Motorhome rental in NZ

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 15:35
ThreadID: 92341 Views:2552 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI,
My wife and I would like to freecamp thru NZ next year. Can members please assist with info on a preferred motorhome rental company, and general info on how we could spend a month or so traveling around. We have not been there previously, and would appreciate the advice from those who have done a similar trip. We would rather find the pitfalls before we go.
Regards, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 15:54

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 15:54
Hi Barry, we used Appollo and found them to be excellent. We booked via Motorhome Brokers and managed to get a very good deal. You doing North or South Islands?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479624

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:05

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:05
I got to spend a couple of weeks in Wellington last year with work so I have a few suggestions of what to see and do there.

Take the Wellington harbour ferry for a "Cruise" around the harbour. It is a good cheap way to check out the fantistic harbour. The ferry goes from the redeveloped harbour side.

The Te Papa Museum is a must to visit while in Wellington.

Explore the Botantical Gardens and historic cemetary next to it (That some geninus put a freeway through the middle of in the early 70's !). Do forget to take a ride on the cable tram that runs from the CBD up to the Botantical gardens.

Visit Stellin Park on Tinakori hill and explore the walking tracks across the hill. Great views down the the harbour and the CBD. ( http://tracks.org.nz/area/show/18 )

Take the time to explore the redeveloped water front. There is a bit to see there such as the maratime museum. They have done a very good job with the redevelopment.

AnswerID: 479629

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:20

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:20
Opps .. I mean "Do NOT forget" to take the cable tram .....
FollowupID: 755098

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:13

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 16:13
G'day Barry, I researched this years ago before our two NZ trips & found it was
uneconomic to hire a motorhome as opposed to a car & cabins/motels. While some
freecamping is possible, it would be most awkward without a shower/toilet setup.
This may have changed in the meantime..you should check it out.
Tips...dont hire your car or motorhome in Oz...do it on the net from Oz but direct
with NZ hirers. We hired a 2L auto for half the quoted Oz price, & they picked us up
from the airport. Dont pay big bucks to get rid of the excess...this is covered in
travel insurance policies. Ditch the car between islands..get another on the other side.
Our favourite NZ stuff....Train trips from Auckland to Wellington, & Christchurch to
Greymouth...Doubtful Sound Day trip...Drive from Teanu to Milford Sound & return,
go at daylight & you will miss the 200 buses until halfway back... Bay of Islands,
& Cream Cruise...If you are into hiking (& fit) do the Tongiriro Crossing near Taupo,
bloody hard full day walk but brilliant.
The whole place is a gem, & with a month, you will need to go slowly.
cheers........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 479632

Reply By: caseh - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:18

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 17:18
Hallo Barry.
I sort of reside in Tauranga, New Zealand. We spend half our time here on the farm and disappear into the outback every April and return to NZ in October.
Do not expect free camping in NZ to be as it is in Australia.
A lot of local authorities have clamped down in recent times. All campers now require containment of grey and black water.
Should you decide to visit both the North and South island keep in mind that you might have to pre book your ferry crossing. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are options to return a from Christchurch back to Auckland free of charge. The companies will normally give you a week or so to return the and this will save you on hire and accommodation as well.
The option to maybe just hire a car and use motel accommodation is not a bad one. This will normally turn out a cheaper option; keeping in mind that you won't be travelling large distances in one day like we do in Australia.
The exchange rate is in your favour so make the most of it. As for, February is a good month. The weather is normally stable and the kids are back at school.
Enjoy your holiday in the land of the long white cloud.
AnswerID: 479640

Reply By: Old Dave - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 18:01

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 18:01
Hi

We are presently touring NZ, we arranged our flights, car hire and ferry crossing before leaving Perth.
We have found that hiring a car was definitely the way to go and using motel accommodation which is very reasonably priced - about $80 to $100 NZ a night for a studio unit own facilities.
Would NOT recommend All Seasons Hotel in Auckland.
Regards
Dave
AnswerID: 479650

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 19:52

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 19:52
Queen Vik and I were there in April last year. You can get better deals on camper rates in the shoulder periods (just off peak). Where you go depends on the time you have. If only a couple of weeks, I'd restrict myself to the South Island so you can do it justice.

I wrote blogs on the trip and some hints;

Handy hints for travelling in NZ

At large in the land of the long white cloud

To Te Anu

Queenstown and Wanaka

West Coast - where Rainforests and Glaciers meet

Southern Alps and Hamner Springs

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479661

Reply By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 20:19

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 20:19
Hi Barry
We traveled to N.Z May 2010 had 2 weeks on Nth Island & 2 weeks on Sth Island
We ( couple) hired a 4 berth motor home the extra space was well worth the extra cost especially as the weather wasn't very kind to us. The company we used was www.adventurevans.co.nz. The company was fantastic to deal with followed up straight away everything was done online from Melb.
At the time we booked they were far cheaper than the major companies.
We had a couple of minor issues with the van but nothing that spoiled the trip. If you do hire from this company I would recommend getting the Fiat 4 berth has great big windows especially at rear. Great veiws.
You can leave the rear bed made up and there is still a mid vehicle table to use for dining. No making up beds daily. We had a great time. The boat trip from Wellington to Picton is very scenic especially the Sth Island.
Highlights..
* Rotorua - Maori Village day guided tour.
Evening culture Show at Mitai Maori Village.
* Helicopter flight over Fox glacier.
* Train trip Christchurch to Greymouth snowing when we did it, a great trip.
* Queenstown Gondola ride. snowing again - awsome veiws of snow capped mountains.
* Boat trip Milford sound.
Just the best of a fantastic place and people.
We wouldn't hesitate to do it exactly the same again - the weather is the weather !!

Unfortunately you won't experience Christchurch at it's best as we did.

You will have a great time

Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 479665

Reply By: Grubby - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 02:42

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 02:42
I used this one http://www.nzmotorhomes.co.nz/ - they were extremely cheap back then (2005) less than half the price of the others. Only worked out around 38 bucks a day!! We had a slight problem whereby it leaked on the first few days out - but they quickly sent us a new one down to Queenstown to replace it. I would highly recommend them if they are still well priced. We (my nine year old at the time) did 5 weeks in the South only that time. Although it is really pretty - I wouldn't stay too long in Wanaka - it's full of yobbo's. Other than that - it's all beautiful.
AnswerID: 479710

Reply By: Seakarvan - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:03

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:03
Hi Baz,

We took 3 weeks to circumnavigate the South Island in a 6 berth Motorhome. After doing the Milford Track and a week to get over it, we picked up the unit at Queenstown.
We free camped occasionally but the spots are few and far between. Stick to Parks/Camping areas.
The Dart River Jet boat is worth a go and all the easy to find tourist spots.

You will find a camping spot not far from Mt Cook (ask any local) nothing flash but ok.
If it rains get out immediately unless your not in a hurry.

Notes to keep in mind:
Watch the the parrots mate. They will destroy anything that takes their fancy.
Midges
Getting Gob-smacked by the scenery overload (Never need to see a waterfall again)
Midgees
Not sleeping at Franz Josef Van park because of ice belting into the bridge supports
Midgees

Have a memorable trip

Cheers

Seakarvan
AnswerID: 479724

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:49

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:49
Barry

Lots of information here, I have used Apollo in the past and it was good.

It depends on what you want, if you are flexible and a little daring, you can do this very cheap.

With a mixture of Camper and accommodation and a bit of planning you can get a camper for $1 a day...

Yes a New Zealand $ a day.

Keep an eye on Apollo relocations and watch for the bargains.

This is also available in Australia and the US.

AnswerID: 479807

Sponsored Links