Ayres Rock and Alice Springs accommodation

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 20:14
ThreadID: 9474 Views:4507 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading to Ayres Rock and Alice Springs in July on a caravanning holiday. Is someone able to assist with recommending/suggesting caravan parks in either location that they have used and are happy to recommend.

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:35

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:35
Hi. GTee, Have been going to Alice for 20 odd years and usually stay at the Stuart C/Van Pk ,on Larapinta Drive, it is only 2 Ks from the town centre. When we used to go on trail bikes we always had a cabin & since in then in the van and tent. Have always found the price reasonable & showers etc clean. It is away from the "river tenants" as well.
Yulara is a rip-off but there isn't any where else to go. Hope you have a top trip. Des.
AnswerID: 41668

Reply By: Clarry - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:49

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:49
We just stayed at the MacDonnel Ranges CP (big show it is - just on the outskirts of the Alice, on the Adelaide road). Beautiful and clean - a real showcase for parks - not a weed, plenty of room, high standard of build and perfectly clean in all respects. VKS737 HF Network members get 10% off - other member set ups may get similar.
The Wintersun on the Darwin road is ok, but only $2 a night cheaper and nowhere near the same standard.
Re Yulara, possibly the best priced thing in town is the Caravan Park - there's only one, but it is not a rip-off and the standard is quite good. The only supermarket has a good range of wares and the prices are reasonable - if you like a drink TAKE EVERY DROP WITH YOU - drinks are a rip off up there ! Two years back, you could not buy a slab anywhere, and 6 packs were about double city prices. At the (only) pub, you have to experience the "happy hour" to believe it - how anybody could be expected to be happy with those prices beats me."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 41671

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:07

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:07
Gtee, I will second that response about the Mcdonnel Ranges CP, it is truly awesome. As said far enough out of Alice to be quiet and away from any undesirables, but just a five minute trip into everything. The wallabies come down from the ranges each afternoon beside the pool for feeding for a bit of entertainment. The park is huge, shady and grassed! Loved my time there.

Again as Stated Yulara is the only place to stay, but it was very accomodating to say the least, even in the Xmas holidays! Loved that pool!!!! The pub is the best place to meet, with combined outdoor dining to mix it up and some great entertainment too! Enjoy the stay!

Matt.
AnswerID: 41680

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:13

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:13
GTee,

No inkling about your question, but would like to let you know my appreciation that you referred to Ayres Rock as Ayres Rock - not some Uluru sh*t.

Regards,Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
AnswerID: 41693

Follow Up By: StephenF - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:48

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:48
I thought that all Australians would prefer the original Australian name to that of some obscure Pom government official.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 304152

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:15

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:15
Maybe, but I was under the impression that Ayres rock was named after the explorer that found it.
I can't stand this political correctness where is should be referred to by its aboriginal name.
They should just change the name of this country to something in the aboriginal language.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 304177

Follow Up By: chapo - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 19:07

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 19:07
Chris,the first European discoverer of the Rock was William Gosse and he named it after the then Governor of South Australia Henry Ayers so yes it is named after some pommie government official, give me Uluru any day!
FollowupID: 304195

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 13:35

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 13:35
Chris,
does it make you feel better to go around renaming everything in Australia after obscure English people that probably saw this country as a rubbish dump, or the 'Pacific Solution' of the 18th century? Whether its politically correct or not I prefer the Australian name every time.Bob
FollowupID: 304264

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:28

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:28
I guess you wouldn't be exploring this fine country if it wasn't for the pommes eh?

I did most of my schooling in the 80s and never heard the term, "uluru".
In history classes it was always referred to as Ayres rock. Same as for the better half who grew up in Victoria.
I'm pretty sure I didn't hear of Uluru until the early 90s.

If I wanted to rename "everything" I would have called Ayres Rock, Chris Rock.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 304279

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:23

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:23
Its actually Ayers rock, named by Sir Ernest Giles who looked at it in 1972 and decided that former South Oz Premier Sir Henry Ayers needed a rock named after him. Quaint eh! About 1985 it changedLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304368

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:24

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:24
Of course thatd be 1872Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304369

Reply By: GTee - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 17:26

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 17:26
Thanks DesF, Clarry and Matt M for your feedback. Will let you know how we went.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 41733

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:18
GTee,

We stayed at Mac RAnges in Alice. Very nice plenty on offer clean and tidy.

At Ayres Rock stayed at the Ayres Rock Resort campground and was less than impressed.

It was school hols and the place was packed. The mens amenities were barely sufficient and the ladies apparently not sufficient and at times dirty. The pool was small and crowded in October. Maybe in July it won't be too bad. There is really not much in the way of options though. If you do stay there don't let them stick you opposite the coach campgrounds. We had plenty of noise and no response from security. Eventually called the cops and they arrived at about 12:30am

When I complained to management I got the impression that the coaches were worth more moneey to them so theydidn't care.

I would seriously consider staying at Curtain Springs. It's a bit of a drive but lots cheaper and quiet.

Have a great trip
Duncs.
AnswerID: 41739

Follow Up By: GTee - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:40

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:40
Thank you for your detailed reply. How far is Curtain Springs?

GTee
FollowupID: 304192

Follow Up By: chapo - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:57

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:57
GTee, Curtain Springs is less than an hour away and is an excellant spot to stay.The camping area and amenities are not first class but the place has so much to offer that the stay is worth it.
The owner ,old Peter, is a great character and his band of workers are fantastic.I would recommend the sunset camel ride out to the red dunes towards Mt Connor, and a quad bike ride around the property.
Good bar facilities and you can have a huge breakfast in the kitchen with Peter and the rest of his workers. We loved it.
FollowupID: 304194

Follow Up By: bruce - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 20:43

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 20:43
Yep ..will 2nd the Curtain Springs option...was puoring rain when we stayed there and just a tad water logged ..but still much better than the rip off out further...basic facilities but for the price...who cares..not us anyway...cheers
FollowupID: 304202

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:41
Must agree with the Macdonnell Ranges CP, (Big 4 park). The facilities were first class, amenities clean and good entertainment most nights. Don't miss the free pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings. Also very convenient to town and secure.

As for Ayers Rock, We had a camper, so we were put out by the back fence. Quite a nice site, not far from an average to good amenities block, but, you would think with all the millions of acres they have empty out there, they could put the power plant a bit further away, or over a sand hill. It sounded like we were camped alongside Sydney international Airport all night. So much for the beauty of a quiet night in the outback. But no option, if you want to stay there. I preferred it back in 72, when you could camp by the Rock.

Happy trails, Mike,
AnswerID: 41876

Sponsored Links