Goldfields Tour

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:56
ThreadID: 91537 Views:1813 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are leaving Wollongong in April for a trip West to Perth & then on to Exmouth. Either on the way over or on the return trip we are looking to do the Goldfields tour at Kalgourlie. The brochures about this tour indicate that about 500k's are good dirt roads. My concern is that the roads may not be suitable for an on road Jayco.....has anyone done this trip recently & have comments to share
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:37

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:37
There are a number of goldfields driving tours. All are on good serviced gravel roads that are similar to any government gravel roads. I have seen all types of vehicles out there even little hyundai getz, and all manner of caravans in tow.

Conditions vary depending on rain or on the last time the grader has been through.

I have travelled all over the goldfields roads which mainly do a circuit north of Kalgoorlie. My favourite stop is the Ora Banda pub for lunch - about an hour north west of Kalgoorlie.

Another great stop to camp overnight is the Lake Ballard campsite. Amazing place where an artist has created bronze statues and placed them over the salt lake. Open campsite with a dump point for toilet canisters and long drop toilets for campers.

Hope you enjoy.

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476341

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:57

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:57
Hi Marklynn

It sounds like you are thinking of the Golden Quest Discovery Drive. If you are concerned about taking your caravan on dirt roads, you could leave the caravan at Kalgoorlie or Coolgardie and do the loop over two days staying somewhere along the way such as Leonora. However the roads should not present you with any problems. We did it over a few days, camping out and sleeping on the back of the ute (as part of a two week trip without the caravan) - see MyBlogs 2005.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476348

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:59

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:59
Sorry typo there - MyBlogs 2007
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751378

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:38

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:38
We did that tour 2 years ago in June towing our Traveller van. It is agreat tour and the accompanying book and audio tape are excellent. The roads are good gravel and should not give you any trouble unless there is very heavy rain. Just take your time and enjoy it. Lake Ballard is fascinating, as is Menzies cemetery. Lynne
AnswerID: 476359

Follow Up By: marklynn - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:47

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 19:47
Thanks everyone for your replies.....Much apprecaited & yes it is the Golden Quest Discovery Trail that we intend doing.

Mark
FollowupID: 751829

Reply By: Member - *Rusty* - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 01:40

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 01:40
As a local, the roads are always pretty good - unless it rains of course, but even then, once the rains stop the council and mine sites are really quick with getting the roads graded again as you will find the road trains use some of these roads as well and keep them in really good condition.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 476811

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 04:04

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 04:04
our dirt roads vary to between supurb and better than bituman and those roads are no different

coming from sa i am still gobsmacked at our brilliant quality dirt roads
AnswerID: 476919

Sponsored Links