Nepabunna Aboriginal land Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 21:51
ThreadID: 95032 Views:2306 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading of to the Simpson Desert E to W in May this year and we are looking to come back through the Flinders Ranges. We plan on a Left turn before Leigh Creek at Copley and heading towards Angepena then left onto a 4x4 track around the Gamimon Ranges National Park to Arkaroola.

From what I can see on the map the track is on Nepabunna Aboriginal Land. Does any one know if a permit is needed or who to contact to find out the information. ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 22:59

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 22:59
Hi Vern & Leanne,
Looks like a interesting drive have never heard of any permits for up that way but I would suggest contacting Mt Serle station as they could put you on the right track, sorry don't have a contact number for them.
Like to know how the trip goes.
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 483708

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:47

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:47
No Vern, all good to drive through without a permit mate.

Been a while since I drove through there on the way to the gammons, sort of recall just a small township, maybe a few hundred metres of buildings.
AnswerID: 483781

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:11

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:11
Listen Vern, I really have to apologise mate, I only realised later after I posted of the track you meant !!
I was thinking just hte main road through Nepabunna.

Ok, I too am interested in this, as I bushwalked Angepena to Arkaroola through that way in, oh around late 90's.
We headed up under Arcoona Bluff to Mainwater Well, and into Ark from the west too.

I have emailed Doug Sprigg at Ark, and the Aboriginal contact for Angepena / Mt Serle, so should get a reply with confirmation soon I hope.

I will relay info here and any contact info that may be needed.

I have a gut feeling that you can access ok, but best to be sure.

Kevin S QLD, did you just drive the main secondary road?

Here's Bonzle map, the track Vern was asking about is just west of Angepena and goes north.
http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&cmd=sp&p=242996&st=&s=angepena

Cheers,
Les
FollowupID: 759080

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 00:05

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 00:05
Hi Les,
I am are very interested in that track should be up that way later in the week but won't try it this trip.
Would like to hear back from you thanks in anticipation.

Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 759144

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:50

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:50
Vern & Leanne. We were through that area on 2010. We went from Wilpena to Arkaroola via Chambers Gorge and then out to Copley via Inga Werta. No need of permits and national park access is free. Roads were quite good.
You could call for further information on 08 8648 4829
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483783

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:43

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 17:43
Ok, got a reply form Doug Sprigg.

"The track in from Angepena via Oweandana Outstation on Yankanina, via the Yankanina Homestead and Umberatana to Wheal Turner Mine and on to Arkaroola is drivable and open to the public. It is not a fast track, a friend recently came through that way and it took him about 3 hours. Out to Umberatana the road isn’t bad but it has ruts and bits to go around in the latter stages."

So all good : )
AnswerID: 484555

Follow Up By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:30

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:30
Thanks heaps for the information, really looking forward to that part of the trip.

Cheers and thanks
FollowupID: 759844

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:58
Vern & Les,
Thanks for that info. We have just returned from there and it seems that there is some 4wd tracks opening up or opened up on Nantawarrinna, we went in from the Nepabunna side past the camel yards to a sign that had a number on to contact for further entry, wrote it down, maybe Les knows more about it. Just as a side we spent most of today on the Stirrup Range 4wd track on Mulga View fantastic trip.
Sorry about using your thread Vern and thanks again for the information Les.

Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 759850

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:38

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:38
No probs fellas . . . Vern I reckon you could find some interesting sights on the drive through too, old infrastructure etc. Enjoy the trip.

Graham, not sure about Nantawarrina area tracks . . . when we walked north to Angepena years ago, we obviously went to the land west of there . . . but a quick Google found quite a bit of info inc Nepabunna website with info, see para 2 on the faq . . . http://www.nepabunnatourism.com.au/faq.php

They mention phone 8648 3764 for more info, same as the one you took down ?

Found this great map too . . . http://www.hawkervic.info/Flinders%20Ranges.pdf

Cheers, enjoy the travels up there.
FollowupID: 759870

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:24

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:24
Thanks Les that is the phone number they also had contact them on UHF Ch 2 but it was Sunday and we received no reply. Will look up those web sites.
Thanks
Graham
FollowupID: 759872

Sponsored Links