Coober Pedy

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 17:49
ThreadID: 9540 Views:1775 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone let me know what the caravan sites at Coober Pedy are like and if there is a preferred Park?
Also - after leaving Coober Pedy for Ayres Rock - is it desirable to drive all the way or is it better to stay at another location before heading to Ayres Rock?
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:21
We usually stay at the caravan park on the right as you turn off the hwy, there is usually a breeze to keep the dust away, if you stay down in the town it can be very dusty. The park also has a great pizza place at the reception too. Also no tour groups and never very crowded.
when buying fuel in Coober Pedy go down the main drag and past the shops turn right and go to OME (Opal Miners Enterprises) it is sort of like a co-op, fuel is much cheaper (we've seen it 8 cents below the roadhouse up the top) and they will also let you fill water tanks if you ask when you buy fuel.
Peter
AnswerID: 41978

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:23
i agree peter, you cant miss the park it has a camel? out the front on the fence also have a loook around if you have time checkout the breakaways and the painted desert also plenty to see around town if you are a golfer checkout the local course but stay off the grass

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 304419

Reply By: bazza - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:10
GTee - agree with peter & GOB - thats better of the two - seriously think of stopping caravan park CURTAIN SPRINGS lieu the ROCK - you certainly can see the ROCK and OLGAS in 1 day if time is of essence (flog your 3-day pass in the canteen for half price) - if clouds are RIGHT stay for SUNSET - still plenty of time to get back to C/Springs .. regards
AnswerID: 41991

Reply By: Hendo - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:56
GTee

We've stayed at the park in town a couple of times, and found it more than acceptable. It is a Big4 park, and the advantage is being able to walk to town. It is clean and well maintained.
I would also recommend the miners coop for fuel and other things.

Hendo
AnswerID: 42014

Reply By: Justin - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:14

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:14
We stayed at the Oasis caravan park at the far end of town. Very nice facilities but the campground was a little cramped. We had people within a metre of our tent. We left fairly early and decided to head straight to the rock. We took about 9 hours all up taking the turn onto the dirt road 18 k's before kulgera towards Mulga (??) station. Was a long day but there wasn't anything really on the way unless you wanted to do a trip out to Lambert Centre (Geographic centre of Australia, east of kulgera)
AnswerID: 42030

Reply By: Clarry - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:16
Ditto re the parks - first one off the highway at Coober, just on your right ... all gravel, but plenty of space and clean. Re driving to the Rock.... in my view, you can cruise on up at the limit in 8 hours, which would include a couple of rest stops."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 42031

Sponsored Links