Connie Sue, Neale Junction, Anne Beadell

Submitted: Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:04
ThreadID: 92973 Views:2656 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to head west in August with two Kimberly's (Landcruiser and a Prado) and a Trackmaster behind a Rodeo. Planning to head down the Great Central.

Any thoughts on whether the Rodeo/Trackmaster would be able to cope with a diversion off the Great Central down the Connie Sue to Neale Junction, then west along the Anne Beadell to Laverton?

Have any listeners done this section recently? Will do a final check at Warburton before heading down and if too bad will meet the Trackmaster at Laverton.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:22

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:22
The Connie Sue should be easily done with your campers although there are a few rough spots along the way. I'd suggest the Anne Beadell would be achievable as well with sensible driving to the conditions.

These may give you an idea.

Connie Sue day 1

Connie Sue through Neale Junction

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482196

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:38

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:38
Thanks Mick. Great shots and video. Connie Sue part looks to be ok with sensible driving. Still need to check at Warburton.

FollowupID: 757461

Reply By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:08

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:08
Hi mepvic, we drove through the ABH April last year, my Troopy and Tvan and our friends Patrol with custom home made Camper trailer. From Laverton through to roughly Sepentine Lakes there was the odd small washout, call Ilkulka to ensure you can get fuel. You will see some magic Desert scenery on the AB, it becomes more track like and a bit windy is SA and the corrugations from Emu through to Mabel Creek -ish were created by God when the Earth was formed, you have to slow right down and air down even more. Mrs Kanga wrote a blog on the trip last year, the ABH was up first, the blog is here at Exploroz under member blogs, Kanga1. Enjoy, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482224

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:38

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:38
Thanks Kanga, enjoyed the blog. Couple of questions for you.

Which way out of Laverton did you take. Great central Highway through Newberry then down to the AB on the Mt Shendon Rd, out the White Cliffs Rd. to the AB then down to Lake Rason, or did you take the Merola Rd out of Laverton and come into Lake Rason from the south?

Where is 7Millers Shack? On Lake Rason?

Where does the Spackman Track come in? Can't locate it on any of my maps

Thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 757497

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 21:21

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 21:21
mepvic, glad you had a read, we left Laverton South East on the Merolia Road, which goes through Burtville got onto the Haul road there (mining road, Lights on, Channel 40, 80 km speed limit) this Haul road sort of follows the Merolia road, stay on this to the Rason Lake road ( should be marked with a sign saying Tropicana, there are some drill rigs out at the East end of Lake Rason) we followed the Rason Lake road out to the 7Millers shack, I wanted to show Mrs Kanga where I excape to 3-4 times a year.
There are some very nice Breakaways on the 130km trip to the Shack from the Haul/Merolia rd intersection with the Rason Lake rd, there are also some supposedly extinct Stick nest Rats in some tough country about 100kms out and to the North.
The 7Millers shack is at the Westerm end of the Lake. Look for the mail box at 130kms East from Haul Rd intersection, you can't miss it. If you are travelling through there make sure you drive in and have a look, well worth it, The builders of the Shack have done a brilliant job of it and don't mind it being used, but NOT abused.
The Spackman track runs up the East side of the Dunes for that section of the Great Victoria Desert, Tropicana had a mining camp signposted at the intersection of the Rason Lake rd and Spackman Track ( I have heard it referred to as the Naries Point Track depending on who you talk to). After the Tropicana camp ( ask the guys at the camp where to go off their tracks to get back on to it, because they have put tracks in all over the place and getting back onto Spackman can be hit or miss.)
You will need a radiator blind for Spinifex on this track, it doesn't get used a lot and will clog up your cooling system PDQ. We followed it on up to where it joined the ABH approx 47kms West of Neale junction, and stayed on the ABH all the way to Coober Pedy doing a couple of side trips on the way. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757519

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 22:40

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 22:40
Thanks Kanga, great detail and looks like a great trip. We come over West a few times a year to see family and are a bit sick of the Nullarbor so might try that as a diversion one time. Will keep the info on file. 7Millers shack sounds interesting.

This trip will probably stick to the Connie Sue to Neale Junction then the AB through White Cliffs to Laverton.

Thanks again for the info.
FollowupID: 757525

Sponsored Links