Help needed around Sydney

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 07:16
ThreadID: 92330 Views:1797 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
My son is new to 4wdriving and camping and would like to take his family away for a night or two. He has no camping experience or gear of his own and has only just bought a 4wd. He would like to start with an overnighter near Sydney which could have him doing some 4wdriving but end up somewhere with accommodation. I live in Brisbane and don't know that area too well. It is fun to watch his excitement growing. He doesn't know if he wants a camper trailer or tent as yet, or what type of gear he needs. I have told him to just get out there and all will become evident on his needs and wants. Hence the call for help for his first trip. We are just after some nice locations with accommodation and some 4wdriving.
Is this how we all started?
Thanks all,
Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:04

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:04
With all the rain that has fallen recently he would be best to put it off for a while as everything is either submerged or very waterlogged.
As a a first weekend I'd suggest a trip up through the Watagans mostly on dirt forestry type roads as he has minimal 4wd experience and then across to the Anna Bay area to stay for the night in a notel or cabin in a caravan park and then out onto Stockton beach for sand driving on the sunday.
His best idea though would be to join a 4wd club and get the basics under his belt before heading out on his own.
AnswerID: 479599

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:23

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:23
I can't comment on good tracks around Sydney, but agree 100% with Peter on two points - wait till it dries out a bit, and especially, join a 4WD club before getting too adventurous. There's a listing of many NSW clubs here.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755048

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:48

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:48
I agree with John.
FollowupID: 755052

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 09:54

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 09:54
John

Not a bad idea. However I would not send him onto the sand without any gear or experience. No way.

Stay off the sand at Stockton! Okay with someone with experience. But not on your own.

He would also benefit in joining a club heaps.

Phil
FollowupID: 755061

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:58

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:58
I suggest he buy the Boiling Billy book that has weekend getaways close to Sydney in it.
There are a variety of simply off road getaways that are well documented that he could work off to get started

AnswerID: 479601

Sponsored Links