newbie after some info and some advice

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:20
ThreadID: 91803 Views:2210 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Let me introduce my self ,I'm Richard and very new to this and after some advice

I currently own a Mitsubishi challenger PA 2001 LS,totally stock no additions or add ons ..yet!.

I've never been off road and was wondering how capable is a challenger off road.I've been invited up to some tracks in Warburton and am a little concerned that with standard road tyres i will strugle.What suggestions can people offer regarding getting some A/T tyres with costs and prefered makes important as i am on a buget here.

Also on a diffrent note,I have the flashing light syndrome.The green 4x4 green light on my dash randomly flashes when in 2 wheel drive,after 2kms or so the ABS light comes on.Ive heard this is a switch on the transfer case .Is this the problem and is it a cheap fix.

Thanks for reading Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:34
Hi Richard,

Nice to here from you.

I do not know anything about Mitsubishi challenger's but if I was you I would look at joining a 4wd club in you area and do some driver training and get to talk to people who are doing the same thing.

You will be surprised how helpful they can be and you may find someone with same 4wd as yours

The clubs are a wealth of information and most people will talk about the options that they have on there 4wd, the good and bad points of it all.

Hope all goes well

David Will

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477513

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 22:04

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 22:04
Hi Richard. I joined the Mitsubishi 4WD Owners Club when I owned a Triton (the Challenger with another skin) a few years ago. I believe they have a club in each state. I would highly recommend their 4WD course. They showed me what the Triton could do, even with the standard road tyres. Found them a great bunch of helpful people. Look up their website in your state.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 477515

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:30

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:30
Just wanted to say a couple of things. First; Welcome Richard. Really nice to see some one take the time to introduce themselves in such a manner. I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need here. Mate I'm presuming you are referring to Warburton VIC? Use the tyres you have and be cognisant of tyre pressures. This will really assist you in many conditions (you haven't mentioned what type of tyres came as standard and their age etc) and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve with a considered approach to the tracks in that area. As to reccomendations...it's a standard argument on this forum and for you, a decision based on the type of driving you are most likely to do for the majority of time. If it's not technical driving you are doing every 6th and 7th day, have a look at some of the cheaper options offered by Hercules, Ironamn, Silverstone and Hero (Chapel Corner Tyres, Prahran). I've used the Ironman LT66 to good effect and less than half the price of the BFG/Cooper alternatives.

Mike G, what a great profile photo, truly quintessential outback stuff. Picked the Canning and the Trayon immediately.

Cheers to you both,

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752760

Reply By: oz doc - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:49

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:49
Hi Richard, we used to have a Challenger a few years ago-slightly older model than yours though.Stock standard and extremely capable off road. Our only limitations were our skills and experience- not the car. It took us reliably wherever we wanted to go. From memory we had a couple of different tyres in its time and the Pirelli Scorpions stood out from the rest. However as Mick has said- you have to look at all the factors when making your choice. Ours had an intermittant SRS light issue. Can't remember exactly what is was all about but it was resolved by accident when we had one of our services done- just a bit of moisture in a switch somewhere I think. Good luck with it, doc.
AnswerID: 477561

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 08:33

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 08:33
I was on a trip through the Brindabellas near Canberra a few weeks ago with 9 cars and 2 of them were earlier 2001-5 Challengers and not a problem. They weren't tricked up either. The driver is always the most important variable off road. Until you are shown what they can do then you may think its impossible :-) Simple things like how to go up and down steep slopes with a minimum of fuss. Rather than buy stuff like off road tyres before you have used or needed them, get some experience and if it sticks, then you will have a shopping list of your own to work from. I've been heaps of hairy places on road tyres simply because I can't be bothered throwing out perfectly good tyres on a new car. Cheers
AnswerID: 477623

Sponsored Links