Close by Perth Family Camp Spot

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 17:42
ThreadID: 92819 Views:5591 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi everyone,
I have been asked by some mates to find a camp site for an upcoming dad & kids getaway or should that be a run away from mums weekend. Anyway are wanting to find a location close to Perth (say a few hours drive) and we are tossing up the best location. There are a few choices like Dwellingup, Jurian etc but I thought I would ask you all. We used to go to Wedge and camp on the beach.

Dates are mid May, we would ideally like somewhere we can light a fire. Kids are between 7 & 12, at least 4 dads and 8 kids. Water for fishing would be good. Beach cricket is a usual activity also. We are only going for 2 nights so do not want to spend hours in the cars.

What do you reckon?
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 18:25

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 18:25
Thanks mods for linking the Camp Search - just used it and found the following.

Herron Point - could be good can fires be used here out of prohibited season, does anyone know.

Old Whittakers Mill anyone have any info for this location

Nanga Mill just not near a beach but the brook has some water. All other requirement seem to be meet.

It seems like most camping north is not that great but please let me know there is of course Sandy Cape.

The places system is lacking some detail for these spots so anyone with info would you please updates these locations. Being mid May it will be getting cool so what do you all reckon about these or other spots.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481537

Reply By: Bill BD - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 18:50

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 18:50
I would suggest Dwellingup (Nanga). Camps are along the Murray River. Some sites are first come first served... some can be booked. You won't find anywhere close to Perth where you can light a fire this time of the year. Don't even try.
AnswerID: 481540

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 19:03
Bill,
Yeah know about the fire thing, but we are going in mid May so this is outside the restrictions as I think they still end at the end of April. Thanks for the info believe it or not I have not camped in the Lane Pool area at all. We seem to head away from town when it is camp time and hence the reason I decided to ask the experts.

I also just found in placesMartins Tank Lake Campground

I need to visit them all so I can update the system with the information about these locations.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756893

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:55

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:55
Agree with Bill that the Dwellingup location is pretty good escape for 'boys getaways'. but probably lacking the fishing angle. Other than that the water, canoeing, swimming, bush tracking are good value.

Never heard of the Martins Tanks area before your post David and seeing that is near the coast, it may well be the winner for future camps and look forward to any feedback if you choose to locate there.

Hope the break is successful

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756905

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 02:13

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 02:13
There are redfin in the river all through there but hard to catch when the water is up. You will probably be ok with May, unless we get another "no rain winter".
FollowupID: 756920

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:29

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:29
martins tanks is OK but the lakes are uninspiring for kids and really not much to do around there. you will need to drive them to preston beach which while not far the dirt road is very corragated so takes a bit longer. bit of walking around the tracks, wildlife includes bandicoots and roos. Fishing is beach fishing which needs a good cast and calm weather - dunno how old the kids are but to do it properly i would think 14 pluss to be able to cast out far enough
FollowupID: 756922

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:17

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:17
Drove around Martins Tank on Monday, very small sites suitable for tents only. Looked like only one spot for a small van/camper and that was for the use of the camp hosts.
Being right by the water could also mean mobs of mozzies which was the case at Belvidere camp site 20 minutes down the road towards Bunbury.
Not a bad site but absolutely plagued with them and they carry Ross River virus as well.
I'd reckon Sandy Cape as a good alround spot.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 756949

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:11

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:11
Congelin campground is good.

Also Dryandra campground too. Cabins, wildlife at night.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481551

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:45

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 20:45
Hi

Heirisson Island ? You may have to bring your own wood :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481553

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 01:06

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 01:06
You may need to change your skin colour otherwise you might cop a fine.
BW
FollowupID: 756919

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 22:05
Hi David

Marrinup camp grounds is near Dwellingup but no charge as yet. Very popular with down hill bike riding.Camp rings with plates and toilets. A few Kms further into the bush is the remains of a WW2 POW camp. Interesting walk around.

Nanga Bush mill out of Dwellingup is a great camp ground. Can get a bit crowded on long weekends but the rangers do a good job down there.Toilets, camp rings & hot plates, plenty of walkways, great for push bike rides, small creeks and the large nanga brook. Noisy riff raff are turned away by rangers. Fees apply.

Herron Point is a bit - hmmm - sparse and more of a stop over for caravans before they hit Perth. Can be windy as it is open.

I have been to Martins Tank - it is nice but suited to small camp setups of one or two cars at a time and coppers logs so you have to cart everything over to the camp fire. Lots of campsites but only two cars in each one. Campfires and hot plates and toilets.Ranger fees.

Lake Indoon can be nice if there is water. Still nice enough dry with toilets (and showers I think).Stockyard gully is nearby which is worth a walk through.Ranger fees.

There was a free camp near Binningup. Just bush on the beach. Might be closed now as I have not been there in a while. Right behind the beach dunes. No toilet so sometimes a bit of date roll in the bush. (why people can't bury !!!ugh)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481559

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 00:42

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 00:42
Lake Indoon is not cheap. Binninup may be the one they charge a fee in peak season when camp host is present, but free out of season.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756917

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:10

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:10
Lake Indoon is dry as at the mo...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 757298

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:24

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:24
Boyogin rock- good for finding lizards etc , yabbying can be had in the dams in the reserve, planty of walk tracks and tracks for drivng, bike riding . activity can be spotlighting the tracks at night for wildlife, i saw a numbat here
AnswerID: 481571

Reply By: Ruffstuff. - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:58

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:58
Potters Gorge / wellington dam...
AnswerID: 481591

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24
We checked this place out on the way up to Sandy Cape last week. Looks like a great spot and is really close to Perth. Good luck.

http://www.triggertravel.com/4x4/wa-locations/wilbinga/

AnswerID: 481722

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:56

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:56
Wilbinga??

Only if you want to be pulling ticks out of your body for a week afterwards.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757308

Sponsored Links