Various camping sites

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:14
ThreadID: 94815 Views:1887 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi members

Just wondering what the camping sites & facilities

are like at Palmer River Roadhouse, Musgrave Roadhouse & Archer River roadhouse?

Anyone stayed there recently? What are they like?

Also, is it better to stay at the Bramwell Junction or at the Bramwell Station?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:27

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:27
G'day Robin G2
Seeing this is a forum and you are asking for information, some people will know about the places you mention and can reply.
Many who read the post, "Various camping sites" will also be interested but you didn't mention the state or territory concerned and if they are trying to find these, something like, NE or South would also help prospective travellers.
Sometimes the reader is a friends of folk who have been there and can shed also some light on the subject for you.
All for the greater good, be more specific/informative if you can please.

Ross M
AnswerID: 482778

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:24

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:24
Thanks Ross for the advice, appreciate it as I'm only new to all this.

The camping sites I mentioned are all located on the way from Cairns to Cape York
North Qld.

Thanks again,
FollowupID: 758059

Reply By: Wheretonext - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:44

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:44
Hi
Stayed at Bramwell station 2 years ago. Nice bar and Carmel does an informative talk.
Stayed at Musgrave on the way back. Small camping area but clean amenities.
Stopped at Palmer River on the way back but didn't camp. Best steak sandwich and facilities looked good. Cheers
AnswerID: 482780

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:25

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:25
Wheretonext: Thanks for the info - very helpful.
FollowupID: 758061

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:58

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:58
Hello Robin G2
We stayed at both Musgrave and Archer River roadhouses last August and found both to be more than satisfactory with clean amenities and good grass sites. We chose to stay at Bramwell Station and were most impressed with the facilities and we enjoyed a lovely meal at their outdoor restaurant. It was a simple meal but it was good not to have to cook! When we commenced the OTT we saw the camping facility at Bramwell Roadhouse and it too looked like a reasonable camping ground. We have not stayed at Palm River Roadhouse. All in all we were most impressed with the camping areas available during our four week visit to Cape York. Enjoy your planning and your travels.
Peter and Gill
AnswerID: 482792

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:07

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:07
Gill& Peter, thanks very much for all the info. Our planning is made so much easier with the help we receive from members like you. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 758064

Reply By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:05
Hi Robin, we stayed at Bramwell Junction and Palmer River last year and bush spots I can't remember, Bramwell Junction is a nice spot right at the Southern end of the Telegraph Track, facilities were OK and the people that were running it Jaime and his Wife were really nice people, great to talk to, another advantage is you will probably see some of the rolling wounded as they come out of Palm Creek crossing and get some first hand info on the OTT conditions if you plan to drive it on your way up. Palmer River is a great spot and the facilities fine. Hope this helps, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482794

Reply By: Frances - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:17

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:17
I think they are all pretty much the same. We bought all our groceries at Cooktown which was prudent and along the way we bought some fantastic hamburgers at most of these places. But if there wasn't much on offer we delved into our supplies and then replenished them at Seisia.

If you don't expect much then you will be pleasantly surprised everywhere up there!
AnswerID: 482802

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:24

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:24
Archer Roadhouse camping grounds can be packed in season with consequent strain on facilities. Read "lining up for the loo". Push on 60 km to Coen and Charlie's Mine past the town tip. Clean and cheap and an education too! Google it or refer to this old thread for more info and pix. Charlie's Mine
I think he's taken his "4 U 2 C" signs down but he won't knock back visitors.
AnswerID: 482804

Sponsored Links