Diamantina Lakes

Submitted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:36
ThreadID: 95437 Views:1665 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody been up to the Diamantina lately? I am planning to go in a few weeks and am wondering about the road conditions in the area. Any recent info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Yabbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 14:40

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 14:40
Yabbo,

Heading down that way in the morning, and returning this Saturday. Will post a follow-up here over the weekend.

Do know that a body truck went from Davenport, up to Winton late last week, so it should be dry, if a little..........err, ....rough.

Would imagine the River would have dropped enough at the Lakes, for the road to be open to Boulia, if you happened to be going that way.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485289

Follow Up By: Yabbo - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 17:06

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 17:06
Thanks Bob I'd appreciate you update on the conditions.
Cheers
Yabbo
FollowupID: 760727

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 11:40

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 11:40
Yabbo,

Didn't get down as far as the Lakes, because I had to work. But it's a nice part of the country to work, just the same!

As mentioned above, the road is open from Winton down as far as Davenport, and would expect it to be the same south of there, down towards Farrars Creek. The mailman goes to Davenort twice a week again now, so imagine the road is okay, but treat with caution, if there's no evidence of the grader being along there.

Came back to Winton last night, from Brighton Downs, up the Diamantina River Road, to Old Cork, then on the road across to Cork Station, and from there up to Winton - Jundah road. The graders have done a "patrol grade" between Cork Stn and Brighton Dns, and have touched up all the wash-outs, but there are still odd wheel tracks to be aware of, and odd short stretches of bull dust.

Except for the odd patch of corrugations I thought it was pretty good, though it might cut up further, ie bull-dust, if there's much road train traffic, and little or no winter rain.

Suppose you could shorten my long-winded follow-up to the usual "drive to the conditions". Oh, and the River has stopped running, so road to
Boulia will be right. Just watch for any silt banks in the channels, they are still wet, and I was nearly caught in one on Friday.

Enjoy the trip, Yabbo,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 760943

Follow Up By: Yabbo - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:55

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:55
Thanks Bob

It is a few weeks yet before we leave so it looks as though things have dried out enough for us to head up that way. We will be coming up from the south and our exact route will depend on what we find when we get in the area. I am looking forward to the trip as I haven't been in that part of the country before.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Yabbo
FollowupID: 761099

Reply By: Member - Kevin O (QLD) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:46

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:46
G'Day Yabbo
I'd be very interested in hearing how you go - we're heading up there in July and it would be good to get a bit of advanced information if you had the opportunity to post something.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486027

Follow Up By: Yabbo - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:24

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:24
Kevin
We are heading up in the last week of June and the first couple of weeks of July so our trips may overlap. Nevertheless I will post a report when we return. We may run in to each other up there.
Yabbo
FollowupID: 761379

Sponsored Links