Aftermarket Turbo LC 1HZJ-105 STD diesel

Hi all,

After much research and reading other posts on here to getting advice from my mechanic I have decided to go down the path of getting an after market turbo fitted to my Landcruiser. It's done 155,000 ks and is in top notch condition. I love everything about the car and yes have even grown to love the vinyl floor, manual window winders and lack of central locking. After driving through some fairly deep water recently I look at these things as an advantage instead of a hassle now. All it needs now is some more TORQUE! Geez it's a slug! SO.....

Can anyone recommend a good reliable company or particular place where I can get this done in Perth? Even better, is there anyone who has had this done to the same engine and can provide me with some feedback ie: where did you get it fitted and what brand did you use, how's it running etc. I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:52

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:52
Mine has done 158000k, your situation perfectly mirrors mine, I can get by with whats its got.
Ive taken mine across the Simpson, thru the center to Kargoolie, thru the Victorian high country twice and has always got me there.
Its got barley adequate power when it's got nothing in/on it and no other passengers, but as soon as the family is in with a full fridge and with mt recently acquired 1 1/2 ton of van on back, just a bit tooo pain full,
Mine going in on Monday, get it back Wednesday so I will let you know then, unfortunately, I'm in Brisbane, cant help you with an installer.
I'm paying a premium for my system, but the bloke I'm using has a very good reputation, he doesn't just bolt it on and turn the fuel up,I'm also paying a little extra for pyro and boost guages, really looking forward to Wednseday:)))

Shane
AnswerID: 484276

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:12

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:12
Brilliant thanks Shane, I'm the same if I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it properly and if it means spending a bit more then so be it. I have big plans for this vehicle and at the moment it's more or less a blank canvas but in the next 12 - 18 months it's going to be a beast of a tourer! I look forward to seeing the results of your fit out. Can you give me an idea of cost including labour? MM me if you'd like to keep it private.

Thanks again

Craig
FollowupID: 759526

Reply By: Member - Rob K (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:04

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:04
Hi Craig,

I've got the same vehicle but a GXL. Put the turbo on at 80,000kms and the intercooler more recently. Vehicle has now done 163,000kms. I fitted a 2.5 inch exhaust system at the same time.

I've had no problems with the turbo (AXT in Melbourne - supplied and fitted) and when it was first fitted, the dyno showed a 30-40% improvement in the power and torque areas - you'll feel the difference! The boost was set at about 6-8psi and fuel economy didn't change much from the pre-install figure of about 13l/100kms.

The intercooler I installed myself late last year and there was a further gain in both power and torque (probably about 10-15% on top of the turbo figures). The boost was increased to about 12-15psi. It's a bit hard to know the exact improvement from the intercooler as the vehicle was dyno tuned by a different company MTQ (they also do turbos and might have several outlets in WA). Suffice to say that after a trip to the Simpson Desert where I though the vehicle was getting a bit sluggish - even back to pre-turbo performance, and after a changeover of injectors and a resetting of the fuel pump + the intercooler, the truck nearly doubled in KW's and jumped 50% in torque to over 300NM from its drive in condition at MTQ. I'm pretty should the fuel was tweaked up a fair bit because the fuel economy has taken a hit, but this could also be partly due to the fact that the weight of the vehicle has increased a fair bit with time as I've added heaps of extra after market accessories over the years (see picture for current rig). The fuel economy now is around 15l/100kms with the roof rack on.

Costs: AXT turbo + 2.5 inch mandrel bend exhaust was around $3,500 supply, fitting and dyno tune. AXT use a Garrett, water cooled turbo.

MTQ costs quite a bit more and use a Mitsubishi turbo - but their service is excellent. I believe the MTQ turbo kicks in much earlier (about 1500-1600 rpm) than the AXT turbo (about 1800-2000 rpm) but I was after the increased power/torque for highway driving rather than accelerating from a stopped position so I'm OK with the slower pickup. You might want a differentconfiguration - something to investigate further?

I also fitted a pyro and boost gauge into a pillar pod to keep an eye on temperatures and boost. I was very suprised to see how quickly the temperature climbs under load with the current configuration - gets up to 500-550C very easily! Gauges were sourced in USA for about $250 delivered and pillar pod about $100 in Australia. I think ARB might have the pods but you can get them on eBay as well. Labour for installing the intercooler and gauges was zero as I don't charge for my own time so you'll have to factor in about a day's work - say another $1,000 to install these.

Hope the above helps and good luck with the upgrade.

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 484289

Follow Up By: WBS - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:18

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:18
I'm just confirming what Rob K has written. My experiences are much the same as he has described regarding AXT and MTQ. Just a note regarding my AXT turbo. I had to replace my turbo after about 25000km which was about 3 years after fitting, because it developed an oil leak. That cost me an additional $1500 as it was out of the warranty period. I added a pyrometer and a 2.5 inch exhaust also fitted by AXT but did not fit a boost gauge. That improved the low end torque a little bit.

In my opinion:
The after market turbo makes a difference but not as much as I thought it would, especially when towing my caravan. In hindsight, I should have bought a factory fitted turbo vehicle at the outset. Aftermarket turbos are a compromise. The 1HZ motor is old technology , very reliable old technology but old none the less, and not as good as the IHD-FTE motor. There is no comparison in performance. Don't go in thinking you'll get jaw dropping extra power. Be realistic and realise there is a moderate improvement before you invest $3500 or so.

WBS
FollowupID: 759549

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 07:35

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 07:35
I use a EGT guage that has an alarm. When the EGT's start to get too much, usually on long highway hills, it gives me(or anyone else driving the car) a nice warning to backoff. What is interestring is you only need to back of a couple of km/hr to see a large drop in EGTs.
FYI, I got 96 Rear Wheel Kilowatts when I dyno'd mine after fitting a Safari Turbo/Intercooler kit with 3" exhaust.

FollowupID: 759598

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40
Hi Rob, WBS and Mr Pointyhead!,

Thanks heaps for your wealth of knowledge and information on the subject. There is some really valuable information amongst your responses which I really appreciate. WBS, the link to the graph below would indicate that what you are saying about performance is correct.....not jaw dropping but enough to make a fairly big difference. A difference I would happily settle for!

http://www.mikevineturbochargers.com.au/4installation_diesel.html#dyno04

Good info also on MTQ vs AXT and also exhaust systems and gauges. Lots to consider here that I had not taken into account earlier so many thanks again.

Craig

FollowupID: 759612

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:57

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:57
Another important thing to remember is the R151 gearbox you have is not the strongest gearbox in the world. With the Turbo/intercooler you will be tempted just to leave it in 5th gear all the time (As I did/do). With the Turbo and intercooler I can drive up the Pentland Hills on the Western freeway out of Melbourne at 110 Km/Hr in 5th gear.

However, I have been warned that you should not use 5th gear under about 80 Km/Hr to get the best life out of the R151 gearbox. And things like going up the Pentland hills at 110 in 5th is not the best for the gearbox.

In my case I actually managed to wearout 5th gear as most of my driving is highway .

FollowupID: 759624

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:00

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:00
i fitted a DTS turbo to my 105 series over 4 years ago, unless you change the exhaust sytem your wasting your time. my plan was to fit the turbo one day and new exhaust system the next, due to the wife having a baby the turbo went on but the exhaust didn't happen for another week. whilst driving my fourby around for that week i thought the turbo was the biggest watse of money i had sopent, the minute i drove out of Beaudesert Exhausts driveway with a new 3" exhaust system fitted up, my opinion was changed completely. a few months later i fitted a front mount intercooler, once again a significant power increase was immediately noticable in seat of the pants driving.
long story short.... a factory turbo Landcruiser will always be a better motor then the 1HZ with aftermarket gear fitted to it IMHO, but if you are going the 1HZ route, fit a new exhaust, pyro gauge and an intercooler aswell for engine longevity.
AnswerID: 484321

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:44

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:44
Hi Rumpig,

Thanks heaps for the valuable advice. I agree that the factory would have been the way to go but the condition of the 1HZ I purchased I couldn't look past it. Show room condition at 150,000 kms so decided to sacrifice the Turbo for a vehicle that will retain it's value really well and be a blank canvas to build a really reliable tourer.
FollowupID: 759613

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:05

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:05
Mine was fitted just under the 200K mark, Its a DTS system and now has (give or take) 450K on the clock. I change oil every 7500km with a filter and boost is resticted to 10psi. It may spike to 12psi but will quickly settle on 10 and at 450,000km I would say it kills the 1HZ turbo doomsday crowd. The diff needs replacing and the motors still going hard.
AnswerID: 484322

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:45

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:45
Hi Howesy,

That's music to my ears cheers mate :)
FollowupID: 759614

Reply By: briancc - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:38

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:38
I had a Safari unit fitted by Fremantle Fuel Injection about to my 105 about 20k back. It had 200k on the clock at that time and was (still is) in good nick. I had the aftercooler and EGT gauge plus Beaudesert 3" system fitted too. Really happy with the result, Regularly go away with a CT and it is nice not having to struggle on the long runs and hills. Fuel consumption has improved both with and without trailer. I figure out that it will pay for itself in about 20 years. I would have like to have fitted the aftercooler myself, the horns shift a bit and a couple of panel are modified. that bit wasn't the most professional mod I've seen. But it would have taken me all day to fit the cooler.....
They did a before and after dyno check, tweaked the fueling a bit and presto. No smoke on full load plus torque to go. Exhaust temp has not been as high as a lot of posters have ... eh well .. posted. Mine Up Greenmount or Red HIll towing the trailer peaks around 500- 510. Never seen higher. Good mod inmy opinion. But as people say, it is old school engine and if the extra grunt is used wisely the engine shoud be fine.
AnswerID: 484355

Reply By: wr450tractor - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:59

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:59
Denco turbo and complete exhaust system $3100 10 psi boost 500-550c
now pulls like a road train with 2500kg bike trailer behind
AnswerID: 484757

Sponsored Links