Hema maps on android tablet help please I am illiterate as far as this goes

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:12
ThreadID: 92217 Views:10385 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
I may be asking a really dumb question I am looking at buying an Ipad2 with the GPS thingy and buying the hamma maps app, but my daughter tells me that I would be better off buying an android tablet (I think that was the term) but can I load hema maps onto another tablet. What do you suggest we are off to the Kimberley in July,
Thanks heaps in advance
barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robert & Karen - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:11

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:11
Hi Barb,

Hema has an iPad/iPhone application available for $180 with includes the Aussie maps.
Some of the feedback is not entirely positive so you should do some further research to make sure the iPad application meets your needs.

Regards

Robert
AnswerID: 479133

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:33

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:33
I have been looking at doing the same thing but have also heard Ipad is good but android operating system machines can be as good or better.
I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy T 10.1" screen and this was recommended by a local computer wharehouse.

I have contacted Samsung about the Galaxy Tablet performance and they say it only works from towers, But it does have a GPS receiver in it for the purpose, only their customer service section doesn't know anything and gives misleading info.
Asked some more questions from Samsung and hope I don't get a bum steer as I did last time. It makes you think they don't want to sell any.

Surely someone out there has one and can give us some info on running OziExplorer software for Android and then a moving map system from Hema or similar.
Apparently AsusEee pc also will do the same but you must check the specs and get definite info first.

Just findin de way with this stuff.

Ross M
AnswerID: 479136

Follow Up By: Aussie Camper - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 00:08

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 00:08
I have a iPad 1 and a ipad 2 if your thinking about getting a iPad wait a week or two as the iPad 3 should be out,

With the android , it been better, I guess it's a matter of choice but for me the iPad works well and the applications you need are all on the iPad.
If you are deciding to get a iPad, don't get the wifi version, you need the 3G version as the 3G version has the Gps, compass etc where the wifi version don't have these features.

With oziexplorer it is on the android but it is still on beta and the iPad version will be out in the future.

The iPad uses assisted Gps meaning it uses the phone towers for a quick connect but still use the satellites for your navigation. If no phone tower then it will be like any other gps system where it will take a little longer for you to get your location.

I myself travel full time around Australia and I use my iPad as a gps all the time.
It works and works very well.

The progrms I use on my ipad for my travels are

VMS :- this program comes preloaded With SmartTOPO navteq maps.
I also have purchased maps including Gregory and geoScience and iTopo maps
Using this you can choose the maps for your area with a click of a button

BIT MAP :- is another gps app that you can load oziexplorer maps (but not all oziexplorer
Maps are compatible) You can scan or buy maps for this software

METROVIEW :- is a app just like tomtom that will give you voice navigation note tomtom
Is available for the iPhone/iPad

GALILEO :- will download maps on the go from the Internet

NAVIONICS :- this is for boat charts and will give you all the details on the water.

Search for the names on iTunes to get more info on these apps

FollowupID: 754623

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 04:09

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 04:09
Ross

We have been running an Android tablet (ASUS Transformer TF101) with a 10.1 inch screen.

We run OziiExplorer (Android) on it. This beta version of Ozi is very stable and screen resolution of the tablet is awesome. It leaves our old PDA for dead in resolution & screen size.

We also run an external bluetooth GPS with the unit. It did take us some time to get the GPS working, but once we understood how to connect. it is an easy process.

For travelling outback, it is a great system. Just one thing - we had to search the web to find a suitable windscreen suction mount. Once sourced, we now can have the tablet sitting at eye level to follow our tracks.

BTW, we also downloaded Route 66 as well for highway driving. Whilst the times of travel are a little sus, the audio directional info is extremely good.

If you want more info, please ask.

Laurie
FollowupID: 754626

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:56

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:56
I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad tablet. This is a 10" tablet running Android 3.2 (Honeycombe).

The built in Assisted GPS is useless in the lenovo. However, like Laurie, I am using it with Oxiexplorer and a Bluetooth GPS and it is working very well (Tip: you need the "Bluetooth GPS" App). The resolution of Oziexplorer irunning on it is excellent. Also the touchscreen buttons of Oziexplorer make it easy to use in the car. The performance of the 1GHZ Dual Core processor is excellent. Oziexplorer loads new maps etc much faster than the old Windows CE device I was using.

The display brightness is very good in the car and it is easy to use, even in sunlight.

For a mount I am using a RAM mount "Universal Tough Tray II" P/N RAM-234-6, a Square mount plate (P/N RAM-246U ) and a couple of C size arms and a double suction cup mount. The Square mount plate I mentioned is good because it offsets the tablet below the line of the car bonnet so it does not affect visability when driving.

I am using "C" sized ball fittings and a double suction mount due to the weight of the tablet (about 700 Grams).
RAM do make dedicated mounts for some other tablets as well. Have a look on the RAM site for details:
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/TabletPCMounts/tabid/693/Default.aspx

I got my RAM components from Johnny Appleseed GPS on line shop.

As for the 10" size, I find it marginal, I think it will be too large for many people to be able to mount on their dashboards. I think something around 8 or 9 " would be better but that is a personal preference.

FollowupID: 754632

Follow Up By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:08

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:08
I too am in the process of purchasing an Android Tablet and will be using a RAM mount similar to what Mr Pointyhead posted (not sure about that name). Anyway I have done some testing on my HTC android PDA using oziexplorer and it seem to work ok.
I intend making a base mount for my cruiser and then mount a tablet tray using RAM fittings. Paul at Southern Insight in Sydney has been a great help trying to work this out.
I agree that 10" may be a little large however still am researching options. My concern is trying to get a USB option to use an external GPS. I just figured by not using bluetooth it reduces the devices I have to charge. I would appreciate any advice on that issue.
As I now have to wear reading glasses I am looking forward to a larger screen than my old windows HTC which I might add has been fantastic as a GPS navigation aid and logger.
I would be interested in anyone that is using other brand android tablets for navigation and they are working.
Great thread. I can't see the point in a stand alone navigator when you can use a tablet for a lot of other uses while at home and travelling.
FollowupID: 754681

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:43

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 23:43
Why not go directly to Hema and ask hem www.hemamaps.com.au/
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479138

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:12

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:12
Hi Nomadic Navara,
I was trying to as could you do it as Hemma ony advertises that they sell an app for ipad but that nothing else and I am a bit illiterate when it comes to ipads and apps etc so I was trying to find out if it could be done as I had read somewhere it could but I did not understand it so was after guidance. I usually try to do some research before posting questions. As I do not want to impose on people. I know I always assume people have researched their questions but they couldn't understand the info or couldn't find it
ar
FollowupID: 754652

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 02:48

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 02:48
Barbara, What I was getting at was to go to the Hema website. You will find a contact link on it somewhere. Use that to ask them about their products.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754696

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 00:26

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 00:26
hema maps are available from this site

i have all the 2008 ones on my phone

they are directly compatable with both ozi explorer or the free androzic mapping apps both of course only on android

its simply a matter of downloading the androzic app and copying and pasting the mapps into its map folder.

then if you so choose the Ozi Explorer app is available for $25 and you just point its mapping file path to the androzic folder so both programmes run off the same maps - then you can take your pick
AnswerID: 479143

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:45

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:45
We use Oziexplorer for Android on a Aldi/Metion 10 " tablet and it works very well, loaded all the Hema 4x4 DVD maps on it. Has its own GPS and is also 3G and WiFi and cost a lot less than the equivalent Ipad.
AnswerID: 479158

Reply By: Aussie Camper - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:32

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:32
I also love the big screen.

As we all get older look at the small gps that we use to,
it's harder to see the maps while driving.

Having the big screen it's so easy to see and the options to zoom in and out are great.

You can get GOOD dash mounts for the iPad and other large screen devices.

Also great features that you can install are tides, weather forecast ,caravan park details, etc. etc

AnswerID: 479181

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:15

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:15
Thank you all your replies I feel I understand it a bit better now. Here is another dumb or uninformed questiion do the the android tablets work the same as an Ipad by sliding your finger across or is it more a like a computer? Sorry if I sound a bit slow
Barb
AnswerID: 479203

Follow Up By: Aussie Camper - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:59

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 13:59
Hiya
If you like the hema on the iPad it's as Easy as having a iPad 3G version
And buy the hema maps on iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/4wd-australia/id465639977?mt=8

With the android , here are a few YouTube videos that you an look at
To give you an idea of what it looks like
http://tinyurl.com/Ozandroidtablet
FollowupID: 754655

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 15:14

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 15:14
Thank you so much, that is very much appreciated
Barb
FollowupID: 754668

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:09

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:09
I am using a 7" android tablet I brought on e.bay for $265 which came with 12 volt charger and window holder, it is called a Dropad and it is the best I have found using Ozi the screen res is great. I brought the Oziexplorer App from Ozi for $20 works fine but only has three pages so far.
AnswerID: 479270

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 14:00

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 14:00
Hi Bruce. Does your tablet have GPS and/or Bluetooth?
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754723

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:39

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:39
Hi Kevin, here is a link to it, look down towards the bottom and you will see where they have the windscreen holder and 12 volt charger as an extra.Dropad
FollowupID: 754874

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 13:16

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 13:16
Looks good Bruce. My Cudo special has the same operating system but lacks 3G, GST and Bluetooth and the 12V charger but it was about $100 less. You get what you pay for.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754883

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:09

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:09
Hi Kevin, it's a pity it looks like you may not make it to St George as I could have shown you how well it works.
FollowupID: 754917

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:15

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:15
I'll be doing my best to get there. First job tomorrow is a call to the van dealer. If he can't give me the right he will need to hold the phone well away from his ear.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754921

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:45

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:45
Hope it all goes well mate and would be nice to meet you.
FollowupID: 754924

Sponsored Links