"On Vehicle" Aluminium Welding

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 00:26
ThreadID: 91462 Views:2342 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
The weld holding the HF antenna lug, to the bull bar, on my vehicle, is starting to crack and needs re-welding. Does any one know of any where in the Dandenong or Warragul area's, that can re-weld it while the bull bar still on the vehicle ?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Neil

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:55

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:55
Hi Neil,

I don't have a direct answer to your question but just thought I'd let you know you can buy a robust clamp style antenna bracket.
I use one on my vehicle for the sand flag when required.
The one shown suits a 50mm dia. bar but other sizes are available too.

Bull Bar Bracket

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476034

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:25

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:25
gooday Neil : If it was me as an ex welder in the NT did a lot of these for station vehicles. I would be getting a lot stronger bracket made heavy.. vertical gusset down one of the posts of your b/bar , that's a big antenna for a small bracket .
I have seen a lot of these on the back of vehicles.
as to your question should be able to weld on vehicle ( not from Vic ...)
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476037

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:16

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:16
Take it off now ! That flange may (more like will) let go without further warning. The autotune is far too heavy and exerts more leverage when mobile than such a flange was ever designed for. A steel clamp on bracket might do the job. Such antennas are best mounted to the chassis if practical. Bullbars generate a lot of vibration at the extremities.
The type of mounting assembly seen
AnswerID: 476040

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:19

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:19
:-o) here on the Kaymar site (HF antenna mount) is a guide to how robust such installations usually are.
FollowupID: 751058

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:21

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:21
If the weld has started cracking welding it will only make it crack again, as said above you really need to redesign the bracket or move it from the front to the rear of the vehicle.

Once aluminium starts fatiguing it is very hard to stop, unlike steel.
AnswerID: 476041

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01
Hi Neil,

That bracket was never intended for the mass of an auto tune antenna. It would need considerable bracing to be adequate and even then is not a good location for the antenna.

Only the antenna whip needs to be above the vehicle body, so if possible it would be better mounted directly to the bumper and behind the bull bar.

In any case, mounting the antenna as is yours directly in the driver's vision line is inappropriate. In some Australian states it is illegal to have an autotune antenna mounted such as yours.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476043

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 13:27

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 13:27
Aren't these things worth a fortune? Why wouldn't you hide it away somewhere where it's out of the way & far less likely the get broken by something?
AnswerID: 476054

Sponsored Links