Fridge freezer advise please.

Good morning all.
As a newbie to the 4x4 scene & this forum, I am interested in your thoughts on what features I should be looking for in a fridge/freezer. I had in mind an Engel 40 Ltr unit. As the local retailers here, (fishing/camping stores) have zero product knowledge, I went to the local 4x4 shop only to find they no longer sell Engel. They now only handle ARB units. The sales person had very good product knowledge & listed many supposed features that the ARB 47 Ltr unit had over similar units, e.g. drain plug, built in battery monitor, easier to clean, detachable lid, to name a few.
I would like the thoughts of experienced travellers on what features to look for & the for's & againsts of these two units.

Many thanks,
Allan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:01

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:01
Although I am sure the ARB fridge is a good product, I can only speak of my experience with the Engel fridge/freezer.

As the Engel has been around for quite some time, there is a range of accessories available from both Engel and third parties to enhance the fridge usability.

The thermal cover is a great addition, adding to the thermal protection of the inside and also providing mechanical protection from knocks and scratches.

I particularly like the add on roller which makes the fridge easier to move when full.

If your family "expands" or you just need extra room for some trips, you can buy a third party "Twozone" compartment to suit the 40 litre model, which doubles the capacity. You simply remove the lid on the Engel replacing it with the Twozone, then place the lid back on top.

There is a range of other accessories to suit specific needs, but overall the Engel has the runs on the board as a reliable and proven compressor fridge.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476275

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:03

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:03
Now that you have started the thread, you will see a related article panel which will provide you with in depth information to help you choos the fridge to suit your needs.

Bill

FollowupID: 751298

Follow Up By: AllanL2 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:05

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:05
Thanks Bill,

Found related artilce.

Cheers

Allan.
FollowupID: 751310

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:28

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:28
Allan

This topic comes up every three months or so.
If you do a search on Fridges within this Forum you will find numerous threads extolling the virtues of various brands, sizes, fridge or fridge/freezer and so on.
The ARB did win a fridge comparison that one of the 4WD mags I used to subscribe to 3-4 years ago, but there will be plenty of votes for other brands.
Engel and Waeco are more numerous and have more numerous repair centres around Australia should you need them.

The main thing I raise when people ask about fridges is have you considered how you are going to power it?
If you buy a 40+L fridge and have any thoughts of ........
1) letting your vehicle cigarette lighter power it when the engine is switched off, forget it, it won't (possible exception is Engel).
You have to install heavier wiring, see the Waeco web site they will explain this.
No 4WDs have heavy enough gauge wiring and the resultant voltage drop is too great.

2) Letting your vehicle power your fridge overnight in summer? Hope you like jump starting your vehicle the next morning then as well as being prepared for shorter battery life.

Basically I am saying be prepared to spend another grand on a second battery set up under your bonnet with heavier wiring to the rear A cheaper option is a stand alone power supply (deep cycle battery / AGM, Thumper etc.. ) in the back of your vehicle and then you can probably only rely on them for 12-24 hours before they need recharging.

The fridge retailers don't tell you these things until you have read the fine print after you have already shelled out $1000 or so on the fridge.

If you intend to use the fridge primarily whilst the vehicle is travelling, then you won't need any alternate power supply, but you should at least invest in a set of Jumper leads and carry them when you camp overnight.
AnswerID: 476280

Follow Up By: AllanL2 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:02

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:02
Thanks Mark,

Ultimately I will have a second battery set up in the rear as the Colorado doesn't have room under the bonnet. Initially I will run heavy wiring & HD connection into the canopy. Also have very large battery from my boat and HD jumper leads as a back up.

Cheers Allan.
FollowupID: 751307

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:33

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:33
Allan

We have a 40 lt Engel, with an insulation bag.
They are nothing short of brilliant.
Had it for 6 years or more, and never let us down.
Mates is 20 years old, and looks all of the 20 years too, but he can leave it for 12 months, and just plug it in, and away it goes.

I would be highly suprised if you cannot get one delivered anywhere in Oz, with a Bag for $1250, and cheaper if you shop around. !

My advice is to wait for the Caravan & Leisure sShow's to come into your area, then with about 1 hr to go, on the last day, move in and haggle.
That always works !

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 476281

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:43

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:43
Agree with you Bucky, I bought 2 Engel 40 lt at the Sydney caravan and camping show 2 hours before it closed and got them with insulation bag for $750.00 each.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751304

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:33

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:33
HI GUYS
Yes would go with this....also once you get the Engel.....run your own test to see what extra power you will need
Brian
FollowupID: 751381

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:27

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:27
Bloody hell Andy
You did well

FollowupID: 751625

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:54

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:54
Allan, yes you asked a huge question! So many people have different opinions as everyone’s needs are different. Plus your needs usually change as you do different trips. We looked at all brands and each dealer gave different opinions and it just became very confusing.
We settled on a Waeco 50. It had all of the features that suited our needs at that time and we got it at a caravan/camping show and were able to drive a extremely good bargain. Very happy with the fridge, but sometimes wished we went to the next size up. Some trips we use it as a fridge freezer, other trips just as a fridge. It now tends to live in the back of our cruiser and has even come in handy as a second fridge when staying with friends and family.
So make sure whatever brand you get, settle on the right size, not for just now, but for the future. Kevin
AnswerID: 476283

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:13

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 13:13
I have noticed"Ironman" fridges advertised in the 4WD mags recently that looks identical to the ARB and is MUCH cheaper.

I suspect ARB may have not satisfied the makers volume requirements and they are selling to another distributor who perhaps does not have the same profit demands.
I haven't seen them side by side . Anyone?

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 476285

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:16

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:16
Hi Phillip, The ARB and Ironman fridges certainly look very similar and both employ the Danfoss compressor. They may well come from the same manufacturer however there are some differences in the cabinet as these photos reveal. ARB probably have a contract with the manufacturer which would preclude the marketing of an identical product. I notice also that the controls appear to be geometrically identical although with differing faceplates.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 751320

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:02

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:02
There was a recent comparisome done on Extreme 4x4 late last year and the ARB fridge came out on top apparently a little bit of shine has come off Engel in the last couple of years.
AnswerID: 476297

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:35

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:35
have a look at thread 13457. Its an oldie i noticed some of the members back then are still around. May have even posted on this thread. I thought engel/arb was the same thing only different colour and stamp.
AnswerID: 476298

Follow Up By: AllanL2 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:03

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:03
I think what you say may have correct some time ago, but current range show no resemblance to one & another. They also use different compressors.
FollowupID: 751337

Reply By: Geoff H (Q - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:35

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 15:35
Depending on how much you have to spend the Trailbalza is a great fridge.

Other than that the major brands like, Engel, Waeco and Evacool have a lot of good reports on the forum.

We bought the 50L Waeco, which works very well, however It did have a problem with the electronics, which were replaced under warranty.

Next time I will buy an Evakool or Trailblaza because of the insulation and more robust controls, particularly the Trailblaza.

Regards
AnswerID: 476299

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:48

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:48
Allan,

An excellent solution for your auxiliary battery for your Colorado is the Sidewinder Flyer

Has everything you need (except battery) for about $395.

Very happy with mine. I also bought an accessory bracket from Derek that secures the Flyer to the back of my Cargo Drawer System.

Just install an AGM battery and you will have a secure auxiliary battery to power your fridge, etc.

Bill

AnswerID: 476307

Follow Up By: AllanL2 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:05

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:05
Thanks Bill,

That sounds like the go. Will follow this idea.

Cheers,
Allan.

FollowupID: 751338

Follow Up By: ao767brad - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:55

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:55
If budget isn't a problem buy the Sidewinder or thumper to power but a simple solution is a deep cycle battery in a $50 Repco battery box with 12v plug and terminal posts. We have a 80 amp/hr and cost a total of $235 including battery( off ebay) and it will run the engle for 2 days.
FollowupID: 751365

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:41

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:41
The Sidewinder Flyer includes an in-built isolator, heavy duty wiring and anderson plugs. It also includes both anderson connectors and cigar/merit/hella socket to plug the fridge cable into.

The cheap "Repco" battery box is just that.......cheap.

Bill

FollowupID: 751387

Reply By: AllanL2 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:10

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:10
Many thanks everyone,. Your input has been a great help.

Cheers,
Allan.
AnswerID: 476322

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:15

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:15
Hi Allant2
Do really need a Freezer

What are you going to do How long are you going to travel ie Week end,

week, 6 months.

Terry

Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476332

Follow Up By: AllanL2 - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:37

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:37
Good morning Terry,

Fast approaching retirement, want our fishing W/ends to become fishing weeks, our week away to become a fortnights etc.. Don't have a van, stay in on-site cabins or camp. Planning a trip to Cameron Corner, Birdsville, Marree later this year.

Have survived the past with Evakool ice boxes, purchased an 85 Litre box almost 17 years ago & a 60 Litre 4 years ago. I have found them very good for up to a week when using home made block ice. The disadvantages, block ice difficult to get away from home & not efficient if you wish to replenish with hot drink/food.

Allan.
FollowupID: 751398

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:11

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:11
hi Allan
Too keep the freezer going for that time it does not matter what brand freezer u buy it will take a lot of 12 volt power using just a alternator you will run out of batter when you are camping/ parked

Staying in cabins with power 240 volt will lesson the drain oin the vehicle battery

Driving for 2 to 3 hrs. a day will not charge up you 2nd bat

you will need extra source of power calculate what the choice of the freezer for 24 hrs and then see what you need and when you need it

Terry

Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476411

Reply By: robert s4 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 18:18

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 18:18
i bought an engle 80 for 1500 from anaconda when on special only one to by. i seen engle fall from sa toyota put a big dent in it still worked like to see an arb do it
AnswerID: 476594

Sponsored Links