Spinifex or On the Move caravans

Hi All
Looking at purchasing an 'Off Road van"
Would like some feedback on Spinifex and On the Move Grenade vans.
How they compare to one another and build quality

cheers
Laurie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: energy marty - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:34

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:34
From what I've seen of the Spinifex caravans, you wouldn't find much better.

MH
AnswerID: 481173

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:07

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:07
Hi Laurie,

I can't comment on the On the move vans, but I had a look at the Spinifex factory when they were doing some work on my van last year and must say I was very impressed with the work I saw being done and the attitude of the staff and management.
I believe that the owner is a past Kedron Caravans employee, which can't be a bad thing.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481192

Follow Up By: energy marty - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:34

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:34
yep - Steve used to be with Kedron...
FollowupID: 756574

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:08

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:08
Just on looks you would have to choose the Spinifex.

Or.......

if you are towing with a 3 litre Patrol, the Grenade would be perfect.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481202

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:38

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:38
hey gone bush u trying to start a war?....:)
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756615

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:15

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:15
Just chuckin' a few around...

Image Could Not Be Found

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756622

Reply By: Member - Shell P (W.A) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 19:52

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 19:52
Hi Laurie,

We have owned & lived in a Spinifex Caravan for nearly 2 years & we cannot fault it. They are extremely well built.

If you have any questions you wish to ask please feel free to email or PM.

Cheers,
Dave & Shell
Dave & Shell
2010 Spinifex Off-Road Van
2011 Landcruiser Altitude TTD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481204

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:09

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:09
I never heard of On The Move caravans until now. Looking at the website the Granade looks very "industrial" to me - the Spinifex is to me a much more asthetically attractive looking van. But I guess looks are not very important.
I would like to know the ball weight of the granade - look very heavy with 2 spare wheels. gas bottles etc right on the A frame.
How do they compare in price?
We did extensive research recently (over 9 months) on 5 of the top offroad vans available and Spinifex came in second. But On the Move was not in our assessment as I did not know about them.
Cheers
AnswerID: 481206

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie S - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 21:09

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 21:09
What came first on your list?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756593

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 21:56

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 21:56
HI Laurie,
We considered Bushtracker, Kedron, Phoenix, Sunland, and Spinifex. We did a lot of comparisons looking at the caravan show, research on the caravan forum and visiting the manufacturers (all of the above 5 are within 30min drive of where I live in SEQ). All of these 5 are worthy vans and are built to last – very robust. But there was 1 or more aspects on each we did not like e.g. Bushtracker is a great van but their suspension in my view is not the most suitable for corrugations (but is the best for driving over logs, boulders, holes etc – very good articulation). In the end we chose Sunland as they were the closest to all the options and build characteristics that we wanted – e.g. they use cruisemaster trailing arm independent suspension with 8 h/d Gabriel shock absorbers. ( I have a friend who has a PhD in mechanical engineering who advises that for corrugations – shock absorbers are essential part of the suspension). Living in Queensland I am a bit paranoid about hail storms – so wanted a full fibreglass van – Sunland will build that for us (out of 5mm fibreglass sheeting) that will withstand hail the size of oranges. It always seemed odd to me that so-called off road vans have checker plate 600mm up the sides and then paper thin aluminium sheeting – I’ve seen photos of off road vans with big slices down the side from hitting an overhanging branch. So we are getting full fibreglass sides as well (an option with Sunland). We wanted a full box aluminium frame – Spinifex use C channel and so on.

I could go on and on but it comes down to what build characteristics are important to you. All of the above a high quality vans and will last the distance off road (as I suspect ON The Move will as well). But I would recommend a look at the Sunland Blue Heeler, Winton or Patriot SE. in your comparison.

Cheers

FollowupID: 756597

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie S - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 08:16

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 08:16
Thank you for the information. We had looked at the blue heeled but will now put sun land back on our list to further review

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756609

Sponsored Links