Long Range Fuel Tank

Hi All
Thanks in advance for your comments it has never failed in the past.

I take delivery of a new Navara Series 5 - 3 Litre diesel after our Pajero was totalled on Christmas Day (Melbourne)

It only has an 80 Litre tank and I want to upgrade to a larger one for long trips so I don't have to carry fuel on the roof.

Can anyone give me some clues and or experience of a manufacturer that wont rip me off and provides a quality product.(preferably made in Oz)

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 02:13

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 02:13
This is what is in the back of mine - Site Link - Opposite Lock fitted it.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479352

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:25

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:25
Hmm, I wonder if that'd fit my Pathfinder? They don't list it.
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754814

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:43

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:43
No chance. Whilst the chassis may be identical up front they differ behind the front door. The R51 is 300 mm shorter wheelbase and has independent rear suspension. The tow bars are very different in nature.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754855

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:51

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:51
Word of warning, the tank above only fits the D40. The D40 has a wheel base longer than the D22 and the R51.That's why the D22 has one of the smallest knee roon in the rear seat but the D40 has one of the best.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754858

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:56

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:56
Thanks for the quick reply NN, I suspected it'd be different. I do know that I can source a LongRanger and have my spare relocated to a rear mount but we're starting to talk big bucks. I'll just carry a spare can……
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754860

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 22:12

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 22:12
Most of the contents of the additional tank are above the main tank. I'm not sure how far I could travel on the main tank before the gauge started to drop but I now get about 500 km.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754965

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:29

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:29
Brown Davis mate !

Made in Bayswater Melbourne

Click here for link

Back up is best there is.

AnswerID: 479354

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:38

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:38
Morning Bucky, you must be the only person that has had good back up from Brown Davis................

Years ago had two Brown Davis tanks fail on the CSR, two different cars and different failures, they where new for the trip, they eventually replaced the tanks but was never really happy...... the attitude of the owner was very poor to say the least.

Have heard similar stories from lots of others.

Have used LRA since, no failures so no need for back up, lol.

Will have to catch up soon, take care, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 754812

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:10

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:10
I have LRA tank which leaked while still under warranty. They agreed to repair it only if I paid freight to and from which would have been hundreds. I had it repaired by a local boilermaker for a carton, he said it was a 'cold weld' where it leaked. Therefore their back up is less than perfect.
FollowupID: 754817

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:19

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:19
John
Maybe my size and ugliness that got things fixed.

Never an issue with them.
Have rang them from sat phone, not that far from Well 33, on the Gary Junction Rd, by the time We got back into Alice, all set up and patched, by a local.
Got back to Wonthaggi some 8 days later, and off to Bayswater, had it replaced no probs, new tank and new 3 year warranty.
With service like that I Can't praise them enuf !

Cheers mate
Bucky
Ps you owe me a visit too
FollowupID: 754821

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:48
I'm a wrap for Brown Davis stuff as well. They have provided excellent service to me dealing with issues on other manufacturers products. Their tanks actually have extra reinforcing on key edges and corners that others don't.

I've used three manufacturers tanks over the years including LRA and had all of them fail at some stage. Two cracked and leaked (LRA & Lone Ranger), on another (B/D) the mount broke (the tank retained its integrity though). Considering the type of travelling I do, I have some pretty specific thoughts on accessories and in particular, long range tanks. I've covered this quite a few times on the forum and in blogs. LRA provide an excellent product and excellent service in my experience, as do Brown Davis. I would recommend either over some of the alternatives such as Long Ranger (ARB). Many who have had to deal with ARB's after sales service will know what I mean. I’m also one for providing personal based experiences and not anecdotal “someone told me about it” evidence when referring to products and manufacturers.

It's been my personal experience that a cheap option is not always the best option. Your specific travel needs should help influence your choice. If you going to be towing a van down bitumen roads with an occasional drive on a dirt road or track, you may never have an issue with a cheapy (foreign made) alternative. If you are at all serious about travelling the iconic outback roads and tracks, then I'd not harp about the additional cost of buying a quality Australian made product that has been developed to suit Australian conditions, is supported locally and has been improved by feedback from the people who use them

If you are in Melbourne, then Brown Davis, ARB and LRA are all within the same geographical areas and can easily be visited on a Saturday morning. Other cheaper alternatives are available at local 4x4 outlets in the Bayswater area. Go and have a look and compare the quality of the units and the manufacturing process. I know Kevin at Brown Davis and Roger at LRA are always happy to walk a customer through the manufacturing processes. Look at edge banding, internal baffling, corner and edge reinforcing (Use of “pacmen” on pivotal corners and stress points) and mounting brackets in particular.
The old adage “You get what you pay for” is not what you want ringing in your ears 400 km into the Canning with your motion lotion draining into the sand before your eyes!

My thoughts, Mick.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479389

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:55

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:55
as with all brands your going find people who have had problems with one or the other, going on previous thread replies posted when someone asks about longrange tanks this is no different.
i chose Longranger because i could get it and have it installed in under a week, where as other brands i was looking at that were slightly cheaper had a long wait time, which didn't suit me. been happy with it so far and had no problems.
AnswerID: 479394

Reply By: Member - Graeme M (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:48

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:48
Thanks very much for all the comments. Was not aware of Brown Davis so will investigate.

Where there any issues on the fuel sender needing to be recalibrated?

I assume it works as normal if there is half a tank the gauge shows half a tank???

I also understand the computer on the dash that calculates the average fuel you are using would now be useless, any comments.
AnswerID: 479415

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 17:32

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 17:32
Hi, my suggestion is try www.dolium.com.au Universal Fuel Tanks.
They make Poly tanks [weigh 8kg] and you can fit them in the tub [50-55-60Lt]
Big difference from 40kg for a long ranger tank and you can remove them and fit them to the next ute.
No connection just what I'm going to do.
PeterH
AnswerID: 479547

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 18:17

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 18:17
My 2 cents. I like to buy these type of products from an installer that can give you support when you need it away from home.
I would favor the likes of ARB or OL so if you have a problem you can get it attended to at a local dealer network to where you are.
As good as the local mechanic / installer is it is no good saying "bring it back in and we will have a look at it " When you are a few thousand kilometres from home

Plenty of products do it right, it is how you get a problem resolved when things go wrong that I like to consider
AnswerID: 479558

Sponsored Links