Kimberley

Advice from experienced Kimberley travellers please. I am seeing threads stating that I need to pre book caravan parks in Broome etc ( a year in advance???).

We are leaving early July for 9 weeks and expected to stay approx 5 nights in Broome. How do I know exactly when I will be there?. If I do plan then I have to stick to a strict timeline ( which I don't want to).

Is it really that hard to find a site if i try to book two days before I get there?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:11

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:11
May through to September is the optimal travel season for the Kimberley.Broome is the Mecca for those down south on the west coast like Noosa used to be to Victorians. The caravan parks are generally heavily pre-booked by return vacationers. The number of blow ins arriving in Broome between June and August is phenominal. Having said that, I've always had a bit of luck pulling a site somewhere in town at late notice every year from 2006-2010 but is very much a roll of the dice. My suggestion is that if you can plan at least a couple of weeks in advance, make sure you do. I'd also suggest having all the phone numbers of the caravan parks handy with you so you can go through them fairly quickly as if you are not on the phone at 0800 each morning (or earlier), your chances diminish.

Safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481673

Follow Up By: Wheretonext - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:26

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:26
Thanks Mick
FollowupID: 757008

Reply By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:30
Hi
Yes, Yes, Yes, I was in Broome May/June last year 2011, I booked in Oct 2010 to secure my spot at Roebuck bay CP. While there we noticed that every day from about 11am the caravans start lining up outside park waiting for people to leave it was common to see half a dozen or more vehicles cued up waiting.
I share your concerns regarding having to book ahead it is my pet hate to "BUT" traveling in peak times especially Broome booking ahead is what you have to do.
We spent 3 months from May to July traveling the west coast and most of the tourist places were hard to get into with out booking ahead. A mate had to go on a waiting list for cancellations to secure a spot in Broome he had to plan his 3 month trip around Broome.
My advice if you really want to stay at Broome book ahead.
By the way as mentioned we stayed at Roebuck Bay CP for most of our stay and it was great water front possie we left and did a few days camping at Cape Leveque when we returned to Broome couldn't get into Roebuck Bay CP could only get a tent site at Broome Vacation Village be " BE AWARE " if you book at this park it is located at the pointy end of the junction of to main roads to the port area and the traffic noise/ trucks was terrible. 1 night was enough for us and several others.
Enjoy your trip

Barry
AnswerID: 481675

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:34

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:34
To give you some encouragement I have stayed at caravan parks in Broome for the last 10 years between July and Sept. on my way up and back to the N.Territory and have NEVER booked a site but have always got a powered site for a week or so.I am not saying it isn't real busy at that time but there are a few tricks to getting a site.Itravel in a camper trailer and will be up there again this year.I'll give you a clue--on site is much better than a phone call.
AnswerID: 481685

Reply By: Bravo Man - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 23:20

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 23:20
Hi there

I was up there Sept last year. I went to the visitor centre in town and they had a board out the front with what was available. There are 3 overflow camps in town during the peak season. Got into the PCYC ground easy and its a 3 minute walk to Roebuck Bay. It had good amenities but only limited power and shade. I had about 10 nights there and I recomend it.

Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 481691

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:02

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:02
We were last in Broome several years ago and after trying a couple of cv parks went to the visitor centre who told us to go to the PCYC. It was good and we managed to get a small space (with power) in the front section which gave us some shade.

Cheers,
Min
FollowupID: 757256

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 23:22
If you arrive without a booking, check with the visitor centre - they sometimes have overflow options available. I don't know for sure, but i suspect you could get in to the Roebuck Plains Roadhouse CP if all else fails until a vacancy occurred.

We do not book anywhere (perhaps a phone call the day before - but even that is rare) due to uncertain time frames and to allow complete flexibility In most places arriving in the morning after a few travellers have departed and get a vacancy - but we have not been to Broome for years.

There was a camping area at the bird observatory back then. I don't know if it is still available.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481692

Follow Up By: Wheretonext - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:58

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:58
Thanks Motherhen & Peter

Valuable information
Regards
FollowupID: 757023

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 13:54

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 13:54
We went there in late June and again in July last year. We did want to pre-book and be tired down to a certain date for June, so when we arrived in Broome we just rang some caravan parks and on the third call we found one. We also noticed that each day most caravan parks would have people leaving and the list of vacancies would be displayed. So it does depend on what time you arrive in town.
We then booked for our return trip in July and again when we came back there were vacancies in the morning. Some of the parks can be a bit rude and abrupt and some will not allow you to book ahead, but we found the one we stayed at, the Cable Beach Caravan Park, very helpful and pleasant. That park had 500 sites and averaged $50 a night! You do hear negative stories about Broome, but we loved the place and had a fantastic time and will be back. Kevin

I think we should not have told the them we only had a camper. Not the biggest site!

AnswerID: 481731

Reply By: RodnSue - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:19

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:19
Hi Wheretonext
We saw a thread on here early last year regarding checking with the Broome visitor info centre 1st. I can't find it now :(
We stayed in Broome for a week, 2nd wk August 2011. We don't pre book & called into visitor centre 1st .. before 10am... the info centre have a board outside the entry door & update each day around 10am .. as this is the check out time.
You choose a place to stay & make the ph call yourself.

There were several overflow parks (some closing around 3rd wk August as per regulations). We had a recommendation to stay at the pistol club... only $24/night for NO POWER (we have 3 roof top solar panels)
The pistol club had very friendly caretakers from SW WA but the ground is mostly dirt. Power is available, so is a small amenities block & laundry. For this low price you get to spend more $$ on other things around town :)

Power is limited in some of these overflow grounds & you may only get to use 240v for your lights .. NO aircon, jugs or toasters allowed - you should ask when calling them if you choose an overflow ground.
I suggest you do a search here for "Broome caravan parks" to see some more threads of what people like / dislike about Broome van parks

Hope this helps
hope you have a great & safe holiday
Sue
AnswerID: 481763

Reply By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:59

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:59
We did the Kimberley last June. We visited Broome before heading up toCape Leveque & again when we returned.

One Caravan Park we passed was full, so went around the corner to the Cable Beach Caravan Park. Although reasonably full, we easily found a site on both occasions without booking. First stay was 3 nights, & the 2nd stay was 2 nights.

I wouldn't rock in dinner time as the available sites are people leave before 11am. We usually booked in around 3pm and on both occasions we were given fantastic shady sites.

The main issue you may face is if you want an extended stay. The first booking we had, we couldn't have stayed another night (not that we wanted to) as it was booked.

Personally, we don't book anywhere. Our trips do not have a set itinerary. that's the way we like it.

Laurie
AnswerID: 481773

Sponsored Links