Dual battery for Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 11, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 946 Views:4186 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i'm currently selling my 4wd (paj) and buying a prado. One of the first things I will do to it is have a dual battery system installed for running a 39L Engel. Can anyone please advise me on the cost of purchase and installation of a dual battery system. Also recommend what type of system i need to run the fridge for short camping trips, as i find this topic a little confusing. i already have a deep cycle battery.
Thanks,
Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob P - Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00
Wayne,

There are quite a few threads on Dual Batterys in this forum... simply do a search for "Prado" and you find some good info. I have a petrol, so this is what I found.

In a nutshell if you go to most off road aftermarket retailers, they have standard dual battery systems for the Prado that will set you back roughly $650-$750 depending on the type of isolator etc. Now these standard systems are great because they are repeatable for the installer, thus giving the installer no suprises as they work off a standard layout. The issue I found was that none of these systems catered for a large 12" deep cycle battery, because of the limited space in the bonnet. So in effect you get a dual battery system, but with only a standard 8" deep cycle .... I believe if you go to the trouble of putting in a dual battery, put the largest one you can fit, to get the maximum amp/hour capacity.

After a few quotes I decided to use my trusty local 4wd shop to do the install, I purchased a battery tray from Opposite Lock.

I had the standard cranking battery moved to the front passenger firewall position, then installed the 12" deep cycle where the original cranking battery was located.

I went for the Pirhana controller, with a battery tray from opposite lock for the cranking battery.
The cranking battery is relocated where the charcoal canister sits, the tray has mounting holes so the canister sits neatly on the tray... this is very neat. The tray for the deep cycle is just a normal heavy duty tray, which replaces the factory cranking tray.

Also make sure that the installer run at least two hot wires from the auxillary battery to the rear of the car. I opted for one dedicated to my Engel fridge and another general purpose marine plug.

This did take a bit of mucking around, but in the long run I have a system which now provides more capacity than a standard ARB etc type solution.

Hope this helps

AnswerID: 2768

Follow Up By: Wayne - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Rob,
Thanks heaps for the info, I have now purchased the prado and will start to ring around tommorrow re a dual battery system. Where did you get yours done? i live in western sydney, any suggestions as to where i should go? i have a 12" deep cycle battery already so this is what I want installed.
Does the - $650 - $750 inc the battery? will the fact my Prado is a Grande inc ABS effect the installation?
I just want a good job done and not get ripped off!
so many questions,sorry!
Wayne
FollowupID: 1247

Follow Up By: Rob P - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
Wayne,

I got it installed by a local 4wd shop (Duncans 4wd) here in Melbourne .... a bit far from Sydney !! I would suggest that you have a chat to the guys at Opposite
Lock, as this is where I sourced the battery tray from. I'm not sure about the layout of the Grande in terms of engine bay layout so those guys
should be able to assist there.

cheers
FollowupID: 1309

Reply By: cashy - Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00
Wayne, I own a 2.7L RV Prado and have mounted the second battery where the charcoal cannister was, i.e. where rob now has his starting batery. I used a Pirhana kit and it cost around $400 about 2 years ago. I installed it myself which saved on installation. I have the 8" deep cycle battery which lasts about 2 1/2 days with out starting the car. My 40L engel is run as a fridge at this. If it was run as a freezer the battery would have enough charge for about 24hrs. I got the kit form 4WD warehouse in Sydney. Hope this helps. Cashy
AnswerID: 2779

Sponsored Links