Outback NSW camping suggestions

Submitted: Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:49
ThreadID: 92308 Views:1521 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Me and a few mates have been camping for a long time, but we always camp in national parks/state forests near Sydney and thought it might be time to give the outback a try. However, I'm finding it pretty tricky to find much information on the net. The main things we are looking for are isolation and views. All of our other favourite spots are very isolated where we are unlikely to see any other people. We don't really require any amenities, we usually bring everything we need along with us. Has anyone got any good suggestions for outback NSW locations? We are based in Sydney, and have AWD vehicles (Toyota Rav4 etc).

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne D (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 14:32

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 14:32
As you are driving soft roaders you could look at Kinchega NP or Mungo. Camping on the river in Kinchega should give you some isolation. Further south Bendethera is good but you have to be carefull with the rain as it can be very slippery. Make sure you go in from Moryua as many of the tracks in are strictly high clearence 4wd.

I did the Kinchega, Munga and Mutawintji NP in a Falcon Ute and then again in Mazda Tribute so they are do-able, again be mindful of the weather and road closures.

Closer to home there are some good spots in the Blue Mountains or Bathurst area
AnswerID: 479530

Follow Up By: EugeneB - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 14:36

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 14:36
Thanks for that, Kinchega looks promising. I was looking at Mungo but it looked like you had to camp in the designated sites. Are there spots where we could set up by ourselves away from the sites?

Yeah we are regulars to the Blue Mountains, looking to get a but further afield for a change!
FollowupID: 754996

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne D (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 15:20

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 15:20
I was last at Mungo in 2007 and was designated spots then so could not see that changing.
Kinchega was along the river which should be good now with plenty of water. When we ere there in 2007 there was no one around us and had a great spot on a bend in the river. The old woolshed near the shearers quaters is well worth a visit. I also took my father in law up there once and we stayed in the sheares quaters. Not a soul around at night and a comfy bed to sleep in too.

FollowupID: 754998

Sponsored Links