Landcruiser 1Hz GT32 turbo fitment

Submitted: Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 18:02
ThreadID: 92246 Views:7583 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm writing this solely as a reference to others who are looking for info turbocharging their non turbo 1hz Diesel.

Background -
Car is a bog standard 80 series 1Hz diesel. Just shy of 400k on the clock. Owned it almost since new in '94.
First I fitted genie headers, removed the first muffler under the drivers seat, valve shims and timing belt, new oil/fuel/air filters.
Marginally better.
Engine did seem to rev more freely and was a bit nicer to drive. Did it help much on hills on the highway? Not much. Sounded much the same.

Next step was fitting a turbo.
Exhaust manifold is a custom fabricated job from steam pipe bends. Proper split pulse design. Turbo a brand new Garrett GT32 with 0.69a/r turbine housing (which is by default a split pulse design). 7psi built in wastegate. Bought brand new in the box for $400 on ebay.
Removed the sump and welded the turbo drain in. You have to weld from both sides as the sump is dual skin.
Fitted a Tee where the oil pressure gauge sensor fit as on the side of the block (just above the oil filter). Oil runs through AN-3 fittings to the turbo. No oil restrictor required as the GT32 is a proper diesel turbo and runs bushes not bearings.
Air inlet and air supply to turbo fabricated from cast aluminium bends and silicone bends.
Exhaust is via a Redback full mandrel 3" system. I had to fabricate the turbo fitment section to suit the GT32.
Thermocouple fitted about 5cm from the turbo outlet as directed by Denco Diesel. This is to monitor exhaust gas temps.
Injector pump fitted with a boost compensator and pump reset by Denso diesel. Injectors serviced, valve shims, timing belt, all new filters plus a bunch of minor service items such as hoses and Vee belts.

Well how does it go ??
Surprisingly the exhaust is only slightly louder than the original system. I was happy with the quiet note and I must say the redback system fits perfectly, no rattles anywhere and heaps of clearance to everything under the car.
Boost starts building from about 1200rpms and hits full boost at around 1800. Very progressive boost response, when cruisinig it responds reasonably quickly but very smoothly.
Sitting on 100kph on a flat road it sits constant on 4 or 5 psi, hit a hill and the boost starts to come up and you can see it on the speedo it hold speed really well.
I used the GT32 turbo as it suits highway cruising, has good exhaust flow which helps keep EGT's down and although its a bush turbo it still has Garrett GT technology in the turbine and compressor designs. It also does not have water cooling so it doesnt add any load to the cooling system.
On the highway cruising at 100kph exhauast temps sit at just under 200'C. Hard acceleration through the gears peaks it at 370'c. I have never been able to get it over 400'C yet.
Performance? Excellent. Very noticeable improvement, improved fuel economy. Initial fuel consumption tests show it using around 11L/100kms. Thats with an empty car, just the driver, with about half the big tank full. Semi highway/suburban driving.
I fitted a temporary oil pressure gauge to ensure the turbo isnt creating a pressure drop in oil within the engine. Oil pressure is really strong and surprisingly good considering this motor has done 400k kms.

I intend to get the thing on the dyno at Denco Diesel and it tuned spot on. Thats the next thing I want to do. Even without this it goes great.

As everyone kept telling me this turbo wont work its too big. I say rubbish and I've proven them wrong!!!!
There is no way I would fit anything smaller to a 1hz. I wish I had done this years ago.
I really love driving the 80 series again now..........
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 11:34

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 11:34
Hi 285,
I fitted a turbo to my 1997 1HZ and like you I was very pleased with the resultant performance. Mine is a Denco but I don't know the model.
I was told by "some" that you can not fit a turbo to an old diesel but mine is running better than ever and is now at 240K. I use 2 stroke oil in the fuel at a ratrio of 200:1 (approx) but it has to be oil for water cooled 2 strokes, ie outboard motors.
If you are in Sydney maybe we could compare notes.
Ian
AnswerID: 479267

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:39

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:39
285, this is a very timely posting for me as I'm looking at getting a 1Hz troopy and was seriously contemplating getting a turbo fitted.

Thanks

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479272

Sponsored Links