Ideas for camping spots shark Denham/Monkey Mia

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:35
ThreadID: 95042 Views:5025 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We would love some advice. We are currently at Kalbarri heading towards Monkey Mia. We are towing a 22 foot standard Jayco caravan. Any advice of where to stay would be really appreciated. We are interested in staying about a week in the area. Our preference is to free camp or use the smaller and therefore cheaper caravan parks if possible. Many thanks for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:26

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:26
I would thouroughly recommend calling in at the Historic Telegraph station at Hamlin Pool (drive the 27km of sealed road from the North West Coastal Highway and turn right at the signs for the last 5km to the Old Telegraph Station)

Nice camping area (grassed) and access to the Stromatolites nearby

Say Hi to Trish (owner) from me :-)
AnswerID: 483737

Follow Up By: Iain M - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 17:06

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 17:06
Once you unhitch the van there is a great sand drive up to Cape Peron (drop the tyre pressures as it can be a bit soft), we had the most brilliant night sky camping at Gregories Camp, the sunset over the water was something to see.
If you can camp away from the van it is a great place to explore and spend a few days.
Cheers
FollowupID: 759031

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:33

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:33
There are a number of beachside free camps on the way in to Denham BUT you need to book them, by going to the tourist centre in Denham (there are signs along the road as you go in but not much phone signal). Overnighters only and there is a ranger who comes round to check, so be warned!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483739

Follow Up By: caseh - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:38

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:38
The Beachside free camps that John and Val refer to are very nice. However!
you cannot book them. You can only book one! If you get permission to camp at your nominated site they won't give you permission to stay at any of the others. Last August we utilised one of the free camps and found out that this was the rule.
Others around us never made any bookings and just helped themselves. No rangers.
Ok, they broke the rules but by registering like we did, we did make a rod for our own backs. So after one night we had to move on.

cheers, Case
FollowupID: 759010

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:36

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:36
Kiwibound - It's a pretty barren drive from Kalbarri to the Overlander Roadhouse, so don't expect too much. The Geraldine Lead mine is worth a visit - very old, and the site of W.A.'s first mining venture. Also the proposed site of the use of Australia's first road train (in 1858) - a Bray steam traction engine with three trailers.

The Bray was unloaded at Port Gregory but it immediately became bogged in the sand dunes and was promptly abandoned.
See "Pioneer of the Road" by John Clydesdale, for more intensive info on this mine and this amazing engine.

http://www.exploroz.com/Places/78633/WA/Geraldine_Lead_Mine_Townsite.aspx

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483740

Reply By: Wayne david - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:08

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:08
We were there about this time last year and personally found the whole free camping idea in that area just too much of a PITA for it to be workable for us.

I'm with Kiwi angler on the Hamlin Pool Roadhouse CP option. Their facilities are really first rate, the guys that run it are helpful, friendly & efficient hosts, they have a wonderful beer o'clock organised each afternoon, and the camping sites can be right alongside the wash house block or way off in the distance if that's your taste.

We found it to be an ideal oasis to return home to each afternoon after exploring the area. I believe their number is 08 99425905.

Cheers - Wayne D
AnswerID: 483742

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:42

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 13:42
Hi Gill and Peter. Can highly recommend Haemlin Station, just before Hamelin Pool CP. It is a working cattle station and from memory the rates are reasonable. They have one of the best amenities blocks we have seen and you have use of a full size kitchen and dining room. The sign on the highway says "Tent Camping" but they do cater for vans. It's worth a drive in to have a look and there is a long load turnaround at the office. Great bird life on the large dam near the campsite. Nice quiet spot.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 483746

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:07

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:07
THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to reply. Your experience and advice is always appreciated. We look forward to our visit this week and staying at these camps. We are currently at the Murchison River Camp in Kalbarri visiting the national park today. Massive exodus yesterday of families leaving at the end of the school holidays!
AnswerID: 483818

Sponsored Links