Cape Tribulation to Cooktown in off road c'van.

Submitted: Monday, May 14, 2012 at 22:26
ThreadID: 95573 Views:2864 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We did this trip about 6 years ago when towing an Ultimate off road camper. We now tow a 19' Phoenix off road c'van.
Whilst my memory of the track is hazy (and we did go Cooktown to Cape Tribulation ), I think we should be ok provided their is no rain.
Has anyone completed this track recently towing a c'van?
All comments welcomed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 23:45

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 23:45
Hi Ian

We were not towing, and it was a while back.

The only areas i thought an issue were south of Cape Tribulation; the switchback crossing the range near Cow Bay, and the steep descent to the north with the concrete tracks, where downhill traffic needs to get off the track to make way for uphill bound traffic. On either of these I would not want to meet anyone when towing a caravan, and I would not want to frustrate other drivers by taking a caravan. I don't recall how narrow the road was north from Cape Tribulation. I know people have taken off road caravans right through, but i would choose to take a tent on the Bloomfield and return via the inland road. If travelling further north, it is only a few hours of double up on the inland road.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485844

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 07:58

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 07:58
I have driven the road a few times, don't go there if any rain at all. VERY VERY step in sections as you know those these do have the concrete surfance.
I towed a reasonable sized boat from Cairns to C/town once, naturally aspirated troopy, I was in 1st in low range. What does your van weigh and what are you towing it with?
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485855

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 21:14

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 21:14
2006 100 series L/c T/D auto with diff locks front & rear and van weighs 3t loaded
FollowupID: 761156

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 00:19

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 00:19
So, with a bit of fuel on board, you're around 6.2 tonnes all up? Last time I was there, Bloomfield was quite steep... Have you ever done a hill start?
FollowupID: 761348

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 09:31

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 09:31
The only problem we had on that section was tour buses cutting corners on the up and down hill parts of the road. Had to stop and go into low range on one up hill when a vehicle took up all the road coming down.

Appart from being carefull on corners etc, you will have a great run.
AnswerID: 485861

Reply By: Member - Keith Berg - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:26

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:26
We did the Bloomfield Track thee or four weeks ago, in a rented Pajero on road tyres. We went from Cape Tribulation up to Cooktown. There are a couple of fords and a few switchbacks, but all the steep climbs are paved for the tourist buses. It was easy going.

The concrete ford below Bloomfield Falls can have a lot of water flowing over it close to the river bank on both sides. If it's been raining you might like to walk it before crossing. The locals told me a few cars had gone off after heavy rain. Downstream it's all crocs!

I'd take an off road van no problem. But not after heavy rain.
AnswerID: 485867

Sponsored Links