Min Min Light

I first heard of this phenomenon here of EO, and even while visiting the Min Min Experience at Boulia was still sceptical. However while researching and writing my travelogue i have found an explanation that i can believe.

Has anyone hear actually seen a Min Min Light? Sightings have been reliably reported from many parts of Australia, but more have come from the Channel Country than any other region. If you have really seen a genuine Min Min Light (not just a truck in the distance which can be seen many kilometres away) I would love to hear your story.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:29
Hello Motherhen.

Haven't seen a min min light myself but there are some accounts of this phenomina in the book 'Green Mountains' written by the O'Reilly family which traces there ancestors settlement of the hinterland behind which is now the Gold Coast. They were the first white settlers. O'Reilly's lookout is named after them.

The siting of something that sounds identical to the min min light was a common occurence by the O'Reillys.

Certainly is a fascinating subject. I hope that somebody comes through for you with a creditable account.

cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 482696

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:52

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:52
Hi Wayne

Similar phenomenon have been reported widely, including over land, the seashore and over water. In the channel country they appear year round, but occur more often in mid winter. That ties in with a first hand story from someone who lived in the region, here on a thread on a thread from 2005, having seen the light in the Longreach, Winton and Opalton areas. They also appear in fine weather, not cloudy or stormy weather. I feel the explanation i have been reading is very plausible and it is not a recent discovery and I had read of this theory some years ago. I am trying to reach the author to obtain permission to use the document.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757967

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:54

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:54
Hi Motherhen

I have seen it, camping outside Boulia one evening. At first I was also really skeptical, and spent a long time just putting it down to a road train somewhere off in the distance (not that I could hear one, or was near a road). After quite a while though I got up and tried (unsuccessfully) to get a closer look at it, and I am convinced it was the Min Min light. I have no explanation for how it occurred though I suspect it is something to do with the air and environment.

It was pretty amazing though, and I was really glad I got to see it.

Zook
AnswerID: 482707

Follow Up By: zook - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:59

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:59
Motherhen,

I should add it was the middle of winter (and freezing), and the evening started out fine (I could see the stars from my swag) but it started raining at about 2am. I remember this because it surprised me as it looked like there was no chance of rain coming in overnight and I hadn't set up for rain, so had to rush to set up a tarp to keep dry
FollowupID: 757976

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:18

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:18
How exciting Zook and thanks for sharing. Could i talk to you further about this please. I can be reached at motherhen @ australiasomuchtosee . com. Look forward to asking you a few more questions. It is certainly a very real occurence; lucky you to see it :)

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757981

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 22:55

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 22:55
Hi Zook - can you contact me on motherhen @ westnet . com . au please?

With thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758754

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:08

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:08
As a young bloke driving back across outback NSW towards Mildura in 1981 I encountered something that I could only attribute to being a Min Min light. It was about 2:00 a.m. on a very crisp winters night on One Tree Plain (Hay Plains). There was a very bright light that I at first thought was a semi but after 10 minutes it got no closer to me. I thought spot lighters, a station property and even Venus rising but it was none of those things. While it was bright, it wasn’t blinding. I stopped and watched it for about 20 minutes and it neither moved nor dimmed. It could have been 200 metres from me or 2 kilometres or further off, it was impossible to tell. Driving on, it disappeared as if someone had simply turned it off.

Eerie indeed but not frightening. While not in the vicinity of Boulia, it was a similar unexplained phenomena none the less.

P.S. I didn't drink back then either!

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482717

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:19

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 22:19
Thanks Mick and the clear winter night fits the picture. Reported sightings have been from all over the place, but the conditions in the channel country seem to be the most favourable. Most of us think of an obvious explanation, particularly when in populated areas where there are house and vehicle lights - so many more us may have seen these lights without realising.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757989

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 23:10

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 23:10
Motherhen, you have touched on something very fascinating to me, may I first say I'm very envious of those who have experienced this phenomena. I have been fascinated with the Min Min Light ever since I heard Slim Dusty sing the song of the same name so many years ago, I believe there is a phenomena out there, of what, I'm not sure having not seen it. However, I'm a bit of a skeptic with most things but for some reason I wanted to believe in the Min Min Light.
When we were in Boulia a couple of years ago I badly wanted to go through the Min Min Experience, we had bought the tickets etc only to find that we had to wait for a couple of hours before starting the tour, ( we hadn't been told there was a hold up) we had friends with us and we didn't want to hold them up so it went back on the bucket list.
It's amazing what indescribable things are out there, when I was still home on the farm we could sit outside on a cool crisp night and occasionally would hear a noise in the Ranges (Stirling), the noise I can best describe is like someone banging a sledge hammer on a large tyre but it seemed to echo through the hills. The Old Drovers at the time use to say the hills were haunted, now that I never believed.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482724

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 23:38

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 23:38
Hi Deanna

What a shame you had to miss the Min Min Experience. It is an unusual theatre which you are right there within; a very well made feature. From my research, this light occurrence is neither supernatural or that unusual; i am a sceptic no more. Mick's experience sounds typical.

If you want to read about documented strange occurrences, Strange Nation should keep you out of mischief on a rainy day or two.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757995

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 00:42

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 00:42
Thanks for the link, looks fantastic. It was disappointing to miss it, so near and yet so far but I'm hopeful that we will return.
As for keeping me out of mischief, that is not hard to do, we are so busy at the moment we don't even have time to think. LOL
Thanks again for the follow up.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757997

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:09

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:09
Couldn't help myself MH, read the story of the Min Min Light by the tanker driver, was a great story but not sure about the owl though, although it's feasible and could answer the reasoning of the child who chased the light in Slim Dusty's song.
If the owl explanation was correct, why wouldn't there be more sightings over the years as the owl population increased? Just my skepticism coming out here.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757998

Reply By: hopscotch - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:51

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:51
MH'

In May 1959 - long before forums etc - I was travelling with my sister and BIL from Darwin to Brisbane in an Austin A40. We left Mt Isa but because of the road conditions it was well and truely dark as we approached Kynuna.

As we proceeded slowly along a road of many tracks we all saw a light in the distance which appeared to be moving with a swinging action as a person walking with a lantern. You will appreciate that in this period it was common for people to move around with hurricane lights so we believed we were close to our destination. The light moved away as we thought we were getting nearer and then changed to a completely different spot on the scene and no human could have moved so quickly.

These lights followed/surrounded us for about an hour and during that period we did not see or hear any other traffic. Three very quiet people when we eventually reached Kynuna.

It quite disturbing as none of us had read or heard of the Min Min lights at that time and it was only later that we discovered what we had experienced.

In the period 1970 to 1976 I travelled extensively in western Queensland and saw the lights on at least three other occasions.

I offer no explanation.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 482730

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:46

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:46
Hi Kevin

Great recount of your experience, it is also a topic that has fascinated me also, and have read a couple of books on the topic. Must say I'm rather envious you got to travel around Outback Queensland in an Austin A40...

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 758012

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:39

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:39
Hi Kevin

I would love to talk to you more about this and your other sightings :) If you are willing, please email me on the address given in the opening post.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758020

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:23

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:23
We started opal mining 90 odd km. WNW of Eromanga in 1996.

One evening (after dark) I went around the back of the van for a wee and noticed a light travelling slowly through the scrub at what seemed to be about 3-400 m. distant.

I said to Chris (my wife) I did not realise there was someone camping so close to us. She thought it would be a planet low on the horizon, but it moved horizontally, not at any angle to the horizon.

The next morning I took a walk towards where I had seen the light shining, a flat area between fairly high breakaway mesa's.
No camp or sign of people but plenty of cattle sign (the station is a Brahman fattening holding).

Next time we were in town I mentioned this phenomenon to a mate at the pub who replied it was certainly a "min min".

Since then we have worked several leases in the area (between April/Sept.) and during the course of the season will often see these strange lights. Sometimes they are quite stationary until suddenly extinguished, other times moving along the scrub level and once one that "bobbed" up and down.

The most prolific was on a location between Quilpie and Eromanga where there was a 10km. clay pan in front of our camp. We have seen multiple ones here.

We have also seen a "UFO?", a bright yellow light with sparkly tail travelling horizontally at about 300ft. above ground level.

Unfortunately we are not much into taking photo's, so have no photographic record of any.
mike

AnswerID: 482736

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:42

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:42
Hi Mike

It certainly sounds authentic :) and thanks for sharing. Would you be willing to discuss this further? If so, please contact me by email from the address given.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758021

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:49

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:49
Motherhen

A great topic and thread, Iim also very interested in this occurence and have read a couple of books on the topic...

It will be interesting to see the accounts of people who have seen it, and I hope you post some of your findings...

Regards, The Landy
AnswerID: 482739

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:17

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:17
Hi The Landy

Have you read Maureen Kozicka's book "The Mystery of the Min Min Light" ? I haven't, but it is quoted as the best researched and most authoritative. I am so excited to read all the responses here, and they all sound like true reports of the Min Min phenomenon.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758038

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:46

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:46
Hi Motherhen

That is the book I have which is a great collection of stories, covering a wide area of northern Australia...

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 758143

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:56

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:56
She was a writer and investigator of the paranormal and Professor Pettigrew pays her credit her with the following statement.

Maureen Kozicka spent two years researching Min Mins before her untimely death and produced the only book devoted to the phenomenon. Although she interviewed many who had seen the light and spent much time in the Channel Country, Kozicka never saw the phenomenon herself and was not able to reach any firm conclusions about it.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758155

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:25

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:25
Motherhen,

In 1967, I was working on a station on the Diamantina, due east of Boulia, and we saw a min min light on a couple of occasions. It's too long ago to remember the exact details, but the "old" ringers(in their 40's & 50's) we were camped with, were quite blaise about them.........like they happened all the time.

After some rain in June, that winter was particularly cold, probably the coldest I've ever felt in that country, so the air would have been conducive to such "events".

Did see some min mins on the Barkly Tableland too, but later investigation proved them to be vehicles, on either the Barkly, or Tableland Highways. There was short article in either Outback, or Aussie Geographic, that gave an explanation for some min mins seen in WA.

It's an intrigruing subject, and one that adds to the outback's charm.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482742

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:27

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:27
Thanks for sharing Bob. While they have been seen all over the country, most reports are from the channel country and on clod clear nights. You are fortunate to have had such an experience.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758039

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:28

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:28
sorry, on COLD clear nights.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758040

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 22:56

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 22:56
Hi Bob - can you contact me on motherhen @ westnet . com . au please?

With thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758755

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02
I had an experience about 3 years ago whilst working at the Argyle Diamond Mine in the Kimberleys that was very strange. Whether it was a min min light or something else more "plausible" it mirrors some of the above experiences.

I was driving a Troopy at about 11.30pm from the Wandarrie construction campsite out to the airstrip that services the minesite to collect something I needed for the following morning. About a 30 minute drive. There is little to no traffic on this service road at this time of night which is why I found it very strange when a very bright light seemed to appear out of nowhere and start behaving erratically behind me. The best way I could describe it would be like a motorbike being behind me and zig zagging as if impatient and waiting to pass but the light was too high to realistically be a bike. I was trying to see if it was a vehicle with only one headlight operational but between trying to keep my eye on the road and figure out what was behind me in the rear vision mirror it completely disappeared. The spooky thing was it happened on a stretch of road where there is nowhere to turn off so if it was a vehicle they would have had to switch their lights off and pull over.

To this day I don't know what it was and I'm not saying it was a min min light but it was very very strange!
AnswerID: 482747

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:33

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:33
Hi Cruiser and thanks for contributing. Due to the terrain of the Argyle area, was it possible that the light was in fact far away? A distance will make something appear to be following you, like smoke on the horizon when you are driving that seems close, but the fact it keeps pace with you proves it is far away. If close, you just drive straight past it. The following aspect is common with Min Mins. Most Min Min reports are in flat open areas.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758041

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 17:07
Hi Mh,

It really is difficult to say. The only light that would be visible from where I saw it would be from the gatehouse back at the camp but as I had travelled quite a distance I can't see how that could still be visible. It also doesn't explain it's erratic movements. Also, although the terrain in that area is generally quite rugged this particular stretch is very flat and open and the light seemed very close......like a giant motorbike right up my a** with it's brights on. I was very tired that night though as had worked 3 x 18 hour days in a row. Maybe I was seeing things! It definitely gave me the creeps at the time, I remember that much!
FollowupID: 758051

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 17:16

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 17:16
Thanks Cruiser; your description does fit the pattern of a Min Min Light. If it was, they have the effect of appearing at about 200 - 400 metres from you when in fact they are on the distant horizon, hence the question about flat open country. The distance gives the appearance of movement and following.Well that's my theory anyway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758052

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 13:52

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 13:52
Sometime around 1970 I was travelling on a station track on one of the most northern Willandra Lakes, S.E. of Pooncarie, S.W.- N.S.W. accompanied by the station owner.

We both saw a constant white light off to our left, and though we were not travelling fast it maintained our speed. When we stopped, it stopped.

I thought for a while that I was a motor vehicle following us on an adjacent track, but my companion said that no tracks existed in that area, other than the one we were on.

I stopped the vehicle and we both got out and walked towards the light, it maintained it's distance, and we couildn't reach the source. There was no sound, and though the night was clear, I don't recall wether it was hot or cold. It certainly wasn't raining as the far west of NSW was in a serious drought at that time.

We both started to get the wind up and decided to head back to the homestead. Afterwards over a couple of beers the grazier told me that he had seen a similar phenomenon some years previous.

The following day we returned in daylight to where were saw it. We could see our wheel tracks and footmarks, and we walked the ground. There was no sign of any vehicle tracks, and as the lakkbed was rough ground I doubt if anyone would have driven over it. So that discounted a shooter who was trespassing.

At that time N.A.S.A. was conducting high altitude experiments out of Mildura Airport, some 70 miles south of where we were. There was a good deal of reported UFO activity in the district at the time, though I never saw anything even though I did a lot of night driving.

During my lifetime I've seen three UFO's. The first was when I a kid of 5 at Tathra, and one flew over me in broad daylight (circa 1950), on the way home from school. The other was some years later at Wagstaff, when riding home from a P.E. session with other kids around 8.30pm, we saw lights flashing across a part of the sky. The the last one was at Kempsey and my wife & I were driving home near Aldavilla, when we saw for a few seconds a dull object flying north that left a white trail. It wasn't an aircraft because it was going much too fast, there were no navigation lights, and at night aircraft don't glow.

So there you go.

AnswerID: 482760

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:13

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:13
Fantastic report Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758037

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:10

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:10
I had the experience of a Min Min Light driving a truck late one winters evening on the Normanton to Cloncurry Road. It was first spotted just after hitting the plains out of Normanton and remained in the far distance to the south west of the road until we hit the hills nearer to Cloncurry. That was for well over 2hrs of driving. My passenger and I tried to come up with numerous what could/how could it be? In the end we just put it down to a possible Min Min.

I enjoyed the Min Min show at Boulia very much, they did a real good job of explaining the experience.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 482766

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:13

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:13
Forgot to say it would have been around 1989.
FollowupID: 758045

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:38

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:38
Thanks for a great description Tony. The following over that distance aspect certainly is a Min Min characteristic. My explanation is that the light is on the horizon but appears closer, and i have made a 'smoke on the horizon' analogy in a previous reply here.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758046

Reply By: Teejay - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:29

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:29
Hi Motherhen,

in about 2003 myself and a mate were driving around a station south of Cobar shooting Foxes and saw strange light that sat on the horizon and wobbled about for a good 15 minutes. All of this time we drove towards it but it disappeared. .We were driving south so we put it down to the aroura australis. I must admit we were a bit spooked by it and headed back to camp soon after.

When we arrived home days later I went about researching what we had seen. I believe these lights are a Fata Morgana. This is when light is refracted over the horizon due to particular climatic conditions and is a type of mirage. Nothing like a good story to boost tourism in outback towns though.

I think the best reference that explains these "Min Min Lights is here.

TJ..

AnswerID: 482788

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:47

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:47
Hi TJ

Thanks for your reply. I too am a believer in the Fata Morgana theory. Would you like to contact me directly to talk more about your sighting?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758063

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 23:03
Hi TJ

Can you contact me on motherhen @ westnet . com . au please?

With thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758757

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:51

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:51
Thanks to all who have contributed, this has been a great thread. To those who haven't, keep them coming. My search on EO yesterday brought out only a couple of real first hand reports of sighting. The response here has been fantastic. I wish i could have been as lucky and seen a Miin Min Light.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482791

Follow Up By: Teejay - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:32
Happy to discuss further.
FollowupID: 758068

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:00

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:00
Thanks TJ - like to email me? Address given on an earlier reply.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758080

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:48

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:48
Hi MH

Very interesting that Fata Morgana has been postulated. We actually saw one of these last year here during the day, of parts of Curtis Island, including the lighthouse. Normally we cannot see these sections, as they are below the horizon, but on this day there had been a strong cold change, and there on the horizon were very strange shapes, often something like mushrooms. You could see these with the naked eye, but much better with binoculars. The effect lasted all afternoon and into the night, as we could see the flashes from the lighthouse after dark (the distance is about 70km, I think).
Certainly what we saw matched the description and pictures for Fata Morgana given on the internet, with multiple images, some upside down, stacked on top of each other.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers, John

AnswerID: 482798

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:07

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:07
Hi John

I too have seen 'hills from over the horizon' on a number of occasions, particularly when over water, and the way they change shape and even lift above the horizon leaving a gap is fascinating. It is all the more obvious if it is somewhere you are familiar with - otherwise if just driving through, we do not know that the distant hills are not always visible. It certainly makes a lot of sense as the explanation of the Min Min Lights.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758081

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 01:28

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 01:28
spent plenty of nights out in remote bush
- never seen or heard anything that wasnt easily explained

closest ive got is rising moons mostly obscured by vegetation - can look pretty suss until you work it out

Fox Mulder may want to believe and as a kid i read everything i could find on phenomanons of varies natures but now im over 40 i realise
if i was going to see it i would have by now

these people are out there... ive had 2 people say a house i lived at was haunted... (both females and very strange)

dont worry that i lived there for over 5 years often by myself and the closest i got to a haunting was a 2 on the richter scale at 2.00am one morning
AnswerID: 482818

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 01:31

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 01:31
should also had ive met plenty of people that have seen a min min and a huge cat closely followed up by death adders that can jump

apparantly your not an australian if you havnt seen one or the other
FollowupID: 758086

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:46

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:46
Motherhen,
around 1968 or 1969 around 2 in the morning we was travelling south between Moonie and Goondiwindi. I do remember it was a freezing night and very clear.

A light appeared to our right travelling close and horizontal to the ground. It moved slowly across our path and then out to our left where it eventually disappeared. This took around 5 minutes and we never seemed to get closer to it.

The first reaction from the person I was travelling with was " That must be Howard Sparks or roo shooters". Then the words. "No it can't be Howard as we aren't up to his property yet. There were no breaks in the fences or gates in that section of road.

Even if there had been the light just kept up a steady pace so it was not a vehicle.

I haven no explanation for what both of us saw and I never really considered it to be a min min light due to where it happened.

RA.
AnswerID: 482824

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:40

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:40
Thanks for sharing your experience Rockape

From your description of the conditions that night and the behaviour of the light, it fits the pattern of a Min Min. They have been reported from all parts of the country, not just the channel country. How open was the terrain and vegetation in the area? I have travelled between Goondiwindi and Moonie, but as we were heading to buy our caravan and were travelling in excess of 1,000 kilometres a day, not everything was taken in.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758102

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:03

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:03
Mh,
where we were on the old Weir highway now the Leichhardt highway it was flat cypress sand country that had been cleared. The country is flat with few trees where we saw the light and from memory it was about 5 mile south of Moonie.

That country has it all from black soil brigalow, cypress pine sand that is like surfers paradise beach, grey box loams and ironbark .

The whole road is basically flat with the odd ironbark ridge and one jump up between Moonie and Gundi.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 758105

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:07

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:07
Real EncounterGreat Story here..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeyYsVp-5Oc

Paddy's Lantern or Min Min Light...
AnswerID: 482841

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:07
We can't say for sure if it was a Min Min but its the only explanation that we could come up with at the time. We were camped at the Old Andado Homestead and were the only people there at the time apart from the caretakers. It was a cool, clear night in July 2008. We were sitting with out backs to the campfire and facing the sandhill opposite the homestead when we saw a light 'bouncing' along on the side of the sandridge. We thought it was the caretaker walking the dog while wearing a 'headlight' as that was about the size of it. When we mentioned it to him the next morning he said he had seen it regularly but was not him. We even checked the hill for footprints and found nothing. So, we put it down to the Min Min.
AnswerID: 482889

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:59

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:59
Hi N & G

Thanks for adding your Min Min sighting report.

Can you guesstimate how far from you the light appeared to be? So not a very large or bright light?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758149

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:19

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:19
I've spent a lot of time on lonely country roads, but not much of it in QLD. I've heard of Min Min lights, but never seen anything like the above descriptions in my travels.

However - late one night in 1992, I was travelling to Cue from Perth, up the Gt Northen Hwy in my near-new Landcruiser wagon.
I was travelling alone, and it was about 11:00PM on a cold clear night, with little traffic. Maybe an oncoming vehicle about every 15 or 20 mins.

You could see the oncoming vehicles from kms away, with lights on high beam, that then dipped to low beam as they got closer.

I was well North of Wubin, and probably a little over halfway to Paynes Find at this time.
The countryside is relatively flat, lightly vegetated with low, thick scrubby bushes, mulga and other small scattered trees.

The road was empty for maybe 15 mins, when I suddenly spotted what appeared to be a set of headlights approaching, from about 5kms away, I'd guess.
I was a little surprised, as these "headlights" seemed to appear out of nowhere - there was no earlier indication of them coming towards me on high beam over the horizon, or around a corner.

The lights just suddenly appeared in the distance - and they were relatively dull, like an old VW Beetle with 6 volt lights on low beam.
In fact, that's what I thought it was - someone way out in the boondocks with an old Beetle - and I started wondering why they would be way out there at this hour of the night.
I remember thinking, "Ahh, well, there's always someone roaming around in outback locations with ancient vehicles."

The "headlights" got closer and closer and never altered from their dull light appearance.
I was waiting eagerly for them to pass, so I could try and see what kind of ancient bomb was travelling along the Hwy at this hour of night.

Suddenly, within a 2-second time span, the lights just appeared to turn left off the highway about a km away - and they disappeared.
The turn was executed so fast, it was amazing to see. The lights seemed to virtually go out as they turned.
I was truly puzzled by now. I would have expected to see the lights travelling away from the highway on my right, after they executed a sharp left turn, as they appeared to have done.
The scrub and trees were low enough to allow me to see a vehicle travelling on any road that joined the highway.

I was totally curious by now, and started slowing down to find the road where these "headlights" had turned off.
I slowed down to 20 kmh and travelled about 2kms at that speed, looking carefully at the side of the road, illuminated in the high beams and my dual spotlights. There was no side road. There was just solid scrub.

I turned around and went back. Surely, I'd see dust drifting at least, from any vehicle that had left the highway for a side road. There was no dust.
I went back at least 3kms, and there was nothing. No side road, no laybys, nothing where any vehicle could have turned off.

There were no lights of any type to be seen, no dust, no movement. I turned off the Landcruiser and listened. There was not a sound to be heard.

I drove off and continued my journey, completely mystified. I told some mates later, and they laughed and said things like - "Oh, yes - ole Phantom 309!!"
These lights weren't high enough to be truck lights, they were very low to the road, about the height of an old Beetles lights.
I don't know what I saw that night, and I've spent a lot of nights in the lonely Australian bush, often by myself. I've never seen anything like these lights, before or since.
AnswerID: 483025

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 21:39

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 21:39
Hi Rod and thanks for sharing your sighting. Unless we take the trouble like you did to ascertain it couldn't have been a car, we would just dismiss it as a car in the distance that turned off somewhere. I would like the opportunity to talk to you further about this and i can be reached on the email address given in an earlier reply. The response on this thread has been amazing :)

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 758244

Sponsored Links