How busy is Tasmania.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 18:58
ThreadID: 91722 Views:2521 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
just getting ready to go to Tassie and was wondering if, anyone there or just left, knows, how crowded the camp areas are , ie.Bay of fires and west coast, and in general

Cheers Ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:07

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:07
Ken,

We arrived Sunday morning so cant really comment, however last night we stayed at the free camp at Latrobe and there were 40 caravan/motor homes there, and as quick as one moved out, one moved in.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 477221

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 20:38

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 20:38
Go to Morse's butchery in Latrobe - the best home made smallgoods you'll ever try.
FollowupID: 752408

Follow Up By: braggy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:30

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:30
Thanks Cruiser.
Might see ya down there, leave QLD tomorrow
Ken
FollowupID: 752452

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 21:12

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 21:12
My Brother has been there since the end of November. Some places are busy but overall he has found a spot to his liking from the north west, down the west, up the middle and way down south. Hobart showground was a bit busy but they still had 12 nights there. At present he is at Swansea and still has plenty of room. Cheers,Bob.

AnswerID: 477236

Follow Up By: braggy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:33

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:33
Thanks Bob
That sounds good if he has been there over the Xmas break still found it OK

Ken
FollowupID: 752453

Reply By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:14

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:14
Hi Ken,

I think you will find it far quieter than the Mainland states. We travelled there last January to March for 8 weeks with our caravan and had no problems most places although could not always get a powered site when we decided to stay in a van park. It would be a good idea to phone a day ahead if you need a site somewhere.

I do recall the little park at Waratah being busy. It was so cold that we wanted power there and in fact chose power wherever we could so we could have the heater running. We experienced quite a bit of cool weather..great for bushwalking!

Didn't have any problems getting into National Parks or staying in free camps but we didn't get to the bay of Fires on that trip. It pays to get in early so you have plenty of sites to choose from.

We also stayed in the campgrounds at some of the lakes and dams and found there was always a space for us. The east Coast is popular compared to the West.

We have unfinished business down there and will have to go back for another couple of months...missed so many places where we want to walk and fish.

I wrote blogs on our trip so you could have a look at those as they describe where we stayed.

Have a great time..I am envious!

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477263

Follow Up By: braggy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:49

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:49
Hi Heather, thanks ,will look at your blog

We usually don't need power sites when we stay in c\parks, just looking to do washing and get water (is the water at most places good ?) and have a diesel heater in a Kimberley Karavan, so only small and heat up quickly.

I'm a surfer, so hope to get a few waves on the East coast, we were they 6yrs ago in May and it was cold in and out of the water.

Know what you mean by unfinished business, thats what I'm about to take care of

Your envious and I'm excited

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 752456

Follow Up By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:09
Hi ken,

I can't remember having problems with water anywhere. We usually fill up the tanks when in a van park and if there are any worries with quality, use a filter which connects to the hose.
There was enough rain to fill our tanks from the awning in some places like Dover where we stayed on a vacant block close by a friends place for nearly a week!
We had sleet and light snow on some of our alpine walks (and also while staying at Waratah) while at home in South Coast NSW they were experiencing some of the hottest weather on record. It was wonderful! I hate hot weather!

There are some very good free and cheap camps which are looked after by volunteers..Riana is one. When we used these we tried to spend money in the local communities as our way of saying thank you.

We have a heater which runs on butane gas canisters and use it when unpowered. It is very effective and cheap to run but obviously can't use it overnight.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752466

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:27

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:27
We are off to King Island on Friday for 5 days. I've heard its fairly quite there.
AnswerID: 477264

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:17

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:17
Hi Ken

We are working our way up the east coast now. Just going to B&B and finding them easy to get into with most having easy vacancies. Dropped into some of the free beach camping areas and there is a lot of people camping there there are still sites available.

On the other side the weather is great. Even warm at times. The ocean has been calm and picturesque. Only the occasional shower.

Enjoy your trip

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477325

Sponsored Links