Oztrail elite villa dome

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:15
ThreadID: 92639 Views:4764 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi just wondering if anyone has/had this tent?

I have been looking at it for some time however there seems to be absolutely no where in Sydney that has this tent on display!? Honestly how do they expect you to buy a 400-500 dollar product when you can't even see it?

In any case, there are a few questions I was hoping people could answer for me.

Firstly what is the quality of this tent like? I currently have a Coleman chalet xl which i am very happy with quality wise but don't like the sloping and tapered walls in the bedrooms (not very practical). I have seen other oztrail tents which seemed to be of OK quality, nothing great (sportiva range) but I'm hoping that the villa elite is of higher quality.

Secondly, do all the rooms including the screen room have a hook for hanging a light and some sought of cable clip? I know that the central room does however I cannot find any information indicating if the bedrooms and screen room do too.

Also if anyone knows any store in Sydney that has these on display so I could see one in the flesh it would be very much appreciated.

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RedCherokee - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:40

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:40
I have one of those.

Quality - Have used it a for a total of a few weeks worth of camping over multiple trips, and some corner joins look like they could do with a touch of reinforcement. We have had just a little water in during heavy rain, but hadn't found the source - it was more than condensation, but that is the quantity we are talking about. I thought for the size it was fairly low priced, and the quality was fine for what I paid. I would expect Camping World to have other Oztrail tents on display and that will pretty much show you the quality.

Tapered walls. I hadn't noticed an issue with this. I have seen some that taper badly, so I know what you mean. We used one of those queen size anywhere beds in one side - so a foot or more off the floor and the side slope still wasn't an issue. I think you will be happy enough with that aspect.

Hooks: There is a loop in the centre of the main room, and we found that as an alternative to just hanging a regular light, we could hang a LED strip with one end in that and the other on a loop on the side. The side rooms don't have central loops, but we had no problems hanging lights off the window loops. The front room does lack a hanging loop. We sat a lamp or torch in it's charger on the table and it really wasn't an issue.

The other issue I had was that when you have the front of the fly pegged out as an awning, it will let rain in the front room. We added an extra tarp over the entry to deal with that.

After the first time I was surprised at how quickly we could put it up. It really wasn't hard at all once we got a teamwork routine worked out. You need two people - one to raise the centre up while the other clips the poles in.

I am in Canberra, and would be willing to sell mine as we have now moved up to a camper trailer.

Lyn
AnswerID: 480970

Sponsored Links