Caves to caves

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:21
ThreadID: 91980 Views:1680 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I looking to drive from Wombyan caves upto Jenolan caves. I did this trip a few years ago but for got the way. From memory head south out of sydney to mitagong, then wombayan caves but my memory is lost from there on. Can anyone recommend a good map and scale for this trip and also a good campsite? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:48

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:48
Hi rare, Yes turn off at Mittagong for the Wombeyan Caves. From there head west to Richlands and then to Oberon, from there to Jenolan Caves. The Hema map of NSW is all you need.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478236

Reply By: eighty matey - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:37

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:37
Hi rare,

there's another way that's a bit more adventurous, if that's what you're looking for.

From Wombeyan Caves, turn right towards the Blue Mountains NP.
I'm a bit vague about the road names at the moment because my son has the book with the maps in it until tomorrow.

Basically, you head towards Banshea Rd and get onto Kowmung River Fire Trail. That takes you through the Kanagra Boyd NP and Dingo Dell Camping Ground. You follow that, cross the Kowmung River and climb up to The Kanangra Walls Rd. This road connects to the Oberon - Jenolan Caves Rd.

We drove that way just after Christmas and only saw half a dozen vehicles, so it's not real busy.

I wouldn't drive it if it is, or has been, raining. The river might be up but the track would be slipery, due to it's clay base. It's a good drive and the four wheel driving is moderately difficult, in my opinion.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey
AnswerID: 478266

Follow Up By: rare - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:41

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:41
Yeah thanks eighty matey thats what I,m looking for adventure. I went through there some years ago. Camped a Limeburners, visited Yerranderie etc only took one nights camp but I cant remenber the way
FollowupID: 753770

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:47

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:47
G'day,
I will second this advice.
Took this route some years ago & enjoyed it. The river was up quite a bit & I almost floated my 4wd down the river but managed to let some water in to weigh it down!
Not very clever but better than floating off down the river!
Enjoy the trip.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 753771

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:05

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:05
Hi again,

just found the trek in "4WD Treks Close to Sydney", by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage, published by Boiling Billy.

It's called Caves to Caves and goes from Jenolan to Wombeyan Caves, via Yerranderie. They show camp grounds and places of interest too. Limeburners is now closed off.

The ExpoloreOz bookshop has it for $39.95, plus postage. It's got a different cover to ours but all the same treks. We've used the book heaps. It has great drives in it, heaps of info for each drive and complete trek notes. It's well worth having.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 753775

Sponsored Links