Leak from LC100 subtank filler/breather assembly

I have just had a LongRanger 180L tank fitted to my Diesel LC100, and have filled it for the first time today. Unfortunately I have a leak - but not from the tank itself.
The leak appears to be weeping from the point indicated in the attached picture, on the filler/breather assembly.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

This post (nipple?) moves slightly when touched, and it is from the base of this that the weeping seems to be originating. The result is a slow drip of fuel down the side of the tank and resultant puddle.

Anyone know what this part of the assembly is, and is it safe to simply goop this in a diesel resistant sealant to plug the leak? I can't find any information on this assembly, other than it is part of the OEM subtank.

Cheers,
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:55

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:55
So the tank was not filled and leak tested by the installer.......HMMMM.

That nipple is not a bung it is a nipple on the rubber gasget that holds it onto the plate that it is associated with.

very much doubt that it is leaking out of that nipple it just shows as if it is.

the gasget needs to be checked for servicability and correct fit.

also note that the hoses do not look quite right, the large filler hose should not be kinked and distorted in du=iameter and the fill breather hose the small one is also bent too tightly and is compressed in cross section.

Not only will this present a dirability issue but it will also effect how smoothly the tank fills.

cheers
AnswerID: 483092

Follow Up By: Member - geodementia - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:30

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:30
Thanks - that makes sense now, it's a locating 'pin' for the gasket beneath.

After another look it does seem that is it likely to be the gasket, so I guess I'll be taking it back to get looked at next week.

Cheers,
Geoff
FollowupID: 758318

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:59

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:59
I also have a LongRanger 180 litre tank fitted to the Troopy.

I understood that it is a requirement to have this modification subjected to an Automotive Engineer for a Compliance Plate to be issued and that part of this inspection required the tank to be filled in order to check for leaks.

In any case, the business that fitted your tank has an obligation to correct the fault if there are any leaks evident. There was a leak on one of my hoses but it was detected and corrected before delivery. I would be referring this back to the supplier/fitter and not be attempting repair yourself...... that would be inviting warranty problems.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483100

Follow Up By: Member - geodementia - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:34

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 17:34
Thanks Allen,

I had the tank fitted by one of the local 4x4 outlets here in Alice after I got it freighted up from Adelaide. Their 'warranty' only covers the installation, so this would seem to be covered (I hope).

I'll see if I can get it back to them to check out during the week. Might need to go for a long drive tomorrow to drop the fuel level below the leak until I can get it checked....

Cheers,
Geoff
FollowupID: 758321

Sponsored Links