Big WA Trip including top part of CSR - Any Tips?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:08
ThreadID: 91758 Views:2214 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Starting to get organized for a big trip to WA next year (May - Jul).

I've put a map up on my blog (still to be finished) showing the first half of the trip plan.

Blog Link Here

The trip includes taking the Gary Jct Road to Kunawarritji then north on the Canning Stock Route.

Taking the Gibb River Track down to Derby then Broome.

The rest of the trip will be down the West coast, some time in the south west then back across the Nullarbor to Melbourne (Home)

What I'm looking for is tip on any must see places along the way. Or detours I should consider.

Great camping spots etc..

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:24

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:24
Hi Gary,

We did a big WA trip in 09 and wrote a number of blogs that are all on this site. The blog on the Canning is at http://www.exploroz.com/Members/61493.375/7/2009/The_Canning_Stock_Route.aspx (sorry the inser links function does not seem to be working atm.). Just click on the "My Blog" button beside our name to find them. Did the Kimberley and Pilbara in 08 and there are blogs on that too.

There is so much to see and it will depend on what you are interested in. Highlights for us would include GRR, Horizontal waterfall, Skull Springs road out to Carawine Gorge, Karajini, and further south the wildflowers around Mullewa and the national parks - Kalbarri, Lesueur, Fitzgerald River, Stirling Ranges and Cape le Grand. And the whales at Head of the Bight.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477335

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:14

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:14
Point Massie Rockhole just off the Canning Stock Route is a nice spot. Near Well 46.

You are almost guaranteed to be by yourself too!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477338

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 14:17

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 14:17
The Canning is a great run north from Well 33. A side detour with a bit of adventure is the trip into Helena Spring (Helena Spring BLOG). I was going to suggest that if you had the time, if coming up the Gary Junction to Well 33, you are a mornings travel from the Rudall River National Park using the access Road via Telfer (and Xmas Pool). An amazing place not to be missed.

Rudall River Highlights

On the Gibb you should allow a few days for a trip up to the Mitchell Plateau camping at King Edward River and the amazing Mitchell Falls.

On the way down, Cape Peron, Cape Range, Kennedy Ranges, Kalbari and Geraldton and Cervantes are all must sees.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477354

Reply By: RodnSue - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 15:17

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 15:17
Hi Gary
I can’t speak for the CSS as we toured NT as we hadn’t previously been there.

I agree with John & Val & Mick O posts.
We visited lots of National Parks & enjoyed the uniqueness of them all.
Karijini stood out as the best. The roads in & around there are quite dusty though, with corrugations, but if you can drive the GRR, then you can drive most other dirt roads :)

There were just too many places that stood out…… We loved every where. You can purchase a 12 mth parks pass @ Kununurra info centre for around $50 (?) for being over 50yrs in National Seniors :)

If you like / love snorkeling then don’t miss a chance to visit Point Quobba & blowholes – turn off north of Geraldton – there’s an ‘aquarium’ near the basic camp spot that is a great snorkeling experience. Great snorkeling can also be had on Ningaloo Reef west of Exmouth & @ Coral Bay.

Whale watching can be experienced for free from the high cliffs @ Kalbarri with many pods passing by when we were there mid September.

If you / partner love wildflowers then pick up a wildflower trail booklet from an info centre in WA. We had a free camp experience – 378 in camps book - 20 kms south of Mullewa that was especially beautiful for the wildflowers.

We too have a blog on blogspot of our trip www.ournomadicways.blogspot.com to see where we went on our trip.
The blog is mostly pics with some commentary at the beginning & with the pics. There are 44 posts from our 7 ½ month trip 2011 (broken up into sections / areas)

Collectively with every one’s suggestions, I hope this helps.
Have a safe trip & a fantastic time experiencing WA.
Cheers Sue

AnswerID: 477357

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:23

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:23
Hi Gary,

Along with all the other great info already noted, I suggest a slight revision, so that you travel from Alice Springs via Uluru and The Olgas to Docker River then travel north along the Sandy Blight Junction Rd up to the Gary Jcn Hwy.

This is a great drive, some magnificent scenery and excellent camp spots. We travelled this way and along the GJH to Well 33 last year, then travelled south along the CSR.

In any case make sure you schedule a night at Jupiters Well on the GJH.

Your trip sounds great, you're sure to enjoy it!

Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477377

Sponsored Links