Anyone passing thru Milparinka??

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 13:55
ThreadID: 92115 Views:1849 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I guess it's a bit early for folks to be travelling outback at the moment- however if anyone is passing thru Milparinka from about March 9 call in for a cuppa and say Hi.
We will be 'volunteer town caretakers' there for a couple of weeks until about 25th.
For your info- the 'town' is manned by volunteer caretakers from March til October.
See ya
J&D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:12

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:12
Hello J & D - Good to read you are volunteering too. We are there in mid season from 19 July to 5 August. We were there just after Easter in 2011 and there were mice, mice and more mice. Hopefully they are somewhere now.

" For your info- the 'town' is manned by volunteer caretakers from March til October" - the "town" has a population of 2!!! But many tourists interesting stories to tell pass through.

Have a pleasant stay and enjoy.

Jinki & Harry
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478704

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 15:12

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 15:12
Hi Jinki & Harry
Last report is that the population has been halved !!!

J&D
FollowupID: 754244

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 16:51

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 16:51
J & D

Do you mean human population and if so, that will be either Mick the Worry or Adrian, the Roo shooter has left!

However if you are referring to the Mice population then half isn't too bad. thought still not good. At least they might not be playing soccer or hockey under the beds each night!!!!!!!

Always enjoy our time there, meet so many interesting bods.
JInki

FollowupID: 754248

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:19

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:19
Hi guys,
Just back from Milparinka.
All good out there. Had a week of over 40 degs. Heaps of mossies, flys & frogs (in the Cottage bathroom and public toilets).
Also snakes !! A family of 'Fierce Snakes' (Inland Taipan) under the Barracks, and Western Browms under the Courthouse !!!
There is a lot of growth around the whole Precinct. Spent all our time just clearing around the main buildings.
Would we go again??? YES.
Would we go in March??? NO.
Met up with Ruth a couple of times. What an amazing lady !! I wish I had half her energy.
Not many tourists, as it wasn't in season- and a lot of the roads around the Corner Country were closed for a while.
Cheers
J&D
FollowupID: 756775

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:08
Hi J & D

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves there - wondered how you were getting on. We were the first volunteers of the season a few years back, and said never again. Arrived after a huge dust storm and spent the first week cleaning everything -- red talcum powder dust like over just everything. Couldn't recognise the sink and surrounds. Also was quite warm, but the hotel was open back then, so happy hour up there every afternoon usually with Adrian and Mick!

Wondered about the roads too - many closed early in your stay. Still it is peaceful place to be. Always frogs in the toilets and fancy you had a snake family! Was always concerned about snakes especially in the bedroom of the cottage. All those peep holes in the mortar and sandstone worried me - always looking for beadie eyes looking at me during the night? Last year, only saw a couple of snakes on our walks. But 1,000's of mice!

You meet so many interesting travellers -- last year met a woman who had been on the road literally for the past 12 years - had a small motor home. And because we travel the outback having done most of the tracks over the years, it is a good conversation point when you know where the travellers are going or have been.

We will be at Milparinka at the end of July early August and look forward to it. Dare say it will be cooler days by then and possibly very cold nights.

Ruth is full of energy and the Visitors/Information Centre would not exist without her.

Best wishes for happy and safe travelling
cheers
Jinki & Harry

FollowupID: 756814

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:14

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:14
Hello J & D - Good to read you are volunteering too. We are there in mid season from 19 July to 5 August. We were there just after Easter in 2011 and there were mice, mice and more mice. Hopefully they are somewhere else by now.

" For your info- the 'town' is manned by volunteer caretakers from March til October" - the "town" has a population of 2!!! But many tourists interesting stories to tell pass through.

Have a pleasant stay and enjoy.

Jinki & Harry

AnswerID: 478705

Reply By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 16:20

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 16:20
We went through there a couple of years ago and had a great chat and cuppa with ladies there,
So well worth the stop.

Richard
AnswerID: 478724

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 17:04

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 17:04
Hi Wombat,

Where did you hear that the population has halved?

We are heading up there over Easter to visit Adrian and Mick, the two "townies".
One of them is a relative.
In fact, there will be a dozen or so rellies and friends visiting, so Milparinka will be rocking over Easter.

To all others, don't bother dropping in because the town will be full:-)
OK, OK - doesn't matter, drop in and say G'day anyway if you are passing through.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478727

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:09
Yes Bill....Adrian and Mick are still in town.
All good in Milparinka..Apart from the mossies, the flys, the frogs& the snakes!!
Just got back yesterday afetr 2 weeks up there.
J&D
FollowupID: 756774

Sponsored Links