Hot water heaters

Submitted: Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 17:39
ThreadID: 95188 Views:3221 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Evening everyone
We are looking at purchasing a hot water system. The options being either a Coleman/Companion water heaters or a heat exchanger fitted to the car. The coleman/companion types appear to be good value but they take up space and need gas but give instant heat once set up. The heat exchanger has the benefit of not taking up valuable space but the car needs to be run for a period of time to get hot water. Am very interested in other peoples options on the pros and cons of each system. Many thanks Daz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 18:58

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 18:58
We have a Coleman Hot Water on Demand, bought it 3 years ago. We have used it numerous times on several trips and love it. Never had a problem and never had any difficulties buying the gas canisters. Although we have a hose so we could use any gas bottle, we find using the canisters a lot easier. Had to replace the battery once and a new one cost $20 at Broome, a bargain in my books.
We find it easy and quick to set up and almost instant hot water providing good water pressure out of the shower hose. (We just use a plastic bucket to hold the cold water.)
Kevin
AnswerID: 484398

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 22:25

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 22:25
Had the Coleman about 4 years now,Its been great..Haven't had to replace the batt yet but make sure its always fully charged...Ive lent my shower out a couple of times or gone in another mates 4by at least we still can take a shower,if you have in car unit and your not using it...(the portability is great)...

I got rid of the there shower rose and hard plastic hose for better stuff...

It doesn't get that hot for coffee but plenty hot for showering..Last camp over a month ago i instead of using the Coleman 20 litre Collapsible containers i just put the pump into the pristine river making sure it didn't bottom out and suck stuff up (some people use a stocking over the end)...

So basically we had unlimited shower and the friends we had were blown away that you could have a hot shower in the middle of no-where for as long as you like...

If your near a river please you environmental friendly products...

Goodluck

Oh wait for a caravan camping show if you can,sometimes they throw in the bag,plus containers etc etc
AnswerID: 484408

Follow Up By: CraigB - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:08

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:08
At the Sydney (Rosehill) show the Coleman's are currently on sale @ $270 including storage bag.
FollowupID: 759697

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 17:16

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 17:16
Yeah that a good price...!
FollowupID: 759733

Reply By: GUJim - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:15

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:15
Hi Daz.
A bit over a year ago I sold my Patrol complete with its under-bonnet heat exchanger shower. That shower had been relocated through 3 previous vehicles and functioned well. 2 limitations of it were the need to have the engine running and that diesel engines had problems getting the water hot enough on a single pass for a comfortable shower. Pre-heating was an often used procedure but that limited the amount of hot water available.
So when I purchased my Pajero I decided that a portable hot water service was the way to go. A friend has the Coleman and it works well, but when the Companion Cube (Mk11) became available for $239 at Anaconda I rushed in and bought one. It is slightly smaller physically than the Coleman, but has no internal battery or gas cylinder. Comes with intake hose with pump, outlet hose with shower rose, 12V lead with cigarette lighter plug and gas connection hose (suits 4.5 & 9Kg bottles). Tested it over Easter and it works well. Very happy and nice & quiet with no diesel rattle while showering.
Incidentally I see that the Mk111 (I presume) is now advertised but I haven't seen it in the flesh. Presume that is the reason for the discounted price of the Mk11. The new one looks good with digital temp read-outs and separate outlets for shower and wash water. Possibly even thermostatic control of water temp, maybe?
Sorry for the long winded reply and hope it's helpful.
Jim.
AnswerID: 484429

Sponsored Links