Light Force Spotties Stolen - Not bloody happy!

Submitted: Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 19:50
ThreadID: 92971 Views:3831 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Parked in a sercure yard ? with electric fence with key pad entry but gate does get left open through out the night, the lights were stolen over night i arrive back from the Mt and looked over and they were gone,as some people on here are aware this is the secound time some thing like this has happened to me and i'm just Gutted,i got this pair on the claim from before but it just makes you wounder is it worth havin good gear on your 4WD after this my answer is NOOOOOO ,could'nt be bothered now it does'nt make it any easier when your premiems are high due to the age of the 4WD{but thats all we could afford at the time to get us 4WDING was a Pajero} and the Accessories we have fitted in the past to set up the Paj for our liking so to me why bother,and thats the other thing at some stage i have to leave the Paj there again up to a week ,what am i going to be left with next time ,it just buggers thing up big time i'm so pised off.cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ModSquad - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 22:16

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 22:16
GD,

you might want to check your email please.

The Modsquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482201

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 00:56

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 00:56
Know how you feel and fully sympathise Greendog.

Got some much less ostentatious (ie less attractive to thieves) HID driving lights for a fraction of the cost of Lightforces. Absolutely the best lights I've ever driven with. Look here: http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/driving-lights/7007a/

Good luck,
AnswerID: 482213

Reply By: spak - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 06:24

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 06:24
GREENDOG, mate sorry to hear of your loss. It's a shame that people look at someone elses gear and think well if they can afford this one then they can afford to get a second one because I am taking this one............theiving little turds.

It also happened to an old boss of mine, he was in the council work car and went to a wedding and came out the next morning...lo and behold no spotties (these were lightforce 170's)

Greg
AnswerID: 482217

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:36

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:36
Maybe worth while to fit lock nuts. Will make it that little but harder to take them. I know, you shouldn't have to pay out for extra security, but there are scum every where.

Locknuts

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482219

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 21:25

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 21:25
Yeah, they are called a barrie nut I think, I have them on my spots. I have IPF 9000's never had to adjust them yet
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757520

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:35

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:35
I run thes lock nuts on my 240 Blitz, but they won't stop someone nicking the globe holder section or the reflectors.

So for that I put a weld dag on the end of the tilt adjusting bolt and screwed a small torx headed screw in from the underside (hidden) side of the reflector into the globe holder to stop it being able to be spun off.

Only problem is that it is a PITA if you want to adjust your reflector focus, but once set....you shouldn't have to adjust it anyway.

Sometimes the best fixes are the cheapest ones.

Fab.
FollowupID: 757858

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:00

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:00
My neighbour has a business and a little while ago, they had 6 sets of Lightforce lights lifted from their trucks. The replacements are now welded on. It will be harder next time.
AnswerID: 482223

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:09

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:09
Yeah mate sorry to hear you were the target of some scum bag too lazy to work for what he wants. A couple of guys that I knew who did FIFO and left cars in a "secure??" yard bought old cheap cars to leave while they were away because of this same problem. I think they even left the doors unlocked so that the low lifes didn't have to break the windows. Bloody shame we have to live like that but unfortunately it's only going to get worse until stiffer penalties are enforced. While this may not deter them at least it will take them off the streets for a longer time.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 482225

Reply By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 19:08

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 19:08
If I remember correctly last time Greendog, didnt they also break into the pajero as well last time ?? Not sure on the $$ side of things but is it worth buying yourself a $1000 sh#t box just to run to and from work, would possibly save it in fuel anyway ?? Im so jack of these low life oxygen wasting thieves who think they have the right to other peoples things. Shame some of these low life bludging scum dont get of there ar#e's and get a job instead of bludging all their lifes and flogging things that we all work hard to get. God help any low life SCUM that touches/floggs stuff of mine that I get hold of, be the last time their fingers will be working to touch anything........LOW LIFE OXYGEN WASTING SCUM IS WHAT THEY ARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 482259

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:00

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:00
Greendog, know just how you feel. Some years ago living in a small Western Qld town had some fitted to my 60 series - very proud of them. Went to the BIG smoke (Rockhampton) for a Conference for a few days. First night the whole Motel was done over by theives (only the vehicles) - broke in through the back window and stole stuff in the car, must have been interrupted with mine and didn't get much more than the shopping (that was bad enough). So when the Conference was over away home we went and the damned spotties didn't work. All the way home said dirty things about our local garage man who put them on - drove into town straight to the garage, didn't even get out the car and he was there at the window wanting to know what was wrong. So I told him and he just stood there laughing - so we got out and had a look - sure enough they just cut the wires and pulled them off. Turns out when we rang the MOtel - the thieves came back the second night and did over the cars again - this time they got me. (was more cranky about my $600 first aid kit with all my extras in it because I was an Honorary Ambulance person - and the new car set covers in the plastic and the girlie shopping, to be honest!)
I like the idea of the locknuts though - get sick of adjusting them. Think I can manage to do that.
AnswerID: 482277

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:52

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:52
We don't use lights any more as the current double standard set are amazing, but I would recommend to fit the barrie nuts shown above.

As well consider a wire stone guard with some wires sticking back around the lights with sharp ends. About $50 of materials and half an hour to make.

Its made from 1/4 inch steel rod and 10mm square chicken wire. It goes right across the car and fits on the outside of the bullbar. Not very strong but it was to stop them getting their actual hands on the lights to work on them. A few extra bits of wire sticking back from the guard would cut their hands up no end. The stone guard is now used to keep rocks and bugs off the front.

Phil
AnswerID: 482281

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 06:38

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 06:38
Haven't got around to it yet, thankfully in my near 50 ears, no trouble ever with cars or house being tampered with, may be a bit complacent.

Anyway, anything threaded like spotty bolts, you drill into the thread just below the nut, and put a pop rivet in (probably stainless or something is better).

If you ever need it off, just drill out.

Similarly, a single spot of MIG weld on nut to bolt can be hit with a grinder to remove, but may be damage if not very careful.

All you can do is make it hard for them, then they can move on, the bastards.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could live in this world without such worries ?
Put what they like on their 4bs, and not have to think about protecting it from some thieving mongrel.
You'd hope things are better out bush, but reading threads on various forums, even out in remote regions you have to be careful.

Sad.

Cheers,
Les
AnswerID: 482351

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:40

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:40
Secure yard with electric fence and keypad entry but the gate left open throughout the night = NOT secure at all is it ,, I'd be wanting my parking fee back from the owner of the 'secure' yard at the very least and reading the "fine print" of the contract to see if the owner of the 'secure [laughable] yard' is liable for reinbursement against damage and theft.
AnswerID: 482364

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:59

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:59
Good point Alloy, but bet the fine print will have it written some where nicely that they are not responsible for any damage or theft. In saying that I would still be chasing it but and find out WHY the gate wasnt shut especially if greendog paid for the parking ???.........................
FollowupID: 757659

Sponsored Links