water availability on the Gibb river Rd.

Hi All,
We are now 5 weeks into our round Australia trip and loving every minute of it except perhaps the people with generators who think it is ok to place the generator behind their van facing your camper trailer or the people who leave behind their toilet paper and rubbish in our beautiful countryside! However just wanted to ask if others know if we can top up our water tank along the Gibb River Rd anywhere? We are carrying 120L but may wish to hang around there for about 3 weeks so may need to get some more drums or be able to fill up somewhere. I have bought baby wipes to save using the water for personal hygiene and keep it for drinking.
Thanks, Carreen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Broodie H3 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:22

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:22
It has been a lot of years since I have been up that way, 1979 in fact but I found that you could get water from a couple of the stations back then, I lived in Wyndham at the time and the Gibb wa my favourite weekend away back then, but I believe a lot has changed since then, any way we'll find out in a couple of months when we head off for a couple of months, no sleeping bags and stars this time, just us and our old Roadstar. ggod luck you'll enjoy the fantastic country up there
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483580

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:44

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:44
Hi Carreen,

You should have no trouble accessing river water along the GRR, and if you stay at the stations you will be able to get drinking water there, as well as probably at the roadhouses. You may need to get a separate container so you can keep drinking and other water separate - good practice anyway.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483584

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 08:33

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 08:33
We spent 9 weeks on the Gibb last year (June/July/August) and never had a problem with water. We could have spent a lot more time, just so much to see and do, absolutely loved the place! If time is not an issue for you, try and take your time and do it all. The Gibb is about 640 k's long, we did just over 3,000 k's. Which direction are you travelling the Gibb and when do you hope to start? We went from Derby to Kununurra. Kevin
AnswerID: 483613

Follow Up By: Carreen - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:01

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:01
Hi Kevin, Thanks for that, we are going from Derby and will probably get up there mid may. We are trying to ensure the road the the Mitcher Plateau will be open.
Carreen
FollowupID: 758957

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 15:31

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 15:31
You will need to stay at some of the stations that offer camping - just because there are now very few places where you can camp independently. Past travellers messed that up for those who come now, as you are noticing. At those camps, you will be able to access water, though it is probably best to boil it before drinking. You will also be able to shower and/or swim at most. We have never worried about carrying lots of water in that area, just because there is so much around.
You will find that the camp areas are relatively expensive - they only have a short tourist season in which to make money to justify their outlay. There is a little booklet, updated just before each season, available from the Derby and Kununurra Info Centres. It gives all details about where fuel and supplies are available, and where you can stay. These things change from year to year, so it is worth seeking it out. It used to cost $2 but may be a bit more now.
It is very easy to spend two months, at least, along the Gibb and its offshoots to the south (Mornington) and north (Kalumburu area, Mitchell Plateau). Our two most recent trips there were 12 and 8 weeks, respectively. I could easily spend another few months revisiting it all!
AnswerID: 483665

Follow Up By: Carreen - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:04

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:04
Thanks Wendy, we will certainly look at getting that handy book. We have no idea how long we will be on the Gibb as we have no real time frame, I suppose it depends how, long it takes us to get there to begin as we are just wandering up the coast.
Carreen
FollowupID: 758959

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:34

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:34
Carreen, if you want a very nice free camp spot after you do Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek, look for the May River turn off. Fantastic spot right on the river. The books will say it is only day camping, but there were a few caravans there when we were there and they spoke to some workers on the property and they said it was OK, as long as people look after the place.
The road to Mitchell Falls opened about mid June last year as it was a late wet season.
Kevin

AnswerID: 483722

Follow Up By: Carreen - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 21:07

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 21:07
Thanks Kevin, will do!
Carreen
FollowupID: 759067

Sponsored Links