Help with Hn5i GPS

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:58
ThreadID: 91800 Views:2625 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have searched thru a lot of threads about using GPS on here. I have purchased and read (most of) the EO shop guide book to using GPS in Oz. I have a Hema HN5i, have read the manual and played around with it. I am frustrated at my slow learning curve (must be getting older, never used to be a slow learner LOL)I want to plan my own route from a start point to an end point and then follow it on the GPS while driving. Don't know if I need to do this on the computer first or
straight on the HN5i and I can't seem to find the answer to what must be the most basic of questions!!
Any of you wonderful exploroz'ers out there who knows their way around their own HN5i willing to exchange email addresses and correspond with me and help me get started? Thanks, Fraun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 16:45

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 16:45
IdahOz,
I do not have a Hn5i, but I do use Oziexplorer.
There are a number of things here... 1) The Igo Primo is for street navigation only. 2) Oziexplorer is a serious piece of mapping/tracking software... it is not a turn by turn navigator. It is for use with the toppo maps.
For help with Oziexplorer go HERE

Planning and preperation is best done on your PC. Insert waypoints etc and save them to your Hn5i. You will need Oziexplorer installed on your PC.

When travelling, you can activate the moving map display and record your movements and save the "track".

Yes, there is heaps to learn if you want the 'max' from Oziexplorer.
Nothing like using it to learn. Hope this is of some help.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477501

Reply By: Member - Eric H1 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 16:59

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 16:59
We have a Hema Hn5iand use the ozi explorer navigator when 4WDing over moutains and find that when you click "mark route" it comes up as a blue line, then we mark intersections with a "Way point' and you can trace your steps back.
if you have downloaded it onto your PC, on the second row click "help' and it will explain how to do it

Marg
AnswerID: 477503

Reply By: bardenboy - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 17:04

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 17:04
if you live in Sydney I could show you the basis in making a route on your pc and then running on the Hema GPS
AnswerID: 477504

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 19:20

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 19:20
Its not you Idaho - many modern techno toy makers fall short of explaining things fully to newbies - IMV, its because it costs so much to write it all professionally, so that all of the content is entirely accurate and the more you write the more you have to edit and update continually. Easier to write the basics and then let us stumble our way through the learning, via the handbook, CD, web sites, the manufacturer's web site, retailers help pages AND helpful people you can find on the web ! I'm sure some of the editors also forget to write the content from the point of view of the new owner - you often read text that seems written for the product's designers ! I use the previous HN5, but don't plan routes in advance as you describe - we plan a lot of our travel from a map while touring and mainly use the HN5 to confirm location - we also save and edit a lot of 'places' (favourite camps etc. for the future).
AnswerID: 477509

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:31

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:31
Assuming you are using Oziexplorer

What is required is for you to set waypoints along the route and then establish a "route" which includes your waypoints. This is best done on a PC and then download the route and waypoints to Hema.

The route can then be shown on the map and with moving map you will be able to see your progress.

The route will be a straight line between waypoints so you need to use lots of waypoints to get the route to follow the road.

Have fun

Alan
AnswerID: 477527

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:16

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:16
Hi IdahOz
If you happen to have an E-reader you can download the full manual from the Hemanavigator site in E-pub format.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477541

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:32

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:32
IdahOz,

To plan a route you need to have OziExplorer on a PC.
The route planning is a "clumsy" method but the only way available in Ozi.
As had been stated, you need to manually enter waypoints along your desired route, then use the Route editor function to join the waypoints together to create a route.
Then you need to transfer both the waypoint file and the route file to your HN5i, and "load it" to display it.
It is a not very good function in an otherwise excellent product and I would hope that Des and his team will eventually include an automatic route planning function where you simply enter the start location and the end location and Ozi generates the route for you. This should be doable, as devices such as TomTom will do this and web based travel planners also create a route which can be displayed or printed (but not saved as a digital file).
This I do for many trips I make on my TomTom, turning off the voice prompts. Then using OziExplorer on my HN5, I record the track taken, which can then be saved for future reference.

Be aware that many tracks recorded by ExplorOz members and uploaded into the Treks database can be downloaded to OziExplorer on the HN5i, if it is a trip you choose to take.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477543

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:11

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:11
Thanks for all your replies, I don't feel quite as stupid as I did before!! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with more practice.
AnswerID: 477555

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 15:20

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 15:20
Hi

Maybe try the free version of OziExplorer specifically modified for the Hema first and see how you go...

HN Explorer

HEMA Navigator Explorer application is a customised version of the OziExplorer PC software specfically engineered for use with the HEMA Navigator 5".
This application will install into a current version of the HEMA Australia 4WD Raster Map Collection as pre-installed on a PC (DVD is supplied with the Navigator) and allows the plotting and transfer of Waypoints, Tracks and Routes to and from the HEMA Navigator 5” and your PC.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477569

Reply By: Member - Moira S (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 20:23

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 20:23
Hi there - we all lose neurones and immune cells as we age and technology does get more fiddly!! So - You can plot the route/waypoints directly on the Hema but I find that fiddly - as above - Oziexplorer software makes it easy. i have a mac and the software is PC only so I use a virtual windows, plan my trip and move it onto the Hema minidisc via a 'virtual folder' that sits on both the virtual windows and mac desktops.
Happy to chat/email also - i am in the Sydney area
moira
AnswerID: 477595

Sponsored Links