Rudall River trip July 2012

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 00:45
ThreadID: 91366 Views:1715 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a Rudall River trip July 2012 and just wondering if anyone has been through recently to give road conditions or know if it's possible to take a camper trailer or should we stick with the swags?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 01:39

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 01:39
G'day, was there last year and no problem with a trailer, enjoy.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475631

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:47

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:47
Gav,

The top road in from Telfer is now a well maintained hall road to the new Uranium Mine that sits above the park. It will get you within 7 km or thereabouts of the Desert Queen turn off. Bottom half of the track from Rudall River South to the Talawana can be a bit soft and sandy.

Should be able to pull a bit of info out of this list. It's an amazing place. Enjoy it.

Rudall Highlights

Rudall River Blogs

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475643

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:57

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:57
Hi Gav,
drive to the conditions and it won't be a problem. You might find a couple of small creek crossings/washouts on the track from Main Track to Desert Queen Baths that are a bit tight with the trailer because of the approach and departure angles. Having said that, others have done it, so with care you can too.

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475645

Reply By: Rainman WA - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:48

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:48
Been there twice with my camper trailer never had any problems.

Telfer had over 600mms of rain in 2011 which hopefully means some of it made it into the park to fill up the water holes. In 2009 most of the pools were empty and those at Desert Queens Baths had dropped by well over a metre since our last visit and it was very dry, hot and barren.

I find I spend a lot of time dreaming about going back there, I'm envious of anyone heading up that way.
AnswerID: 475677

Reply By: Gav T - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:52

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:52
Thanks all, for putting our minds at ease, did anyone keep a fuel record,
we will come in from Newman and was thinking of topping up at Jigalong.
although my Landcruiser has a longrange tank, thought it might pay too.
AnswerID: 475696

Follow Up By: Rainman WA - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:23

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:23
Last time up there we also topped up at Jigalong and went out through Telfer to Carawine Gorge and then onto the Skull Springs Road via Upper Carawine to Nullagine. From memory it was close to 900kms between fill ups, but as I carried over 250 litres of fuel it wasnt a problem.

We topped up at Jigalong because the other vehicle with us didnt have a long range capacity and he carried a couple of jerry cans to get him through to Nullagine.

The Talawana track from the Billinooka Road end is/was a piece of cake. Make sure you go in through the second entry, it takes you past the southern hand pump. The first entry point is a killer if you have a trailer apparently.
FollowupID: 750757

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 20:00

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 20:00
Hi Gav,
O.K. We went Sept last yr.
We could only do a bit at the North end & return because of time.
We went down via the Telfer Mine road which is well maintained.
The country between the Mine is & the Rudall River turn off was fantastic.
We camped about a mile past the turn off, it was just on dark( sunset) & we didn't have time to go in to them anyway( Work hols).
The camp was magic.
This road is moderately corrugated.. The wet season may have a baring on what this yr. will be like?

We met a couple coming from the southern end. W e'd been warned about the price of fuel at Punmu & the state of the Talawana Track. I can't comment on that. Different people have different opinions of corrugations etc.
Anyway, the woman got out of her car first , came over & the first words uttered were.
" Ah that Talawana track is a real B***h.!
We have a tent & a trailer,& choose which one for the job when the time comes.
We take both, even if we have to backtrack
The sand hill country is to the South apparently.Those who've crossed them will know better than I .We hope to do it again if health allows. & would also like to know
Take care, safe travels. Bye Ma.
AnswerID: 475717

Sponsored Links