ROOF TOP TENT – LWB PAJERO

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 15:21
ThreadID: 95314 Views:7904 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering a TJM roof top tent (RTT) for my 2010 NT LWB Pajero. Unfortunately, the roof of the Pajero is not as strong as I’d like and there is a weight limit of 100 kg so there are some restrictions as to what can be placed up there. As well the Pajero has factory fitted longitudinal roof rails which creates some difficulties with fixing the tent when compared to vans with the conventional roof gutters.
Should you have fitted a RTT to your Pajero could you share your experiences with me please by telling me: a) what brand and type of cross rails did you use; b) how did you fix the RTT to the cross rails; c) did you have any space left over to fit extra cross bars to carry a small mesh tray and wind deflector; and d) if so what brand did you use? Any real life experience you can share would be welcomed.
Camperman2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Super (NSW) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:53
G'day Gordon,

I had a roof top tent fitted to my NM Pajero which "blew off" when heading east towards Broken Hill in a fairly strong head wind. The cause, I believe, was that the front left hand Rhino Rack fitting holding the roof bar to the roof shattered. I have not used the roof top tent since. BUT, I now have an NP Pajero (as a result of hitting a bull near Boulia in the NM, not anything to do with roof bars) and had the factory fitted rails removed and a strip to anchor the roof bars pop riveted and glued in the roof gutters. I have not had any problems with this fitting and have carried a roof basket with second spare and miscellaneous other stuff all over the country. I recommend you have the same fitting done to your Paj - mine was done by Opposite Lock South Sydney on both vehicles but I'm sure ARB and others would also do it for you. The advantage is that it lowers the height of your roof bars/basket which makes getting into underground car parks easier. The only disadvantage is that it is difficult to replace the fittings that hold the roof bars/basket so I don't take them off any more, just undo the one bolt on each fitting that holds the bars/basket, remove one and replace with the other.

As to weight, I didn't have any problems with the roof top tent and myself (I weighed over 100Kgs then).

Hope this helps,

Phil
Regards,
Phil

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 484822

Reply By: GT Campers - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:28

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:28
The roof weight limit is a dynamic loading. Most rooftops weight 45-60kg so this is under the limit for pajero. An extra 100kg - you etc - when the vehicle is stationary is fine. My advice is to forget any extra jerries etc up there
AnswerID: 484882

Sponsored Links