 with a 2009 prado. We are taking kayaks and bikes with a focus on enjoying the outdoors and some scenery. I'd like to see a bit of the cities, but more of nature and the things you don't see when you fly into a city.
I thought it would make sense to do a loop of some sort but starting to think that can't happen while maintaining a relaxing pace. Keep the advice coming! Thanks, Marnie
FollowupID: 750442

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:26

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:26
If you decide to do Alice Springs you have the option of going a bit further north to Tennant Creek, across the Barkly Highway to Mt Isa and than home through western Queensland, NSW and Victoria. Not as far as via WA but with tonnes of variety.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750498

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 15:44

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 15:44
Hi Kevin

Not much of interest for the girls along the way, but the Dinosaur country is usually a big winner with children. The Boulia-Winton-Hughenden-Richmond area is so rich in fossils and displays.

Then again, that is something like what we did last big trip - Alice Springs - Darwin including Kakadu (just writing the blogs for that now) and Litchfield - Mt Isa then a few selected highlights in Queensland, Dubbo zoo in NSW then a fairly fast trip back to WA. That took five months.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750550

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 15:45

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 15:45
Hi Marnie,

First, good on you for taking your children on a trip like this - they will get a lot out of it. However I do think that your proposed route is a bit ambitious for a 3 month timespan.

Im with Motherhen in thinking that going to Alice Springs and spending time there, then Kakadu and other places around Darwin would be more than enough to fill the time. Perhaps go up via the Flinders Ranges for some great scenery and good walks, and if you want to do a loop go across to Mt Isa and home via central west Qld and NSW where there is still plenty to see and do.

Starting in March it could still be very hot so you would need to be prepared for that. Conversely coming home in June it will be pretty cold no matter which way you go!

Our blogs may give you some ideas as we have been along your proposed route and also to Alice and Darwin areas.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475504

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 16:22

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 16:22
It's not too far.
We did the reverse in 1994. Myself and two kids. Boy 11 Girl 10. Loved it.

The distance will cost you a lot in fuel... and hours on the road, but you will get a great feel for the immense distances and size of our country.

I'd not make any real plans. Pack carefully and head off with a loose idea of where you will go.

Chat to other travellers, particularly those travelling in the opposite direction. Apart from this being one of the greatest pleasures of travelling, they will tell you the best places to go and things to see ahead of you.

Have a great time! Royce
AnswerID: 475511

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 14:14

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 14:14
Around 12,000 ks in 3 months looks OK when you are reading a map at home in comfort. However it could become a hard slog with a van and young children. I would suggest you would all have more fun and see more if you cut the distance a bit and left some of it for future trips. Up the centre and western Qld could work for you. I don't fancy kayaks and crocodiles though!
Another suggestion you might consider is just going to southern WA via the coast - Ceduna to Esperance and around the coast to Perth and perhaps a bit north. You would see some wonderful country and the weather should be good. Anzac Day in Albany is great if you make it. You could spend time around Perth and the Swan Valley then return via Kalgoorlie where there's lots to see. This would involve crossing the Nullarbor twice but, especially if you are set up for camping, there are some great places to see. You might be in time to see the whales at Head of Bight on the return trip. This trip would give plenty of time to see and do a lot, even if it would be less heroic than whizzing around half the continent. Have fun with your planning! Lynne
AnswerID: 475582

Sponsored Links