Alice Springs to Gosford NSW the back way?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:13
ThreadID: 94776 Views:2959 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We are planning a trip to Alice Springs late April and would like to return to Gosford following the old Ghan Railway Via Chambers Pillar, Finke, Oodnadatta, Wiiliam Creek, Maree, Lyndhurst, Camerons Corner and Tibooburra.
We drive a GU Nissan Patrol and will be towing a Coromal Pioneer off Road camper. I would be thrilled if anyone could suggest must see places along the way to visit as well as reccomending good camping sites. (bush camping OK)
Would also be great if people could advise rough time frames travelling this way.

Thanks
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:39

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:39
have done most of those roads from the Gosford area and we also had a 421 Silhouette Pioneer but not at the same time. You'd have to go VERY gently to avoid damage. If yours is a similar camper, they have decent clearance but are heavy and have a fair few moving parts that would cop a bit of shaking about but if you have enough time to take it slowly, you'll be fine. I know I haven't fully answered your query but others will fill you in on that. Sounds like a great trip and a great time of year to go. Those areas are awesome.
AnswerID: 482621

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 20:10

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 20:10
Hi Chris,

Went north along the Ghan route in 09 and have written a blog about it here. Also last year went through Camerons Corner and down the Strzlecki Track and around the northern Flinders - blog here.

Some of the Central Oz roads can be quite corrugated, especially the road north from Finke that runs along the old Ghan track, so you would need to drive with care to avoid damage to your trailer. Its a wonderful trip though.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482626

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 07:49

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 07:49
You can camp at Chambers Pillar, Mt Dare, Coward Springs and Farina plus heaps of spots in between if you like. Arkaroola is nice too.
AnswerID: 482654

Reply By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:16
Cobes: quote "Gosford following the old Ghan Railway Via Chambers Pillar, Finke

This is used for the finke desert race & you might find this track very rough indeed .
but the old south road runs parallel . and plenty of camping spots ,should be able to find plenty of stories on this route if you search it .

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482709

Reply By: alang22 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:46

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:46
I drove from Alice back to Sydney in 2008 along pretty much your route until Lyndhust (I continued south and via Broken Hill/Wilcannia). But from Alice I followed the Old Ghan track to Finke, (I'd been to Chambers before) which was fast for the first 50km then much slower but perfectly safe and enjoyable and most interesting retracing that old historic rail track. Recommend you go via Mt Dare (fuel/supplies, park and camping passes) and Dalhousie Springs (camp there first night from Alice/Chambers). Have a swim at Dalhousie Springs before dawn and allow the dawn to unfold over you in the middle of a cold desert winter in beautifully warm spring water while the many many galahs and correllas serenade you - magical and memorable experience. Then very rough but safe 40km via the old Dalhousie ruins, Pederka railway ruins to the main road then to Oodnadatta and follow the Track all the way. I camped night 2 at Coward Springs which I'd also recommend (be early as spaces limited) - an old railway siding and a quaint old wood fired shower water heater. Quite a few old Ghan railway bridges en route which you should check out plus rail museums at Oodnadatta and Marree.
AnswerID: 482746

Sponsored Links