Wattle Flat Location

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 20:49
ThreadID: 92595 Views:1558 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All. The war office and I camped some years ago, at a place that we belive was called Wattle Flat. We will be retireing very soon and this is one place we would like to revist and maybe camp there for a few days longer this time. But we carnt remember where it was. As far as I can remember, we left Tamworth going north. Turned to Walcha and then turned off the Oxley Hwy north into the moutains. Traveling up that track, we turned off to the right and went down to a river. If anybody knows where this is, can you give me the coordiates and or directions please. Keep the shiny side up boys and gals. Cheers Errol
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:46
That's in the Styx River State Forest, quite a few camp sites in that part of the world you could easily spend a while there.
AnswerID: 480669

Reply By: Rod W - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:46
Well jeez christ you're a blast from the past. How you going Errol? Whats Peter from York doing these days?

Cheers

Rod
AnswerID: 480670

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:39

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:39
Still here, still a member. Starting to look foward to traveling when we want to. Peter is still here, or rather has a job(thats a dirty word now) working up north in security. Errol
FollowupID: 756103

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:22

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:22
G'day EWrroll

Opposite sides of Australia but we seem to spend a bit oif time in each others back yards, as I have spent a bit of time in Northam over the past few years.

Wattle Flat still exists within Styx River State Forest, there were pit toilets and basic wooden BBQs there the last time we made it in.
The direct access road no longer exists due to a wooden bridge collapsing several years ago but you can get there by travelling a bit further NE on the Styx Forest Rd (towards Point Lookout) and then back tracking once you know which Forest track to head down
The best local knowledge (apart from NSW state Forests office in Armidale) is the nearest village Wollomombi in their local store. Call in there as they have a whole wall plastered with 1:25 000 Topo maps. You can't actually get there from Walcha unless you have a packhorse, about 10 days and did it before the place was turned into a NP 25 years ago.
You take the Coffs Harbour Rd from Armidale, call into the Wollomombi store (now bypassed), then turn off the Coffs Rd down the old Kempsey Rd. After about 20km you turn left (NE) up the Styx Forest Drive to Point Lookout.

It is about 1200m elevation and is quite cool and wet.

AnswerID: 480671

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:28

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:28
PS if it is too cool, base yourself at either West Kunderang Wilderness Park (enclosed within a NP) or Georges Junction, both within 50km/ an hour of Wattle Flat

FollowupID: 756102

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:45

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:45
Thanks for that. a bit further north than I remembered and on a different road as welll. I did say it was some years ago. Cheers and thanks. Errol
FollowupID: 756104

Sponsored Links