our successful nullabor trip!!

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:29
ThreadID: 91691 Views:2186 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
just wanted to update you on our nullabor trip with our 2 and 4 year old!it was FAB!the boys travelled so well!On the first day we left Perth at 05:00 and got to a rest stop 60ks west of Caiguna!Great effort by the kids!next day we were on the road by 07:00,thought they would start to get bored, but again, they were brilliant and due to daylight saving we pushed on, arriving at Fowlers bay just on 18:00hrs!they had a great play and we had a lazy morning on day 3, not leaving til 10:00. Again, we had no agenda, but the kids were fab, so ended up driving to Port Pirie!Got to our destination in swan hill by day 4!Amazing. We couldn't believe how well the kids travelled!It was the same on the way home..Robe in SA to Kimba, Kimba to Caiguna then an easy day in Kal on day 3 before home. The rest stops were fab, not too busy, weather perfect..not too hot,kids loved it.. couldn't have worked out better!!i thoroughly recommend taking the trip with kids, they love the adventure of it all!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:40

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:40
well done guys
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477081

Reply By: Wayne David - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:44

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:44
Fantastic family thing to do.

Some of my fondest memories of my childhood were the travels and camping we did together as a family. All very simple but great fun.

Times in the car were a real bonding experience and our in car entertainment were games like 'eye spy with my little eye', 'can you guess this TV show', naughts & crosses' and uncomplicated things like that.

I've no doubt your kids will in time pass on what you have taught them.

Cheers - Wayne
AnswerID: 477087

Reply By: pmk03 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:07

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:07
We just got back from that very trip in reverse over the Christmas break. We had a ball.
It's great you are getting your kids used to it early..... makes for happy tavellers later on... & you'll probably never hear "Are we there yet"
Our daughter has travelled similar trips with us since she was 11 mths old. She's now 16 & still enjoys them.
Heres to many more (trips not kids.... Ha!)
Cheers,

Paul
AnswerID: 477103

Reply By: bob smith 1 - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 13:58

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 13:58
No doubt about that travelling with kids is easy nowdays...ipods, dvd's, computer games etc. all help pass the time away on the blacktop.
BS
AnswerID: 477114

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:19

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:19
Years back we would drive Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Adelaide or Sydney to Melbourne. Three boys in the back of the Kingswood. Lots of colouring books. The odd packet of dried fruit. Even some sandwiches made at home. The occasional tiff. And absolutely "Are we there yet?". They knew that was forbidden. Sit down and amuse yourselves. And they did. We had to go from Melbourne to Brisbane once. Same thing. Non stop. Kids were a bit peeved but they stuck to it.

All this done non stop. Following Dad with his Army postings. No worries. No DVD. No TV. No digital games. And no mobile phones either. Stops for the loo, face wash to get the chocolate off and fuel. Mum would grab sandwiches, fruit and drinks. Then off again.

Much that we hated yankee take away it was a treat for the boys as a reward or something more healthy. They ranged from 2, 4 and 6 up to about 10 for the youngest etc. Now they have their own cars and kids and it's the same thing.

I cannot understand why people have so much trouble.

Phil
AnswerID: 477118

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:20

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:20
Makes it all worthwhile when the kids take it in their stride.

Did you give them some phernergan to put them asleep .... Lol just kidding.

What kept them busy, DVDs, games, coloring in ?

I wish my wife could travel that well.
AnswerID: 477119

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:11

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:11
So you didn't drop in to the Eyre Bird observatory then? Very fascinating and interesting place.
AnswerID: 477166

Sponsored Links